Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I wasn't questioning your post, I was providing a clarification for readers (especially newbies) that there is a difference between "published" and "actual" dry weights.

Lots of folks have purchased new trailers thinking the published dry weights are an accurate representation of the product, only to find out that once they get it home and load it the unit is much heavier then they had originally figured. The majority of RV sales people use the published weights when speaking to customers.

There are a number JOF threads/posts that touch on this dry weight difference, and in every case the JOF member was surprised at the weight delta.

Bob
but you agree for the purpose of THIS post my info is correct?

we are comparing apples to apples

Old 09-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #12

My TV is rated by Toyota to be able to tow up to 650 TW/6500 lbs so I am not worried about the weight of the Starcraft. Unless I pile everything I own into the front and overload the hitch. I like the smaller TTs (which is why we bought the Swift) and just thought the Starcraft had a nicer floorplan with a few of the extras that my wife and I like. There is no wardrobe and the storage compartments do seem to be smaller and lawkwardly situated. I do agree that it is priced on the higher side though.

BTW nbhybrid the Starcraft has the same size holding tank as the Swift which is a bit of a bummer.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
BTW nbhybrid the Starcraft has the same size holding tank as the Swift which is a bit of a bummer.
the starcraft 19BHS you are talking about has a 30.8 gallon black tank compared to your 9 and a 30.8 gray compared to your 15
Old 09-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #14

I stand corrected. That's what I get for trusting the dealer's (Whitehorse RV) spec sheet. They have the tank listed at 9 gls. I never looked at the Starcraft website. Now I'm wondering what else they got wrong.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I stand corrected. That's what I get for trusting the dealer's (Whitehorse RV) spec sheet. They have the tank listed at 9 gls. I never looked at the Starcraft website. Now I'm wondering what else they got wrong.

well perhaps the website is wrong in their defense
Old 09-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #16

Hmmm. A conundrum.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I do agree that it is priced on the higher side though.
15995 doesn't seem to expensive
Old 09-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #18

Where did you see that price? I keep finding them in the 19- 20 thousand range.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Where did you see that price? I keep finding them in the 19- 20 thousand range.

right beside you
http://www.schreckrv.com/2015-starcr...er-pa-i1158928
Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
lol..most of us can go by dry weight. Just because you have CC doesn't mean your individual needs change.
There are a lot of trailers with 2 tons of CC...are you saying if you had one you would use all 4000lbs for stuff

bottom line it is 400lbs more like I stated
Wait, what are you saying? That we all tow closer to published dry weight than GVWR? Dry weight just isn't a realistic number, not even for a WAG on numbers. You can rationalize that the dry weight is a good number to use, and lot of folks like yourself who tow with small vehicles do. But that's where folks get into trouble. The shipped weight alone could skew the difference by another 300# over your perceived 400#, making the difference 700#. Larger trailers have bigger, heavier options. I know I'm towing much closer to my GVWR than the published dry weight, and I'd bet that you are too, by at least 500# over your dry weight.

Sure, most of us may not use all their CC. But the reality is that when folks have more space available, they take more stuff. You can't assume that because you've disciplined yourself to pack light that others will too. Not to mention that one's needs may not change, but the desire for more comforts and conveniences do.

That's about all I'm going to say on this now. I know that you have you're thoughts and I have mine. And no, I don't use my entire capacity either, but I'm a realist.That said, if you can find me one documented case where someone is actually towing a trailer at its dry weight, I'll eat crow.

Closed Thread