Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #1

Slideout Question

I have a 2017 266RKS Autumn Ridge that is now going on two years old. It has been defect free since new and is the best RV we have ever owned. It has one slide out that has been trouble free.

My question is about the slide mechanism...I am clueless as to its type and how it works. I am pretty sure it is a rack and pinion system but I can't find any access to the motor, nor does the owner's manual show the location.

So does anyone have knowledge of how the slide works in the Autumn Ridge and where the motor is located? I also would like to know if there is a manual way to retract the slide. When I sent an E-mail to Starcraft with this question they just said to refer to my owner's manual. The owners manual has examples of various mechanisms, but none seem to be specific to my trailer.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #2

Talking

I did a Google search for some pictures of your camper and it looks like a Through Frame system.
Here is a manual for it. https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...Out-Manual.pdf

You can look at some YouTube videos on it. They have always worked pretty well. All you need to do is keep it clean. I also put some CRC Dry PTFE Lube on it. https://www.amazon.com/CRC-03044-Lub.../dp/B07MFGZ5J3

If this is not your mechanism, well just put this information back for future reference
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the link to the manual. The photo on page 15 looks similar to mine, but the photos on pages 16 & 17 do not. I have nothing sticking through the frame as shown in the photos, nor was any handle provided that looks like the one in the photo.

When we did the walk-thru the tech said he thought it was an electric/hydraulic system, but I seriously doubt that because there are no hydraulic lines anywhere.

It's been working perfectly so I guess I shouldn't worry about it. Just curious about how it works.

The documentation provided by Starcraft about the trailer as a whole is pretty poor. The books provided states the my axles are manufactured by Lippert, when in fact they are Dexter's as stated by the decals on the axles.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:47 PM   #4

I'm sorry to hijack, but I have a similar concern. The slide has worked flawlessly, so far, but I'd like to know how to at least close it up manually, in the event of a problem.

The "documentation" provided with our 2016 Jayfeather 19XUD was much the same... a little bit of general information on several different options, with no way to tell which one is fitted. Jayco gave me the same "read the manual" response.

Does anyone happen to have any information, or am I going to have to take it to the dealer to find out?

Thanks all

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Route 66 Traveler,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
snip.......So does anyone have knowledge of how the slide works in the Autumn Ridge and where the motor is located? I also would like to know if there is a manual way to retract the slide......snip
As you are aware, the 266RKS has a through-the-frame style slide and the motor is accessed from underneath the TT. It sounds like there isn't an "outside' of the frame hex shaft for a socket attachment for manual operation (ref. page 8, fig 11), thus manual slide operation will take place at the motor (ref. page 9, fig 14). Refer to OEM link below.

Your motor location should be on the entry side of the TT...., and based on your slide location a little to the right of the entry door, and inline with the adjusting tube/can stop on the other side of the slide (ref. page 7, fig 9). Refer to OEM link below.

OEM slide installation reference: https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...CD_0001612.pdf

If you don't have an access panel...., either drop the underbelly panel in the area to confirm the motor location, or use a razor knife cutting a slit long enough to get a visual. Having a roll of black Gorilla tape on hand will take care of mending any unneeded razor cuts.

My Jay Flight 24RBS came with a panel and this is what it looks like with the panel in place and removed:

Hope this helps....

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:26 PM   #6

Yes, your photos have put me on the right track. I just went out and looked and there is a panel in the under belly that has 4 screws holding it onto the main structure. Tomorrow I’ll crawl under and see if I can remove it. That’s got to be where the slide motor is located. Thanks a bunch for the link and photo.

The tech (?) that did our PDI had no idea what mechanism was in the trailer, nor where the motor was.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Hope this helps....

Bob
Bob, thanks a million for the info. Mine looks just like your photo. Does your frame have a hole in it to access the hex head on the motor? Mine does not, and it's a tight fit between the axles to access the motor on mine. Just wondering if drilling a hole through the frame would weaken it?

Hopefully I'll never need to move the slide manually....knock on wood!
Old 04-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Route 66 Traveler,

No frame hole in mine, but I have enough room for a socket wrench.

IMO drilling a hole wouldn't be an issue, just keep it plugged when not in use (keeps the little critters out).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #9

Update....I did locate my access panel that is held on my 4 screws. Once removed I could see the motor. I used a 5/8" socket with my power drill and could easily move the slide. There is plenty of room so I won't have to drill a hole in the frame. I put an extra 5/8" socket in my tool kit, just in case.

Thanks to Rustic Eagle who pointed me in the right direction. This is a great forum!