Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2022, 04:55 PM   #1

Question DIY changing water pump 2011 Starcraft

(Repost from another group because I was in the wrong group, oops.)
I just bought a 2011 Starcraft Homestead back in April. I have never had to use the fresh water tank before as I have always had availability to city water. Now I'm in a CG that turns off the water in November so there's no issues with water pipes bursting.
I cleaned out my fresh water tank with a method I found on YouTube and other websites. I filled the tank with water and added the appropriate amount of bleach, then let it sit for 12 hours. When I went to drain the tank (with the city water disconnected) I turned on my water pump and it makes a very loud sound, like it cycled for the appropriate amount of time, but it really felt like it was struggling. Plus it is so loud I will really make my neighbors mad when I use it at 5 in the morning to take a shower.
So, I ordered a new water pump, strainer, and accumulator tank from Amazon. I bought a Seaflo pump and tank, and a Shurflo strainer. I did take a picture of the current pump so I made sure I was getting the right voltage, PSI and GPM.
I'm going to install it myself, as the only RV mechanic in the area is booked solid until the end of December (I can't wait that long to take a shower, lol). I have read many articles and watched a few videos that make it sound like it's not that difficult. I'm mechanically inclined, so I'm confident I can do it.
To others who have replaced their own water pump, is there anything I should be aware of or watch out for when I'm doing it?
Singirl_dnnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
Site Team

They are all pretty much the same procedure. I replaced mine with one from Amazon. It is quieter and it was just a pipe for pipe and wire for wire procedure.

Make sure it is mounted on something that will tend to dampen the vibration. Drain the lines so you don't have a mess when the pipes are disconnected. Your new pump should have come with a new input strainer. Also make sure there is some flexible hose connected to the input and output to again keep vibration from being transferred to the rigs interior. Also put some pipe insulation on the lines because they will vibrate. This will keep the noise from being amplified.

Good luck with the job and let us know how it goes. Mine was less than an hour job.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote