Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #21

Thanks for the explanation, sorry I did not see it earlier.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #22

So I finally put mine on last night. Here is the dimmer module I ordered from Amazon:

Robot Check

Attached are some pics from installation. It works GREAT so far, and I'm super glad I finally did it.

I sealed the ends of the module with some flexible outdoor adhesive and added some red shrink wrap to close it up tight. I wasn't able to use heat shrink over all of it like I wanted primarily because I didn't have enough wire slack on the trailer. But I did use water proof heat-shrink butt connectors. I wrapped the whole thing up tight with electrical tape and tried to slide the module into the same track that holds the lights, but that didn't work. So while I was fussing with it, I noticed that the light track is sort of clipped onto the bottom of the gutter. So I was able to cut a small hole in the track and zip-tie the whole bundle up out of the way.

The remote doesn't work at any great distance; I'd say good up to about 10 feet maybe, but it functions exactly like I wanted it to.
Attached Thumbnails
Dimmer 1.JPG   Dimmer 2.JPG   Dimmer 3.JPG   Dimmer 4.JPG   Dimmer 5.JPG  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #23

Hey guys, I need some help. I ordered 3 Mini LED Controller Dimmer with RF Wireless Remote Control DC 5~24V 12A from Amazon, due to the fail rate that everyone says in the reviews. I have tried all three dimmers and they all do the same thing.....the led lights on my camper come on with the switch in the camper but the remote does not work...it will not turn the lights off or try and dim them but nothing changes...I have tired everything I can think of, I even bought new batteries for the remotes....I made sure I had the direction and the +/- correct. I have tried all 3 dimmers and and they all do the same thing....I think the odds are that all three cant be bad??....am I missing something? I hate I cut my camper wire and now this is not working. Can anyone help me? Thank you!
Wes1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #24

Can't answer your question, but I have a question of my own when someone with one of these answers yours.
Every time the led strip is shut off with the trailer switch, does the dimmer have to be turned on again and redimmmed or does it have a memory of the last setting?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #25

Here's what I did. Works awesome! Added a Dimmer to my LED Awning Lights.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27807
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Are those factory LED lights? I really want to install a dimmer on my lights but so many conflicting stories on if you can.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauby View Post
Are those factory LED lights? I really want to install a dimmer on my lights but so many conflicting stories on if you can.

Yes, factory 2015 X213 hated the bright LEDs felt bad having them in in a camp ground lit up lite Walmart parking lot.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Do you have an Amazon link to that bad boy?
Old 04-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Do you have an Amazon link to that bad boy?

Here ya go! Less than $9 shipped. http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Alu...ilpage_o02_s00
Old 04-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #30

Wish I had a better understanding of 12v wiring and such. I really want to try to dim these lights but am lacking the confidence to make this a DIY project.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #31

Remember guys, LEDs use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) for dimming. Basically it's turning the light on and off rapidly at different frequencies so the human eye perceives only a dimming or brightening of the light.

This has a couple inherent implications: 1) virtually any LED can be dimmed with a PWM dimmer, and 2) the dimmer MUST be attached DIRECTLY to the red and black wires going to the light. Many (most) of the awning LED strips Jayco installs are controlled with a switch in the command center. This switch uses a "common ground" and is NOT connected directly to the light (the wires go to the main distribution panel to control a circuit that then goes out to one or more lights) PWM cannot work on a common ground circuit.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes1356 View Post
Hey guys, I need some help. I ordered 3 Mini LED Controller Dimmer with RF Wireless Remote Control DC 5~24V 12A from Amazon, due to the fail rate that everyone says in the reviews. I have tried all three dimmers and they all do the same thing.....the led lights on my camper come on with the switch in the camper but the remote does not work...it will not turn the lights off or try and dim them but nothing changes...I have tired everything I can think of, I even bought new batteries for the remotes....I made sure I had the direction and the +/- correct. I have tried all 3 dimmers and and they all do the same thing....I think the odds are that all three cant be bad??....am I missing something? I hate I cut my camper wire and now this is not working. Can anyone help me? Thank you!
Is the dimmer module wired DIRECTLY to the LED? And is the dimmer module properly oriented? How far away are you trying to operate the remote? Mine has a pretty short range (like 5 ft, maybe, if the sunspots are just right).

