Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #1

Water damage in front storage

I'm new to this forum and am hoping that someone out there can help me. I have a 2008 Starcraft Antigua 195CK and have owned it for the past 5 years. Overall, it's been pretty reliable, but I'm having an issue with identifying the source of a water leak that is rotting out the flooring in the front storage compartment that runs the width of the trailer. It's about 11 inches deep, and when I peeled up the vinyl flooring that was in there, I found the plywood completely soaked. I put in new gaskets around the front bunk, as well as both doors, and I cleaned and recaulked the seam that runs across the roof (where the rubber membrane meets the hard plastic on the front. Yet, water still seems to be getting into the storage compartment. Before I can even consider repairing the floor of the storage compartment, I have to get the leak fixed. Anyone out there experienced a similar problem? If so, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
jimtrvl917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Replace the storage door frame seal with a butyl seal and you are good. Better is replace all frame seals with butyl seals. Present manufacturing seals are prone to leaks.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Replace the storage door frame seal with a butyl seal and you are good. Better is replace all frame seals with butyl seals. Present manufacturing seals are prone to leaks.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looking online, I haven't come across any butyl gasket material that would appear to work. Do you have any specific recommendations as to a product/supplier/store?
Old 09-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #5

I repaired a very similar situation on my 2006. My slanted roof drains rain and the condensation from AC down the front around the bunk, usually the door side. This puts the constant water trickle into the bunk latch. Poor design. I did not expect that to be the source of water intrusion, but it was. When I put a wrench to the outside bolt heads they spun, and were rusted to the inside flush nut. I had to drill them out, replaced with stainless hardware, and Dicor sealant. The core was solid and my storage compartment has been dry all summer. I have my repair on video but not edited to post yet. On the road now so itll be awhile before I can get to it.

Check those latch bolts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtrvl917 View Post
I'm new to this forum and am hoping that someone out there can help me. I have a 2008 Starcraft Antigua 195CK and have owned it for the past 5 years. Overall, it's been pretty reliable, but I'm having an issue with identifying the source of a water leak that is rotting out the flooring in the front storage compartment that runs the width of the trailer. It's about 11 inches deep, and when I peeled up the vinyl flooring that was in there, I found the plywood completely soaked. I put in new gaskets around the front bunk, as well as both doors, and I cleaned and recaulked the seam that runs across the roof (where the rubber membrane meets the hard plastic on the front. Yet, water still seems to be getting into the storage compartment. Before I can even consider repairing the floor of the storage compartment, I have to get the leak fixed. Anyone out there experienced a similar problem? If so, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_123112.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	44181Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_123128.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	44182
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

Smile

Well, it sounds like I have some work to do! This is great information. I'm going to go check out my trailer this morning and see if I am having the same issue. Were you able to find replacement hardware locally, or did you need to order it on-line? Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #7

Also take a look at the seam molding just below the bunk door. Especially the edges where they "join" the corner seams. The ends may not have any caulking on them. Its drys out and comes off because it is a small area. As small as the opening may be enough water can get in and cause damage. Make sure those are caulked. I've had this happen on our old hybrid.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Go to a hardware store (gray flat in different sizes) or automotive store (black round in different sizes).

While you are doing the work extend your gutter drains.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #9

So, sure enough, I went out and checked the bolts as suggested. At least one of them just spins, so I am sure this is an issue. Once the monsoons end (the remnants of Hurricane Florence), I'll be drilling out the old bolts and replace them on both bunks. I'll also caulk anything that isn't moving! Is there a reason people suggest using Dicor sealant versus a standard silicone sealant for these sorts of repairs?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Well, it sounds like I have some work to do! This is great information. I'm going to go check out my trailer this morning and see if I am having the same issue. Were you able to find replacement hardware locally, or did you need to order it on-line? Thanks again!
I went to lowes and bought regular Stainless bolts for the outside, large fender washers and nylock nuts for the inside.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #11

Quote:
So, sure enough, I went out and checked the bolts as suggested. At least one of them just spins, so I am sure this is an issue. Once the monsoons end (the remnants of Hurricane Florence), I'll be drilling out the old bolts and replace them on both bunks. I'll also caulk anything that isn't moving! Is there a reason people suggest using Dicor sealant versus a standard silicone sealant for these sorts of repairs?
Yes, silicone is less than perfect when it comes to seal and bond, which are the 2 things you need for it to be water tight. Many say it's ok to use it, but I've never had it seal and last so I don't use anything but Dicor, and Eternabond tape on my rig.

Replace all the bolts, even if they aren't spinning yet, they are likely exposed, and time will show the result. With the open hole put as much sealant into the cavity as possible, then install the bolts wet. Clean up after, but don't be using too little.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:01 AM   #12
Site Team

Here are some sources:
https://www.amazon.com/Butyl-Window-.../dp/B0070O93HA
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #13

So, I replaced the bolts for the bunk ends, I caulked all the holes before replacing them as well, I replaced the seals on all the storage doors, re-caulked the seam where the roof meets the front portion, and then I dried out the front storage area with a space heater for the better part of a week. It rained last night, and when I checked the storage area, it was damp again! So, before I torch this thing, is anyone aware of what else might be the source of the water seepage?
Old 03-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #14

I stay away from dicor sealant and any silicine based. The dicor doesnt seem sealed enough on the edges. Look into using duralink. It flexes better with the trailer.
vaskohop is offline   Reply With Quote