Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Winterizing Whirlpool Residential Fridge

We have owned a 2019 Seneca 37TS for a week, and now DH is getting ready to winterize it. We have a 21 cf Whirlpool Residential Fridge and have been searching this forum, the Whirlpool site, etc. and one question we can not answer is: where is the water shutoff valve for the refridgerator?

DH sent an email to Jayco, and got the standard auto response, but no other reply. We also looked through the owner's manual, and it didn't answer the question.

We have read about using forced air to empty the lines, then run the water through the fridge by holding a glass under the water dispenser, running the ice maker until it doesn't make any more ice ... but DH really wants to turn the water to the fridge off before winterizing the rig.

We have both enjoyed reading the of posts by other Seneca owners who seem to be very hands on, so I am expecting to hear from one of you soon! You all have a lot of knowledge and we truly appreciate how you all share it!

Bob & Kathy
Rio Rancho, NM
TravelinCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #2

I have same question. The service rep who walked us through our Precept told us to unscrew the panel below the refrigerator that matches the cabinetry in order to winterize the fridge. They covered so much stuff that I missed part of the instructions. I think that is where the shut off is. Will be checking that this weekend....when we go to storage lot...
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:18 AM   #3

The water shutoff is behind the wooden vent below the refrigerator. Take the 4 screws out and remove the grill. You will see the water shutoff valve next to the furnace. I will try to post a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
CC1B44E7-DFA0-4877-BF12-4F0D4EB5D199.jpg  
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

Why shut it off prior to winterizing? That would leave water to freeze in the supply line, internal water filter, and the ice maker? Following....

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #5

Hi, we will be draining it of all water first, then turning it off. We want to turn off the water supply so that the antifreeze does not get in the fridge.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #6

PERFECT! Thank you so much! It was right there, and we are processing the rest of the instructions to winterize the rig. Thank you so much! Happy Trailsl!!

Kathy & Bob
Old 10-26-2019, 11:32 PM   #7

FWIW - I had a Whirlpool fridge in my Challenger and have another in the Accolade. Lesson learned the first year with the Challenger was to always allow the ice maker to cycle and make pink slush before calling winterization complete. The first year I blew out the lines, turned off the valve, and even disconnected the line to let water drain out. In the spring I went to sanitize and had water and solution going everywhere. There is a solenoid/valve at the pack of the fridge that holds water even after blowing out the lines and cycling the ice maker. Mine froze and broke during the winter cold spell. First I had to find an appliance place that had the part in stock (70 mile round trip) then I had to remove the fridge from the cavity so I could get to the back side of it and replace the part then get the fridge back in the cavity. The cost of the part ranged from 40 - 70 dollars depending on who had it.

For me lesson learned the hard way. Always allow a few hours of AF under pressure to cycle through the ice maker for winterization. When pink slushy cubes come out of the maker winterization is complete. RV AF is non-toxic and can be flushed out of the fridge in about 3 or 4 hours in the spring. The time to repair and time to winterize was the same. The cost to repair is greater. My experience is well documented on the Thor Forum site.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #8

Whirlpool residential fridge

I have heard from some that you should not put winterize into a residential fridge but how else do you eliminate water in the appliance? There are no drain valves below to drain. Jayco manual says to refer to winterize instructions provided with the whirlpool manual, but didn’t receive that nor does dealer know of that paperwork.
Jmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmel View Post
I have heard from some that you should not put winterize into a residential fridge but how else do you eliminate water in the appliance? There are no drain valves below to drain. Jayco manual says to refer to winterize instructions provided with the whirlpool manual, but didn’t receive that nor does dealer know of that paperwork.
I have been winterizing Whirlpool residential fridges with pink stuff for 6 years without an issue. I also sanitize them with the fresh water system every spring, again without an issue. Who is telling you not to winterize them using the pink stuff and what are their qualifications in life?

As a note, the one year I tried winterizing by using the so called disconnect the line and drain method, the ice maker valve broke and I was running around in the spring trying to find a new valve and the instructions for removing and installing the fridge from my prior class A.

Learned the lesson the hard way, don't listen to the so called experts, they will cost you money in the long run.

The only other option is to keep an air compressor hooked up at 35 to 40 PSI for a minimum of 5 ice maker cycles (normally 4 to 6 hours). It won't get all the water out of the system but it might get enough out to not cause damage in the event of a freeze. I will do this 2 or 3 times a year until our season comes to an end and a the wet winterization is done.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #10

Is getting the water out of the ice maker an issue? It is an ice maker after all. I would think just blocking the water to the refrigerator and draining or adding pink stuff would be sufficient.

2019 Jayco Precept Prestige 36H
GAD36H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD36H View Post
Is getting the water out of the ice maker an issue? It is an ice maker after all. I would think just blocking the water to the refrigerator and draining or adding pink stuff would be sufficient.
The icemakers have a part that is like a wet solenoid valve. I can't remember the exact name but it is between the water input and the icemaker itself. That part does not drain when the line is disconnected. and it doesn't matter if the line is disconnected for one day or one month, it does not drain.

In order to get the water out of that item you have to blow it out with air or run the pink stuff through the system.

The first pic is a good shot of the solenoid valve and the second is a better shot of the crack. I learned my lesson on that rig and always use pink stuff now. Removing and reinstalling the fridge to replace the part was the real PITA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SV.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	56242

Click image for larger version

Name:	SV2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	56243
Old 02-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #12

I ran the pink stuff through through the refrigerator until the water dispenser was flowing pink water. Then I ran the ice maker until it had pink stuff in it. That was last October. When I arrived in the south for the winter I ran fresh water until the despenser showed clear water and made ice and tossed it out 3 days. Everything is is perfect. I will never attempt to drain it. Tried that on my old RV and the icebox ice maker was destroyed.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #13

I winterized my fridge & my ice maker in my 2021 seneca 37k, by running antireeze through water water dispenser & made ice about a dozen ice cubes, while hooked up to antifreeze, leaving old filter in fridge connected, couldn't under stand why no pink water or no pink cubes, but tasted they both have antifreeze in them tasted horrible, other people told me that fridge filter removes pink from anitfreeze, makes sense
01 mixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmel View Post
Same here, we have a '21 Pinnacle 5th wheel, but I do have a low point drain for the Whirlpool fridge , and we have the Jayco fresh water drinking system. I plan on removing the water source, let it finish making ice, dump and open valve. Somewhere else I seem to have read not to run anti freeze through it as well. I plan on winterizing the entire rig with air after draining tanks.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #15

I have one of the strangest setups. The line to the ice maker runs from the island, across the floor to the slide with the refrigerator, OUTSIDE under the slide, up to the ice maker. OUTSIDE...up to the ice maker. Why would you have a four season unit with a water line outside? I know I know..because it's not a Jayco. lol
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I have one of the strangest setups. The line to the ice maker runs from the island, across the floor to the slide with the refrigerator, OUTSIDE under the slide, up to the ice maker. OUTSIDE...up to the ice maker. Why would you have a four season unit with a water line outside? I know I know..because it's not a Jayco. lol
Out '21 Pinnacle might have a similar setup, can't say for sure, I will go under the island and look for the 2 lines.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Out '21 Pinnacle might have a similar setup, can't say for sure, I will go under the island and look for the 2 lines.
Yeah, everybody says that's where you disconnect to drain the ice maker. I'm not sure how I'm gonna approach winterizing just yet. I feel better having AF in the lines. But then again, my '21 has PEX in it. I've worked with PEX and it's pretty damn durable. It takes a lot for it to swell and burst. Actually, it can swell then return to it's normal size. Just shouldn't happen a lot. PEX is revolutionizing RV's.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #18

There are "empty" or "by-pass cartridges for the fridge when running the pink anitfreeze.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Yeah, everybody says that's where you disconnect to drain the ice maker. I'm not sure how I'm gonna approach winterizing just yet. I feel better having AF in the lines. But then again, my '21 has PEX in it. I've worked with PEX and it's pretty damn durable. It takes a lot for it to swell and burst. Actually, it can swell then return to it's normal size. Just shouldn't happen a lot. PEX is revolutionizing RV's.
I have blue and red plastic lines, guessing they are PEX? I have one white small drinking water line going to the dispenser on the island. I see another but hid behind a panel. I will need to remove my wife's stuff and remove a few screws to get a good look. We live in Eastern NC and temps below freezing are not common. We are hooked up to 50A and I may just run heat in the unit if very cold temps. I will still drain and run air through the lines
Old 11-12-2022, 01:22 PM   #20

Whirlpool Residential Fridge Winterization

I have a 2022 Northpoint 310RLTS, and trying to winterize the icemaker.

I have:

1. Placed the pass through storage spring water intake into a bottle of RV antifreeze.
2. Turned on the refrigerator and the ice maker. Ice tray springs to life, tilts left then to right before stopping in level position.
3. Turned on dedicated island pump switch for freshwater at sink and ice maker.
4. Already winterized the fresh water tap at sink also used to supply icemaker. No air just pink stuff flowing at the sink only.
5. Waited 24 hours, freezer cold, but no ice?

What am I missing?
Jayco Rider is offline   Reply With Quote