Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #1

I was looking at a Starcraft

I was passing by the dealership where I bought my Jayco and saw a small 2015 Starcraft with a rear slideout. Its a new design as far as I can tell. Its the Starcraft Launch 19BHS. I really like the floorplan a lot more than the Jayco Swift 184BH that I have. It looks like a winner as it is only weighs a little more has a power awning, and a dual axle. Also Starcraft nows gives the same two year warranty as Jayco. I wasn't exactly in the market for a new TT but this one got my attention. Has anyone else seen it and what are some of your thoughts?
Old 09-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

it is a 1000 lbs more.....that is more than a little but at least it has holding tanks. Jayco and the 9 gallon black is no good
Old 09-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #3

It's an interesting floor plan especially if your limited on what you can tow. It will be interesting if JAYCO comes out with something similar. There for a while they had a little duplication in floor plans, but that may be going away.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's an interesting floor plan especially if your limited on what you can tow. It will be interesting if JAYCO comes out with something similar. There for a while they had a little duplication in floor plans, but that may be going away.
they do sort of...the X213 is only 400 lbs heavier and more importantly it is a FOOT wider....big difference in comfort for only 400 lbs.

Once you are in between that 3500-5500lb range the TV is generally the same. so if you can tow the starcraft you can likely tow the nicer jayco. although I am sure the jayco costs more
Old 09-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #5

As said, more than a little heavier. 4,750# GVWR as opposed to 3,500# for your Swift. The X213 nbhybrid cites is not 400# more, its 750# more at 5,500# GVWR. Never go by dry weight. Not a single one of us has a trailer that actually weighs the dry weight when towing.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
As said, more than a little heavier. 4,750# GVWR as opposed to 3,500# for your Swift. The X213 nbhybrid cites is not 400# more, its 750# more at 5,500# GVWR. Never go by dry weight. Not a single one of us has a trailer that actually weighs the dry weight when towing.

lol..most of us can go by dry weight. Just because you have CC doesn't mean your individual needs change.
There are a lot of trailers with 2 tons of CC...are you saying if you had one you would use all 4000lbs for stuff

bottom line it is 400lbs more like I stated
Old 09-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

I really like this floor plan too! More importantly, I like the slide as opposed to the hybrid tents. We're looking at moving out of our pup and are considering this as an option.

My husband prefers the Jayco since it "claims" to have a king bed in the slide. He's 6'6"/270lbs, so a queen can get pretty tight. I, on the other hand, don't see why one wouldn't just go with a larger TT for the price. Seems like there would be tons more storage and room for a family to grow. But, I guess it all depends on what you can tow.
"Work gets in the way of camping!"
Old 09-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
lol..most of us can go by dry weight.....snip
If by "most" you mean RV sales representatives, then I would agree

For reader clarification it should be noted that Jayco's published dry weights (web site, brochures...., what's being referenced here) are not representative of actual as-shipped dry weights, actual dry weights (UVW) are identified on the yellow sticker attached to the trailer. Depending on the particular model the actual UVW ship weight can very from 150lbs to 800lbs more then the published dry weights.

Quote:
snip......bottom line it is 400lbs more like I stated......snip
.... Correct, only when comparing inaccurate published dry weights.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Old 09-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
If by "most" you mean RV sales representatives, then I would agree

For reader clarification it should be noted that Jayco's published dry weights (web site, brochures...., what's being referenced here) are not representative of actual as-shipped dry weights, actual dry weights (UVW) are identified on the yellow sticker attached to the trailer. Depending on the particular model the actual UVW ship weight can very from 150lbs to 800lbs more then the published dry weights.

.... Correct, only when comparing inaccurate published dry weights.

Bob
I really do not understand what is going here?????? why are you questioning my post?

Sure PUBLISHED dry weights are not accurate but I am quoting base weights of both units dry

I am unsure why you are saying I am incorrect.....We are not talking whether it can carry more or if it CAN weigh more I am stating FACTS...

