Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2022, 10:07 AM   #1

Critters chewed every single wire in the furnace

I own a 2011 Starcraft Autumn Ridge travel trailer. The one with two slide outs. Last weekend and went to my property to perform some work. When I went inside the trailer to turn the furnace on nothing happen. So I went thru all the fuses and they were all fine. Then I noticed something have chewed thru the furnace wooden cover.

I unscrew it and found every single wire on the furnace chewed on

I was able to fix the furnace but now the problem is how did that critter got inside the trailer. So I found couple holes in the underneath of slide out. Basically there is a black tarp right under the floor of the trailer. The tarp is between beam and the edge of the trailer wall. About 10" wide.

When the slide out is open there is no access to it for the critters. But once I close the slide out there is a bent metal at the edge of the slide out that if I close it it slides right underneath that tarp and this way the critters can climb on wheel and jump on that piece of bent metal skirt and just chew thru the tarp and get inside the trailer.
Not my exact trailer but this is the bent I'm talking about

My question is can I install some kind of steel plates there to stop the critters from chewing thru that tarp? Or can I leave the slide outs open for winter so they can't have access there?
Once I'm back to my trailer I will take some pictures of the entrance holes and location
Attached Thumbnails
315090598_857263831981587_5370645751146567687_n.jpg   315004413_539116254728913_5748418815578369891_n.jpg   slide out foil.jpg   bent.JPG  
KrisIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #2

Squirrels and rats can jump up around 3' so either way they can get to your slide rails. I don't think leaving the slide in or out will make any difference. All you can do is seal up all the access holes and hope they don't chew through anything else. We had a friend who had over $3,000 in damage to elec and water lines thanks to a squirrel.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Squirrels and rats can jump up around 3' so either way they can get to your slide rails. I don't think leaving the slide in or out will make any difference. All you can do is seal up all the access holes and hope they don't chew through anything else. We had a friend who had over $3,000 in damage to elec and water lines thanks to a squirrel.
I'm pretty sure it's not rats since we have not seen one since we own the property. But we did find black walnuts in drawer and in closet of the trailer. So I assume it's a squirrel. We tried everything grandpa gus's pockets and tomcat rodent repellent, we tried the battery operated devices and still nothing works. I found which way it entered the trailer and plugged the hole with steel wool. Can't use expandable foam there since right underneath the hole we have duct system and it's getting hot and will melt the foam. I don't want any fumes in the trailer.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:14 AM   #4

I used silicone caulk to hold metal blocking material. Also helps to stop unwanted smaller pests like bugs and ants. Foam is better and they do make a low expansion foam that might work for you. There is also fire resistant foam that is made for as a fire block for construction.

As others suggest I used aluminum screen wire and stainless steel wool as the regular stuff rusts quickly and leaves a mess of rust dust and no protection.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I used silicone caulk to hold metal blocking material. Also helps to stop unwanted smaller pests like bugs and ants. Foam is better and they do make a low expansion foam that might work for you. There is also fire resistant foam that is made for as a fire block for construction.

As others suggest I used aluminum screen wire and stainless steel wool as the regular stuff rusts quickly and leaves a mess of rust dust and no protection.
I will see if the wool will work. If not I did see some fireproof expandable foam at menards. Will give it a try.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisIL View Post
I will see if the wool will work. If not I did see some fireproof expandable foam at menards. Will give it a try.
They also make a "critter foam"...

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote