Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #1

Wiring a TPMS range extender for 12V

Anybody have a recommendation on how to connect the range extender for my TST 507RV TPMS to 12V in the back of my 2017 Greyhawk 31FK? Seems like I'd want to wire it to something that isn't powered unless the Greyhawk engine is running.
ekdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdave View Post
Anybody have a recommendation on how to connect the range extender for my TST 507RV TPMS to 12V in the back of my 2017 Greyhawk 31FK? Seems like I'd want to wire it to something that isn't powered unless the Greyhawk engine is running.
I would run it to the running lights. You would have to have the running lights on for the extender to work but I usually run my lights when driving.

I had a travel trailer back in the day and mounted a rear camera using the running lights to power it. Worked great!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:57 AM   #3

That seems to be a popular choice. I might be able to wire into the trailer hitch electrical--there's a 12V aux supply that is only hot when the RV engine is "on".
Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #4

I powered mine from the hot side of a rear closet door light switch. Simple, protected, and about midway from the furthest toad tire and the front of the RV where the TPMS headunit was. It was always on unless I hit the battery disconnect switch (which I do when parking between camp outings). Worked well.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #5

I'm beginning to think that the best option would be to wire it into the 12V fuse panel. There are a few empty slots, and it would only be on when the house power is on (which is typically when we are on the road, or when we're in camp and either connected to shore power or actively managing the house battery when boondocking). The RV fuse panel is conveniently located under the bed in the back of the RV, so the location would be pretty good. And I can always pull the fuse if I need to disconnect it.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #6

I used the bedroom fuse panel.

I had the same question when adding the extender to my 2013 Greyhawk 29KS. The fuse panel at the end of the bed is almost a straight shot from the display on the dash. I used an "add a circuit" to add it in as there were no extra/open fuse slots available.
After 2 years it still works and I have a great connection to the boat or tow dolly/car I tow. I also have the TST 507 which I love.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #7

Yep, I think the fuse panel approach is a winner. Thanks to all who have replied.

Dave
Old 05-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #8

Anyone have a photo of how They wired their repeater to the fuse box or other 12v source ? I have a 2020 odyssey 29v. I imagine it’s simple but I don’t have a clue on how to do it. I know some say it’s not needed so they didn’t install it. My RV is 32’8” so I guess the furthest sensor from the display would be maybe 25 feet. Still can’t see a reason not to install it and the warranty said it could void your warranty if you don’t install it. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsis1234 View Post
Anyone have a photo of how They wired their repeater to the fuse box or other 12v source ? I have a 2020 odyssey 29v. I imagine it’s simple but I don’t have a clue on how to do it. I know some say it’s not needed so they didn’t install it. My RV is 32’8” so I guess the furthest sensor from the display would be maybe 25 feet. Still can’t see a reason not to install it and the warranty said it could void your warranty if you don’t install it. Thanks.
Where is your generator located? Mine is located at the rear of the coach and I wired the repeater into the 12VDC hot and ground lugs for the generator starting circuit. I put in a switch so I can turn off the repeater when it is not in use.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #10

Our generator is up front. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Where is your generator located? Mine is located at the rear of the coach and I wired the repeater into the 12VDC hot and ground lugs for the generator starting circuit. I put in a switch so I can turn off the repeater when it is not in use.

Tags
range extender, repeater, tpms