Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Wait, what are you saying? That we all tow closer to published dry weight than GVWR? Dry weight just isn't a realistic number, not even for a WAG on numbers. You can rationalize that the dry weight is a good number to use, and lot of folks like yourself who tow with small vehicles do. But that's where folks get into trouble. The shipped weight alone could skew the difference by another 300# over your perceived 400#, making the difference 700#. Larger trailers have bigger, heavier options. I know I'm towing much closer to my GVWR than the published dry weight, and I'd bet that you are too, by at least 500# over your dry weight.

Sure, most of us may not use all their CC. But the reality is that when folks have more space available, they take more stuff. You can't assume that because you've disciplined yourself to pack light that others will too. Not to mention that one's needs may not change, but the desire for more comforts and conveniences do.

That's about all I'm going to say on this now. I know that you have you're thoughts and I have mine. And no, I don't use my entire capacity either, but I'm a realist.That said, if you can find me one documented case where someone is actually towing a trailer at its dry weight, I'll eat crow.
I completely understand weights..lets get that straight. I believe I am very knowledgeable and helpful to people on this site.

I will say this one more time as I did in very detail to Rustic....

for the purpose of THIS thread we are talking trailer to trailer...THATS IT

Apples to apples.....Dry weight to dry weight..........OKAY???????

They are 450 lbs difference in DRY weights.....

THIS IS NOT A THREAD DISCUSSING LOADED WEIGHTS.

I am unsure what your comment about "you people with small vehicles" meant but it sounds a lot like an RV.Net comment and I don't like it. I know how to tow ok.

and I completely disagree that people take more stuff because they can. Maybe some do but most like me take what they need.....it doesn't change no matter what the CC is.

I hope you understand now
Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post

I am unsure what your comment about "you people with small vehicles" meant but it sounds a lot like an RV.Net comment and I don't like it. I know how to tow ok.
Not at all. And if it came off that way I apologize. With a small tow vehicle you have to think it through differently and be far more conscious of every pound, and my comment was an acknowledgement of that. I've knowingly towed very close to capacity twice over the years, so I know exactly where are you with having to watch weights. All the more so why I am so adamant about ignoring dry weight as an unrealistic number.

Quote:
and I completely disagree that people take more stuff because they can. Maybe some do but most like me take what they need.....it doesn't change no matter what the CC is.
You and I obviously live in different worlds when it comes to this. Like I said you are probably very disciplined, but there's a reason people want big trailers with lots of storage space. So they can fill it.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #23
Site Team

I think this one has gone about as far as it can and should. Thread closed.
Closed Thread