The dry weight of the Starcraft is 3575 the Jayco is 4005...those are the two facts...what happens after they are loaded doesn't pertain to this conversation
Old 09-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... why are you questioning my post?.....snip
I wasn't questioning your post, I was providing a clarification for readers (especially newbies) that there is a difference between "published" and "actual" dry weights.

Lots of folks have purchased new trailers thinking the published dry weights are an accurate representation of the product, only to find out that once they get it home and load it the unit is much heavier then they had originally figured. The majority of RV sales people use the published weights when speaking to customers.

There are a number JOF threads/posts that touch on this dry weight difference, and in every case the JOF member was surprised at the weight delta.

No where in my post did I state you were incorrect.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Old 09-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I wasn't questioning your post, I was providing a clarification for readers (especially newbies) that there is a difference between "published" and "actual" dry weights.

Lots of folks have purchased new trailers thinking the published dry weights are an accurate representation of the product, only to find out that once they get it home and load it the unit is much heavier then they had originally figured. The majority of RV sales people use the published weights when speaking to customers.

There are a number JOF threads/posts that touch on this dry weight difference, and in every case the JOF member was surprised at the weight delta.

Bob
but you agree for the purpose of THIS post my info is correct?

we are comparing apples to apples
Old 09-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #12

My TV is rated by Toyota to be able to tow up to 650 TW/6500 lbs so I am not worried about the weight of the Starcraft. Unless I pile everything I own into the front and overload the hitch. I like the smaller TTs (which is why we bought the Swift) and just thought the Starcraft had a nicer floorplan with a few of the extras that my wife and I like. There is no wardrobe and the storage compartments do seem to be smaller and lawkwardly situated. I do agree that it is priced on the higher side though.

BTW nbhybrid the Starcraft has the same size holding tank as the Swift which is a bit of a bummer.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
BTW nbhybrid the Starcraft has the same size holding tank as the Swift which is a bit of a bummer.
the starcraft 19BHS you are talking about has a 30.8 gallon black tank compared to your 9 and a 30.8 gray compared to your 15
Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #14

I stand corrected. That's what I get for trusting the dealer's (Whitehorse RV) spec sheet. They have the tank listed at 9 gls. I never looked at the Starcraft website. Now I'm wondering what else they got wrong.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I stand corrected. That's what I get for trusting the dealer's (Whitehorse RV) spec sheet. They have the tank listed at 9 gls. I never looked at the Starcraft website. Now I'm wondering what else they got wrong.

well perhaps the website is wrong in their defense
Old 09-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #16

Hmmm. A conundrum.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I do agree that it is priced on the higher side though.
15995 doesn't seem to expensive
Old 09-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #18

Where did you see that price? I keep finding them in the 19- 20 thousand range.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Where did you see that price? I keep finding them in the 19- 20 thousand range.

right beside you
http://www.schreckrv.com/2015-starcr...er-pa-i1158928
Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #20

Quote:
lol..most of us can go by dry weight. Just because you have CC doesn't mean your individual needs change.
There are a lot of trailers with 2 tons of CC...are you saying if you had one you would use all 4000lbs for stuff

bottom line it is 400lbs more like I stated
Wait, what are you saying? That we all tow closer to published dry weight than GVWR? Dry weight just isn't a realistic number, not even for a WAG on numbers. You can rationalize that the dry weight is a good number to use, and lot of folks like yourself who tow with small vehicles do. But that's where folks get into trouble. The shipped weight alone could skew the difference by another 300# over your perceived 400#, making the difference 700#. Larger trailers have bigger, heavier options. I know I'm towing much closer to my GVWR than the published dry weight, and I'd bet that you are too, by at least 500# over your dry weight.

Sure, most of us may not use all their CC. But the reality is that when folks have more space available, they take more stuff. You can't assume that because you've disciplined yourself to pack light that others will too. Not to mention that one's needs may not change, but the desire for more comforts and conveniences do.

That's about all I'm going to say on this now. I know that you have you're thoughts and I have mine. And no, I don't use my entire capacity either, but I'm a realist.That said, if you can find me one documented case where someone is actually towing a trailer at its dry weight, I'll eat crow.
Closed Thread