I also find it highly unlikely to have 3 failures, even on something as cheap as these dimmer sets.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #33

Quote:
The dimmer needs to be wired into both the positive and negative leads of the lights. If you pick any other negative lead but the one from the actual LED lights it will not work.

On edit, same as all the rest above.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Can't answer your question, but I have a question of my own when someone with one of these answers yours.
Every time the led strip is shut off with the trailer switch, does the dimmer have to be turned on again and redimmmed or does it have a memory of the last setting?
Yes, mine keep the memory.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:56 PM   #35

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Camber_Bob, I installed the Dimmer just like you did...right by the LED factory strip. I used the fourm to order the dimmer and used the photos as a guide...I also read a lot before I did any work to make sure I did everything correct. I cut the Red/Black Wire where it comes outside of the camper and goes about 6 inches to the LED strip...I installed a waterproof project box...installed the dimmer in the box, when I turn the switch on in the camper the led's come on right away, I can hold the remote right next to the dimmer and Nothing ....not sure if it matters but I do not have the camper plugged in at the moment, just running it off the battery. Does that matter? Thanks again for all the suggestions and help with this.
Wes1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Camber_Bob, I installed the Dimmer just like you did...right by the LED factory strip. I used the fourm to order the dimmer and used the photos as a guide...I also read a lot before I did any work to make sure I did everything correct. I cut the Red/Black Wire where it comes outside of the camper and goes about 6 inches to the LED strip...I installed a waterproof project box...installed the dimmer in the box, when I turn the switch on in the camper the led's come on right away, I can hold the remote right next to the dimmer and Nothing ....not sure if it matters but I do not have the camper plugged in at the moment, just running it off the battery. Does that matter? Thanks again for all the suggestions and help with this.
Well, I can't help you then. I'm sorry. Perhaps I'm wrong about ALL LEDs being able to dim, but once you understand the tech behind PWM, that seems difficult to accept. I'm no electronics whizz though.

If I were you, I would try to bench test the module(s) on another circuit. I have a few LEDs on my workbench from incomplete projects past (that I was able to dim using 2 different types of dimmer modules), and I also have a couple small 12V batteries (from alarm panels and power supply boxes and such), so it would be easy for me to bench test the modules. If you've got some of these things lying around, this might be a possibility for you?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #37

TY to all who have added info on this mod!!!

The big question I have at the moment, had anyone with a 32 BHDS found the awning light wires inside the camper? I would prefer if at all possible to add the dimmer inside, but will do what's needed.

TY!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #38

Tslarson. Just a little FYI. I installed the same dimmer as you. Bought it off Amazon. I just emailed the manufacturer and requested a spare remote. They seem pretty decent and are sending me one for free.
My current remote works fine but since it is kind of small I'm worried I'll lose it.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #39

This mod was well worth the $4 cost of the dimmer.
Now I can have the whole area lit up like the sun or dimmed down to a respectable campfire dimmed level. And it's not obnoxious if I leave it on all night.
I used the manual knob dimmer and installed it in the storage area for easy reach.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
TY to all who have added info on this mod!!!

The big question I have at the moment, had anyone with a 32 BHDS found the awning light wires inside the camper? I would prefer if at all possible to add the dimmer inside, but will do what's needed.

TY!!!
need-a-vacation...My wiring for the awning LED's was right inside the front storage compartment. If you open the passenger side storage it was at the very top to the left. I had almost given up until I accidently stumbled across the wiring one day. Good luck!
Pepsiking is offline   Reply With Quote