Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #1

XM Satellite Radio

Anyone have satellite radio installed on one of the new class C's?
Recently purchased a 2016 Greyhawk 31ML (replaces the FS). When I brought it to the dealer recommended location to have the XM module installed they told there was no good place to run the antenna. They installed it in the window, but it only works half of the time.
Anyone else with a similar situation? Or if there is anyone who installed XM, how was the antenna done?
Don't know why Jayco didn't put an antenna in!
Feltonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #2

Feltonj
The Antenna needs a clear view of the sky, just like a GPS antenna. It can not be blocked by any metal. With that said I have mine center of my dash up against the glass in my TV and it works great. Best is always outside, but not often convenient.

Do you have any pictures of the installation?
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #3

Mine is mounted in my Equinox just above the windshield on the metal. That being said, I also have an antenna on top of my stereo cabinet that has to receive through the roof and the ceiling. It works with no problems.
Roadwarrior56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #4

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a picture but will get one for reference tomorrow.
Feltonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior56 View Post
Mine is mounted in my Equinox just above the windshield on the metal. That being said, I also have an antenna on top of my stereo cabinet that has to receive through the roof and the ceiling. It works with no problems.
Regular audio is no problem, limited but not blocked by metal. Sat radio on the other hand is line of sight but will transmit through plastic and glass. The New GM vehicles with the new windshields with embedded metal strand and metallic tint will also interfere.

This is what I do for a living, not fun but it pays the bills.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #6

I have an old portable satellite radio. It has an antenna I can plug into it with a really long cord so I run it outside a window (sometimes it works just sitting in front of the window depending on direction I'm facing) and find the satellite. I plug it into the "AV In" hole in front of the radio and have it play over the speakers. Now I would love to have this antenna mounted "permanently" but I don't guess there's a way to do that? No way to use the antenna on the radio itself?
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #7

I had mine installed in the front roof vent on our 01 and 08. From what I've been told it should also work in the front overhead since it is fiberglass. Running the wire can be a little tricky, but it can be done.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #8

Until earlier this year I had a Chateau Class C, had the antenna stuck up against the ceiling above the overhead bunk. Fiberglass cap on the unit, but I had dropouts about 50% of the time while in motion. Parked, not so bad. I tried forward on top the dash through the windshield like others have suggested, it was worse than on the ceiling. This was using an XM receiver.

I had come to the conclusion I was going to have to install an antenna on the roof, was strongly considering a high-gain marine unit since boats usually don't have good ground planes, just as most RV's don't. But then we decided to trade the regular Class C for our current Super C. I installed an external mirror-mount "trucker" antenna on the current unit, it works great at all times. Very few dropouts, no worse than my factory-equipped Ford Explorer. Both those radios are on the Sirius satellites.

I realize many units don't have the big mirrors a Seneca does, but getting the antenna up high is probably what will be necessary. I also think geographic location is important, and possibly even which service you have in a given area. XM works better in some areas and Sirius in others. Some radios can reportedly tap into both networks. Others are limited to one service or another. Even though they are one company, they still have 2 separate satellite networks.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xm antenna