Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #1

Winterizing Seneca 37FS

Ok guys, went out to winterized the Seneca for the second time. I forgot what I did last season! So after opening and closing all the valves, I did get the job done. I would just like to what all the valves are for, and when you are supposed to open and close them! This is what I did

1. I first removed the filter from the canister, filled with antifreeze.
2. Drained the fresh water tank, closed valve
3. Installed suction hose, turned pump on.
4. Opened the three valves on the right side of the water bay, closed when antifreeze came out
5. Closed the valve on the ice maker (outside access) disconnected the hose connection
6. Pumped antifreeze through all outlets.

I then put a hose on the male connection going to the ice maker, is then blew air with my mouth through the ice maker. My wife did hear air inside the maker.

Will this be good enough for the ice maker?
Is their supposed to be a drain for the tankless heater? If so where is it located?
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #2

i just disconnect ice maker and push the pink stuff thru the line with pump
never had a problem in 3 yrs with ice maker
when i fill water up in spring i run water thru ice water feed till pink is gone then reattach.
i run each and every faucet, hot and cold ,until pink stuff comes out
i make sure to run the washing machine on hot then cold to put pink stuff thru
i flush toilet till pink run shower hot and cold till pink
i have regular hot water tanks so i just bypass and take drain plug out
Old 10-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nialll View Post
i just disconnect ice maker and push the pink stuff thru the line with pump
never had a problem in 3 yrs with ice maker
when i fill water up in spring i run water thru ice water feed till pink is gone then reattach.
i run each and every faucet, hot and cold ,until pink stuff comes out
i make sure to run the washing machine on hot then cold to put pink stuff thru
i flush toilet till pink run shower hot and cold till pink
i have regular hot water tanks so i just bypass and take drain plug out
Sounds good on the ice maker!
Old 10-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

I have a '14 Seneca TS and my Girard tankless does have a drain, it is located in the generator compartment just peeking out of the rotocast compartment the water heater is hiding in. Very easy to miss.

Also don't forget the lines to the washer/dryer, even if you don't have these conveniences installed. I remove the cover panel exposing the valves (in the wardrobe in a TS) and attach a short length of hose to them sticking into a 5 gallon pail and "crack the valves" with antifreeze in the FW tank, the pump will push it through and I close the valve when I get pure antifreeze coming out. Also don't forget to flush these lines out with fresh water in the spring!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have a '14 Seneca TS and my Girard tankless does have a drain, it is located in the generator compartment just peeking out of the rotocast compartment the water heater is hiding in. Very easy to miss.

Also don't forget the lines to the washer/dryer, even if you don't have these conveniences installed. I remove the cover panel exposing the valves (in the wardrobe in a TS) and attach a short length of hose to them sticking into a 5 gallon pail and "crack the valves" with antifreeze in the FW tank, the pump will push it through and I close the valve when I get pure antifreeze coming out. Also don't forget to flush these lines out with fresh water in the spring!
Thanks glad you brought up the lines on the washer closet. I will check them. It sounds like your heater is different than mine. Could you post a pic. Of the heater and the valve?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
Thanks glad you brought up the lines on the washer closet. I will check them. It sounds like your heater is different than mine. Could you post a pic. Of the heater and the valve?
Yes their is a valve located in the gen. Compartment. It's on the right side, at the bottom..
Old 10-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #7

Here is a pic of a TS drain valve accessible from the generator compartment.

Now I just need to find out how to access the heater and its piping so I can swap the tankless unit out for a traditional DSI propane/electric unit. It is inside the rotocast compartment and it may mean removing the belt trim molding to remove the outer panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Water heater drain valve location.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #8

I remember these days, before I moved to FL. Winterizing consists of shutting off the AC as the temps plummet into the 60's.
RogerSwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSwann View Post
I remember these days, before I moved to FL. Winterizing consists of shutting off the AC as the temps plummet into the 60's.
May we all eventually have your problems.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #10

I activate the solenoid on the icemaker until I get pink in the cube
tray area and see pink in the plastic water line outside.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
3. Installed suction hose, turned pump on.
4. Opened the three valves on the right side of the water bay, closed when antifreeze came out
What are these three valves for? How are they plumbed into the system?
Spot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:38 AM   #12

Winterizing Seneca 37FS

On the 2018 ts there are four drain valves. Fresh water tank, hot and cold water lines and a drain line for the hot water heater. Only the hot and cold water lines are in the bay.
In theory opening these valves and then opening your fixtures should drain a significant amount of the water in your system. Enough water to work on the system but not enough to prevent freeze damage. This will not drain the water filter. The 2018 uses a truma heater and opening the drain valve lowers the pressure so you can open the drain/filter on the truma without blowing the oring on the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #13

Ice maker shut off

I will be using the Seneca in Illinois this year and want to make winterizing more efficient by trapping antifreeze in lines I am unlikely to be using during the winter. For this to work, I would like to add a shut off to the ice maker water line down in the wet bay (or a heated area); does anyone know which one of those blue pipes goes to the ice maker. I thought I could install shut off on a tee from bathroom sink where you would think the water would come from but no. Maybe behind panty; again, no.

Any idea which ones go to washer/dryer?

This is largely to prevent the very exposed ice maker hose from freezing and to make winterizing fast if I know it's a cold night coming.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #14

In the 2018 TS the water line in the wet bay splits in two directions. One moves from the wet bay over the fresh water tank and back to the heater. The other direction moves forward to the area over the rear tires. This line then splits again. One goes up into the area under the bath sink. This area has the tee that supplies the washer dryer and is in a conditioned space. The other line continues and I believe this is where the tee is up to the ice maker. Then the line runs over to the shower, kitchen and toilet.

The area over the tires is accessible by removing two screws on each of the two mud flaps. Then the wheel well pulls up revealing a panel that has several additional screws. Once these are removed you can access this whole area. This to me is the most likely place for a freeze up. There is a duct from the heater in this area but I will probably spend some time in this area installing insulation. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #15

I just disconnect the water connection behind the fridge on the outside of the mh. Pump antifreeze through the waterline, then blow air through the ice maker.