Jayco RV Owners Forum
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ashland
Posts: 7
Water damage in front storage

I'm new to this forum and am hoping that someone out there can help me. I have a 2008 Starcraft Antigua 195CK and have owned it for the past 5 years. Overall, it's been pretty reliable, but I'm having an issue with identifying the source of a water leak that is rotting out the flooring in the front storage compartment that runs the width of the trailer. It's about 11 inches deep, and when I peeled up the vinyl flooring that was in there, I found the plywood completely soaked. I put in new gaskets around the front bunk, as well as both doors, and I cleaned and recaulked the seam that runs across the roof (where the rubber membrane meets the hard plastic on the front. Yet, water still seems to be getting into the storage compartment. Before I can even consider repairing the floor of the storage compartment, I have to get the leak fixed. Anyone out there experienced a similar problem? If so, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
__________________

jimtrvl917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,100
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Replace the storage door frame seal with a butyl seal and you are good. Better is replace all frame seals with butyl seals. Present manufacturing seals are prone to leaks.
__________________

__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,869
Welcome to the forum.
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescue Eydie (min Schnauzer) & Charley (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Nights Camped: 102 '15, 90 '16, 80 '17, 161 '18)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, Camper pkg, Equal-i-zer, GY Endurance (E)
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ashland
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Replace the storage door frame seal with a butyl seal and you are good. Better is replace all frame seals with butyl seals. Present manufacturing seals are prone to leaks.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looking online, I haven't come across any butyl gasket material that would appear to work. Do you have any specific recommendations as to a product/supplier/store?
jimtrvl917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
JJaxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central
Posts: 27
I repaired a very similar situation on my 2006. My slanted roof drains rain and the condensation from AC down the front around the bunk, usually the door side. This puts the constant water trickle into the bunk latch. Poor design. I did not expect that to be the source of water intrusion, but it was. When I put a wrench to the outside bolt heads they spun, and were rusted to the inside flush nut. I had to drill them out, replaced with stainless hardware, and Dicor sealant. The core was solid and my storage compartment has been dry all summer. I have my repair on video but not edited to post yet. On the road now so itll be awhile before I can get to it.

Check those latch bolts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtrvl917 View Post
I'm new to this forum and am hoping that someone out there can help me. I have a 2008 Starcraft Antigua 195CK and have owned it for the past 5 years. Overall, it's been pretty reliable, but I'm having an issue with identifying the source of a water leak that is rotting out the flooring in the front storage compartment that runs the width of the trailer. It's about 11 inches deep, and when I peeled up the vinyl flooring that was in there, I found the plywood completely soaked. I put in new gaskets around the front bunk, as well as both doors, and I cleaned and recaulked the seam that runs across the roof (where the rubber membrane meets the hard plastic on the front. Yet, water still seems to be getting into the storage compartment. Before I can even consider repairing the floor of the storage compartment, I have to get the leak fixed. Anyone out there experienced a similar problem? If so, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_123112.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	44181Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_123128.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	44182
__________________
John
2017 Ram 2500 CC Cummins TD
2006 Starcraft 25TB Toy Hauler
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ashland
Posts: 7
Smile

Well, it sounds like I have some work to do! This is great information. I'm going to go check out my trailer this morning and see if I am having the same issue. Were you able to find replacement hardware locally, or did you need to order it on-line? Thanks again!
jimtrvl917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,234
Also take a look at the seam molding just below the bunk door. Especially the edges where they "join" the corner seams. The ends may not have any caulking on them. Its drys out and comes off because it is a small area. As small as the opening may be enough water can get in and cause damage. Make sure those are caulked. I've had this happen on our old hybrid.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,100
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Go to a hardware store (gray flat in different sizes) or automotive store (black round in different sizes).

While you are doing the work extend your gutter drains.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ashland
Posts: 7
So, sure enough, I went out and checked the bolts as suggested. At least one of them just spins, so I am sure this is an issue. Once the monsoons end (the remnants of Hurricane Florence), I'll be drilling out the old bolts and replace them on both bunks. I'll also caulk anything that isn't moving! Is there a reason people suggest using Dicor sealant versus a standard silicone sealant for these sorts of repairs?
jimtrvl917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
JJaxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtrvl917 View Post
Well, it sounds like I have some work to do! This is great information. I'm going to go check out my trailer this morning and see if I am having the same issue. Were you able to find replacement hardware locally, or did you need to order it on-line? Thanks again!
I went to lowes and bought regular Stainless bolts for the outside, large fender washers and nylock nuts for the inside.
__________________

__________________
John
2017 Ram 2500 CC Cummins TD
2006 Starcraft 25TB Toy Hauler
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.