Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Xantrex Inverter

We have a 2015 29 ME with the standard Xantrex 1000w inverter installed by Jayco. I am planning a solar project with battery upgrades this summer and I am looking into the inverter situation. I thought I had read here that the inverter only powers one 110v outlet. Does anyone know if this is true? If so...which outlet? Is there a an easy fix to have the inverter supply power to all outlets or just a couple more? Also would like to hear from anyone that has added a second coach battery, the battery drawer space is a nightmare. Any help would be appreciated.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
I thought I had read here that the inverter only powers one 110v outlet. Does anyone know if this is true? If so...which outlet?

Is there a an easy fix to have the inverter supply power to all outlets or just a couple more?
It's that way in our 2016 31FK. The inverter powers one outlet - in our case it's the TV outlet behind the TV. It's not too hard to find the outlet. Just walk from outlet to outlet with a lamp and the inverter on.

When I looked under our bed, at the mess of wires hooked into our inverter, I quickly decided that I didn't want to mess with adding additional outlets.

When the factory faceplate is on the inverter, there are two outlets provided at the inverter. As wired by Jayco, the faceplate is off and there's romex directly connected to the innards of the inverter.

Absolutely it can be done, it just looks like something more than a quickie switch to me.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #3

Inverter powers the outlet by the front tv and the bedroom tv in ours.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #4

Talking

I had the same problem that you described. First, IMO, you need two house batteries if you want to use the inverter for anything other than a TV. I have a friend who is a contractor and he helped me install two 6V golf cart batteries. One is in the original pullout drawer and the other is in the cargo bay to the right (towards the rear). We strengthened the bottom of the cargo bay with 3/4 plywood. Then used 3/4 threaded rods that hang down from the frame. The rods are bolted to the frame thru holes that we drilled. On the bottom outside of the cargo bay, we put a steel brace that the threaded rods bolted to.

Next, I bought an 1800 watt Xantrex inverter and replaced the 1000 watt Xantrex. I tried to run a small Keurig-like coffeemaker. Well it didn't work! Further checking revealed that Jayco limited the performance of the inverter in two ways. First the original inverter was connected to the battery with 6 gauge wire. Two gauge is needed. Also the distance between the battery and the inverter should be about 5 feet or less. Actually 5 feet "round trip" or less would be ideal. So to solve these issues, we moved the inverter to the cargo bay with the one 6v battery it is well vented with several vents installed. We used 1 gauge wire to connect the inverter to the 2 golf cart batteries. Now came the hard part. The Xantrex inverters have a transfer switch so that circuits connected to the inverter will get power from shore power, or the generator as well as the inverter. Jayco set it up so only the TV outlet gets powered from the inverter. To power other outlets, you need to take lines out of the power box (where the circuit breakers are) and connect them to the inverter where the TV circuit is attached. We ran two 110 volt lines from under the bed down under the MH to the cargo bay with the inverter. To protect these 110 lines, they were run thru a garden hose. Under the bed, all the 110 lines (3) we wanted to connect to the inverter were joined in a junction box. A second junction box connected the "hot" 110 line to the inverter. I hope this makes sense!! Anyway, now the inverter can power many different outlets. It would not be wise to try to run many electrical devices at the same time even though many outlets are powered by the inverter. This was an involved project. I was lucky to have a skilled friend to help me. Actually I mostly handed him tools!

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:55 AM   #5

Anyone know where the inverter is located on the 2017 Gray Hawk DS31, I must be blind as all get out as I have not found it's location as of yet
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk View Post
Anyone know where the inverter is located on the 2017 Gray Hawk DS31, I must be blind as all get out as I have not found it's location as of yet

It's under the bed.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...1ds-44528.html
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
Old 05-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #7

Li-Camper
That does sound like a very involved project! I am sure you have plenty of battery power now. I remember a post on here where some one wired a 30 amp receptacle directly to the inverter. They could plug the camper into itself so to speak. I may do something like that eventually, right now I would be happy to get one extra plug wired to the inverter just for laptops, phones etc. perhaps the nightstand plugs would be easy they are right near the inverter.
I am also going to add an extra battery. I have been in touch with a couple of companies that make a narrow double battery slide out that I could make work in the original compartment. That would be my first choice.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:04 PM   #8

I have a 2004 Jayco class c 31ft, trying to locate the power converter, dose anyone know.
antonio101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio101 View Post
I have a 2004 Jayco class c 31ft, trying to locate the power converter, dose anyone know.

Not trying to nitpick - but the converter and the inverter are two different animals. The converter is usually easy to find and not hidden. It's usually a brown square panel down low. Ours is in the bed frame.

The panel door pops open with a push.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:32 PM   #10

In my 2004 Greyhawk 27 DS the converter was opposite the foot of the bed beneath the bedroom closet.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #11

Hi Tom And Deb
We have a 2016 31DS and the inverter only powers the Front T.V
Wish it was like yours.and powered the Bedroom tv
I have added a 2nd battery and hope to figure out how to power the bedroom
plug
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #12

Bobman I plugged my older Greyhawk directly into an inverter. You don't need a 30 amp outlet just get an adapter for a regular plug. You have to remember to always turn off the breaker for the converter and force the frig to run on gas.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #13

Powers TV and our residential fridge
Buying (solar flex kit Go Power ) the Flex 200 Model
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #14
M&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
You have to remember to always turn off the breaker for the converter.
Easily missed. Won't hurt anything except it eats a lot of power going nowhere.
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #15

So I'm new at Class C camping. The inverter in our 31FK only powers the Living area television. If the Engine is off and the parking brake is on, the TV turns on when off shore power and gen power, correct? Soooo...if we are driving, we CANNOT watch TV, correct? How can I charge/use an outlet for my laptop while we are driving? Or can't I?

1998 Coleman Seneca pop up
2014 Rockwood Roo 23ikss
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK - YAY!
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
So I'm new at Class C camping. The inverter in our 31FK only powers the Living area television. If the Engine is off and the parking brake is on, the TV turns on when off shore power and gen power, correct? Soooo...if we are driving, we CANNOT watch TV, correct? How can I charge/use an outlet for my laptop while we are driving? Or can't I?
There is a relay device located behind the outlet. Here is a thread on how to fix the outlet to stay on when driving.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...-on-11021.html
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
Old 05-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #17

This has long been a criticism of mine about the way this is set up. They install this big honking inverter and use it to run the most remote, inaccessible, useless outlets.

I get that they're probably required to do this for safety, but the utility of such a useful piece of kit is all but wasted. -end rant.

I have been playing with the idea of running an extra outlet off my Mw circuit to run the coffee pot, phone/tablet charger etc.

The other post with the link to how to disable the bypass will help you if you don't mind crawling up there and cutting a wire.

Good luck.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #18

Mine is under the bed
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote