Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Starcraft RV
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #1

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU vs. 2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 27BHU

Hi, I am new to the forum. I had also posted this same question on the Starcraft Owner's Forum before I saw that the Jayco forum also has a Starcraft section. So sorry if this is a repeat question for anyone who follows both forums .

We are considering 2 different Starcraft travel trailers: a 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU and 2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 27BHU. Both are in nice condition and have many similarities.

I noticed that the original MRSP of the 2015 Travel Star was S31,274 and the MSRP of the 2016 Launch was $28,884. The current average retail price of the Travel Star is also higher, by about 9%.

Does anyone have any insight in comparing these 2 units? They both appear to have the same construction components with the Magnum roof system, aluminum frame, and TuffShell laminated walls. Their length and weight are almost identical and feature-wise they are almost exact. So I was surprised to see one valued much higher than the other.

I tried to see how the 2 lines were positioned and marketed by Starcraft. The Launch was marketed as an Ultra-Lite, but the weight and construction type also seem to be ultra light. Was the Travel Star branded as a more premium unit?

Comparisons of the 2 units would be great, but any insight anyone has on either unit would also be helpful. We like them both and both are priced fairly, just trying to get a feel for any advantages or disadvantages of either one.

Thanks in advance!

Brian & Yadi
bsbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:33 AM   #2

We have a 2015 299BHU. It is positioned as an upgrade to the Launch series. I compare it to the Eagle line of Jayco. The height of the the 299BHU is 6" more, doors on the bedroom, dinette opposite couch (no bus stop seating), than the Launch.
The 299BHU is a lot to pull, make sure you have enough truck. My tongue weight is 950 lbs. We weigh 7800 lbs. about at the max weight when loaded. Also it is easy to overload as the capacity isn't the largest, so watch your weights.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
We have a 2015 299BHU. It is positioned as an upgrade to the Launch series. I compare it to the Eagle line of Jayco. The height of the the 299BHU is 6" more, doors on the bedroom, dinette opposite couch (no bus stop seating), than the Launch.
The 299BHU is a lot to pull, make sure you have enough truck. My tongue weight is 950 lbs. We weigh 7800 lbs. about at the max weight when loaded. Also it is easy to overload as the capacity isn't the largest, so watch your weights.
Thanks for the info tslarson. Have you been happy with your 299BHU? Any issues? Anything you suggest we zero-in on when looking at the unit?
bsbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbrant View Post
Thanks for the info tslarson. Have you been happy with your 299BHU? Any issues? Anything you suggest we zero-in on when looking at the unit?
Other than the typical issues new campers have it has been pretty good except for:
I would inspect the frame outriggers to make sure they are not bending, we had some of ours bend, and they had to be reinforced. The camper went back to the factory for the repair.
On another note we use our camper, in other words we tow it all over the place, compared to most people who tow it to a few local campgrounds each year. Its been from northern WI to Cape Cod, Glacier, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, and the Grand Canyon. I would guess we have pulled it 25,000 miles. Still on the original Tow Max tires.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote