Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2016, 06:35 AM   #1

First time out

First outing. Visited a local campground for a "shake down" trip. Everything worked! Rained the second day. At least I got to check for leaks!
Attached Thumbnails
20160429_194901x.jpg   20160501_104051x.jpg  
Old 05-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #2

Good times!!! Always fun to have that shakedown trip and get the camping year formally started. A new camper makes it that much better! ENJOY!!!
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
LDW

Getting ready to take ours out for the first time. Hope we have the same good luck you had with yours. Always a worry the first time you really travel and set up for several days. Last new camper we bought took about 3 trip to get all the dust settled. No big problems, just little things that shook loose or needed adjustment. Glad you got a good start..
LDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #4

Congrats on your first trip.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #5

We are fortunate to have a great CAMP GROUND close to us about 25-miles away called WESTMORELAND STATE PARK...

They have three sections for Big Rigs, Tent camping and the B SECTION which has Tents and smaller Trailers sites some with Electric and Water...

I got my favorite spot and we go there alot. Especially great to check out some of my mods before getting up on the High Country away from everything...

The rangers that lives on the camp ground doesn't mind me at all coming after their camping season has closed down. I can set and run everything from the batteries just fine. I'll be all setup and he will come down and sit a talk awhile haha...

The next town down has a LOWES and where I live has a WALMART so great place to do a shakedown for my battery and Radio Ops mods...

Sometimes I just go down there and setup for two or three days by myself to inventory things and see what else I might need for my OFF-ROAD camping...

They have deer that come out at dusk and lots of squirrels running around... They also have a pretty neat River Beach side trails and some tall River Edge overlooks. The Potomac is a couple miles wide at this location.

Westmoreland State Park

I've got another spot that is a NO HOOKUP SITE in Section B at very West portion of it where the camping site is really off to itself. I can back my OFF-ROAD trailer way back off the road here and I like to setup here and play with my Ham Radio and test some different long wire antennas as well as checking out my batteries for long term use. etc... I can make all kinds of squawking noises here and not bother anyone haha...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #6

First Time out and Shake Down

well,
Picked up our 2017 Autumn Ridge 289BHS and 4 days later hauled her up to Tennessee for the first trip. left out of Ft. Myers FL and headed straight into the mountains lol
we stayed at Roan Mountain State Park for a week. very nice park , however i had to drive straight up hill and around a bath house then back up my rig into our site uphill. Not to bad but I'm from florida and its pretty flat here so that was anxiety #1 out of the way which includes towing my rig on the local mountain roads to get in there lol. Rained every night but the daily weather was awesome even though they where in a HEATWAVE .
Put 1,500 miles on the trailer and only had 1 trim piece rattle loose above the entry door which i will fix myself seing the screw broke they used ( i will be selective for sure as to what the dealer touches and i do myself)! everything worked flawlessly and i think i made a good choice for a first travel trailer.i just got to figure out this picture thing and i will post a pic of my rig , yes I'm new so go easy
Jason
RECON2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #7

Congrats on the successful first outing!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
LDW

Glad you had a successful first trip. Always nervous until you get the first one behind you. Is something going to rattle loose on the trip, will it be a problem or easy to fix and the ever present first time getting into the camping spot and all set up.

We took our 2017 24RKS 5th wheel out for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Drove the mountains of WV to Canaan Valley State Park. Camper really pulled nice. Had one piece of trim that came loose. Easy fix. Learned a lot about the camper and the easiest way to get it leveled and set up. I'm sure we will have lots more lessons to learn and a few more things to tighten up, but we felt we had a good first trip.

Leaving for Smith Mountain Lake tomorrow so we will see if we really learned anything or not.
LDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #9

You bet !! it is my first RV but after our first trip I'm as hooked as i thought id be... after we got home i went back out for a quick weekend trip near home the next weekend lol if a single trim piece is as bad as your first trip out was I'm guessing we made good choices.
congrats to you as well
YEASU FT-2900R Mobile 2 Meter Rig , President Lincoln 2 - 10 Meter Rig
KM4ULR Amateur Radio operator
RECON2278 is offline   Reply With Quote