Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #1

Winterizing question - Greyhawk

I decided to winterize my 2011 31ss today. Didn't accomplish very much. Couldn't get the water pump to take up the antifreeze.

I drained the holding tanks - fresh, grey, and black. Opened and drained three low point drains (fresh water tank, and the 2 under the water heater located in the storage bay). Drained, then bypassed the water heater.

Connected a 30 psi air source to the water inlet and cleared all water from the lines. So far, so good.

Then I connected the tube that came with the rv to the water inlet that is used to flush the black tank, and inserted the tube in the jug of antifreeze, set the valves to 2-4 (sanitize / winterize lines). NO ANTIFREEZE was sucked up when the water pump was turned on. What did I miss?

I've winterized 3 travel trailers in the past that had a valve or two near the water pump to allow the pump to take the antifreeze. Do not see any valves near the water pump on the Greyhawk.

Any / all help will be appreciated.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Site Team

I`m kinda wondering why there is no winterizing kit on your water pump. With mine you turn the valve to the water supply off and turn on the one that is on the drawtube that goes in the antifreeze bottle. See picture. Does your pump not have these valves? If not, it sounds like your pump is drawing air in from the water tank or water inlet and not drawing from the bottle. Of course my setup is from a travel trailer, MH could be somewhat different.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
Then I connected the tube that came with the rv to the water inlet that is used to flush the black tank, and inserted the tube in the jug of antifreeze, set the valves to 2-4 (sanitize / winterize lines). NO ANTIFREEZE was sucked up when the water pump was turned on. What did I miss?
Mike,

You should have connected to the city water inlet... just did my Greyhawk...

Joe
SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO
JaycoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #4

JaycoJoe,

That was it!!!!!! Boy do I fell DUMB! I just went outside and tried it.

I thought I had tried both water inlets. Guess not.

When I was trying earlier, I had the fresh water tank empty. I put water back in the tank when my winterizing efforts failed. Maybe it was drawing air from the empty tank, like Crabman suggested. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Anyway, thanks to you both. I'm a happy camper again.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #5

This is correct. Worked with my Melbourne on city water connection.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #6

My pleasure Mike!... Don't forget to run some pink stuff thru the outside shower if you have one...Only thing I don't like about winterizing is not camping.... once a month we take it out for a ride and run the generator with a Vornado heater for a load...

Joe
SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO
JaycoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #7

I found with our 2010 31 SS the hose fitting to the water inlet must be tight. Any small air leak will not allow the pump to draw the red pop. Also to help the process keep the red pop container at a raised position until the flow starts. Takes a little patience.
daviddudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #8

Winterize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Copeland View Post
This is correct. Worked with my Melbourne on city water connection.
Just tried to winterize our Melbourne 29d following the procedures in the book (valve in 2-4 position,etc.) but 12v pump would not pull in the antifreeze. Tried multiple things with no luck. Taking to RV dealer tomorrow!
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #9

cutrello1,

I am only able to get antifreeze through the 12v pump if there is water in the fresh water tank. May be your problem, if your fresh water has been drained.

I think with the Jaco coaches, with no shut off valves on the water pump, like the trailers have, the pump draws air from the fresh tank, instead of sucking up the antifreeze. (See Crabman's post/pic earlier in this thread).

Be sure to pull the antifreeze with the city water inlet, not the inlet used to flush the black tank.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #10

Winterize

Quote:
cutrello1,

I am only able to get antifreeze through the 12v pump if there is water in the fresh water tank. May be your problem, if your fresh water has been drained.

I think with the Jaco coaches, with no shut off valves on the water pump, like the trailers have, the pump draws air from the fresh tank, instead of sucking up the antifreeze. (See Crabman's post/pic earlier in this thread).

Be sure to pull the antifreeze with the city water inlet, not the inlet used to flush the black tank.
Took my Melbourne to the dealer today and together we got it winterized. They were not sure what the problem was either. Well anyway it is set till we go to Florida for 3 months then I will worry about it later when I try to winterize again. Did not try putting fresh water in the tank first.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
Site Team

I would think putting water in the tank would only cause water to be drawn into the system instead of air, diluting the antifreeze if indeed the air was coming from the water tank. The best way to eliminate the tank is to bypass it with a valve as shown in the picture.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #12

After reading Crabman's post above, I went out and tried adding antifreeze. The pump pulls with the fresh tank empty. I must have not had a good, tight hose connection when I previously tried with empty tank.

Sorry,
Mike
Old 11-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
After reading Crabman's post above, I went out and tried adding antifreeze. The pump pulls with the fresh tank empty. I must have not had a good, tight hose connection when I previously tried with empty tank.

Sorry,
Mike
Looks like you`re a pro at this now Mike! Trial and error and asking questions is how we all learned this stuff.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #14

I had similar issues on my Melbourne not sucking up the antifreeze. I bought a small winterizing hand pump from Camping World for less then $10 and it works like a charm. Once all the lines are blown out, just pump the coolaid through the lines. Helps to have a 2nd person to assist. In truth, if all the water is blown out of the lines, using antifreeze is really just an extra precaution. But I'm generally exta-cautious, so there you go.
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #15

Have done our 29D twice since winter. Had an issue first time but found I did not have the line to the fitting tight at the fresh water inlet.
On the first try also forgot to close the by-pass vales on the hot water heater tank.
A learning process.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #16

I am a new owner of a Greyhawk (2010 31FK), and from reading the comments on this thread, there are NO other valves that need to be controlled except for those on the utility panel...is that correct??? That is everything (winterizing, sanitizing, fill, normal) is done from these two three-position valves.

I posted a question in the general chat area about not being able to get water to pump from the tank. Everything works OK in city fixture mode, but when I go to normal I have no luck. Most of the advice so far has been to find another valve like TTs have. But I haven't been able to find one. If there is one, it seems to be behind a panel under the bathroom vanity.

Ran out of time tonight. I am going to try and experiment tomorrow with a jug of water outside and the panel set for winterize lines. From the schematic of the hoses and valves I do see, that should be water to the faucets via the pump.

Any advice is appreciated from other Greyhawk owners. God knows the dealer hasn't been able to provide any. They told me you need to open/close the valves and the manual should tell me what to do.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #17

NoRegrets,

On mine. Once I have water in the fresh water tank using "City Fill (1&6)", I set the valves to "Normal (3&5)", turn water pump on, open a water faucet, the pump starts and water flows in a few seconds.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #18

Thanks Mike for the confirmation. With that information, and from everything I have read in the manual and looked over (and double looked over) in the MH, it sounds like there are no additional valves to control.

I tried my experiment of putting the panel in sanitize/winterize lines (2&4) with a jug of water outside to suck from with no luck. It looks like my pump might be bad. It runs, but never generates any suction.

Any experiences on how the pumps usually fail? I assumed it would be in the motor, and not the pump part...but mine is indicating otherwise.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by classact View Post
I had similar issues on my Melbourne not sucking up the antifreeze. I bought a small winterizing hand pump from Camping World for less then $10 and it works like a charm. Once all the lines are blown out, just pump the coolaid through the lines. Helps to have a 2nd person to assist. In truth, if all the water is blown out of the lines, using antifreeze is really just an extra precaution. But I'm generally exta-cautious, so there you go.
I would be very careful in blowing out my lines only. I have seen too many units with frozen lines by using this method (myself included). It takes approx. 1 1/2 jugs of juice to winterize and less than an hour to complete. Why take the chance?
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #20

Mike, did you get this problem resolved? I have a 2012 31FK, tried to winterized today, and appears to have the same problem, pump runs but does not suck up the antifreezes my pump does work in Normal position, and with some coaxing I can get it to pull water into the tank in the country fill position, just doesn't like the winterizing setup. Thanks!
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote