Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #1

Floor Repair - TV dropped on floor

I recently forgot to take my TV down from the shelf from above my Refrigerator on my Starcraft 176RB (Jayco 17Z) and it dropped on the floor during transit creating a 1" hole in the linoleium. I'll upload a pic later but I have a 1" by 1/2" hole in the flooring in which the linoleum has been pushed down into. It looks like it's crushed the underlaying material. I'm trying to sell the trailer which is in perfect shape otherwise and this is going to make it difficult to sell even though all else is good.

Any ideas on how to fix this and make the repair look good?
thomsonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:07 AM   #2

Matching the linoleium is going to be your hardest task! Is it one solid sheet, or is it squares? If its a solid sheet, I'm stumped on how you can make it look like it was; if it's in squares, then you should be able to remove the damaged piece, fix the floor hole, and then remove a square from under the sink or (?) to use as the replacement, and used the damaged piece from where you "stole" the other pice from.

Is it possible to still get this linoleium from the manufacturer?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #3

Pic Enclosed

If I could get the linoleum pushed down into the floor up I might be able to fill the hole with something that hardens and then create a repair as best I can
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0836.jpg  
thomsonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #4

A pick

You may be able to get the linoleum up with a "dental pick" at least that is what I call them. These little tools are available at Harbor Freight for a very low price. They are very small and I believe an L shaped one could pick that torn piece up. Perhaps fill with something like "Durhams Water Putty" if it is still available. Dries rock hard and is, if I remember correctly, a light tan color. Hope this helps.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #5

Does the hole go all the way through the floor underlayment material and open to the outside underneath? From your description I'd say no, that there is a 'pocket' that could hold some type of filler material.

The photo seems to show a 'flap' of linoleum. If so, if that 'flap' is pulled up would it come close to matching the edges of the hole?

I've never worked on anything like problem that you have. However, I'm thinking that if you can carefully pull the flap up and then fill the hole to level, you could then glue the flap back down to be level with the rest of the floor. I haven't a clue how you would hide the edges of the flap. It may not look like new, but maybe it would be passable.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #6

If you can find a matching area of flooring, under a cabinet or bench, you can carefully cut the "good" piece out, larger than the repair. You then take the piece you cut out, overlay it on the damaged area. Then take a very sharp knife and typically using a straight edge, you cut the damaged flooring and the new flooring. Remove the damaged flooring, repair the sub floor and glue the new flooring in place. Make sure you get a piece that will match patterns, color etc.

If you don't want to do it yourself, a flooring person does it on a regular basis...actually works on many materials...linoleum, carpet, veneers, etc.

Good Luck. Durhams wood putty works well, dry's fast and hard.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:43 AM   #7

They make kits to repair linoleum floors. I used it in my bathroom to repair a tear my son made with his riding boots. Worked great!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote