Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Thumbs up A New Generator Upgrade Anytime

I’m new here and noticed there is a lot of discussion about Generators.

There is only one thing people should think about on Generators. And the word is Costco. Their return policy allows you to take your generator back to them anytime even years later and upgrade it for free no questions asked. If you ruined it for some reason, take it back. If your tired of it, take it back. I have taken back maybe 4 different generators in the last couple years mainly because I kept seeing another one they had that I wanted instead later. In fact, the first generator that I took back was over 8 years old and had been sitting outside all busted up. I didn’t even need the receipt when I took it back. They just looked it up in my history and all they asked was if it had gas or not. They gave me cash back for everything I paid including tax. After that I just walked further into the store and bought another one they had in stock.
They have a better selection online and you can also take those back to any store any time. Who cares if their price is slightly higher than some other place. Being able to take it back anytime you want under their return policy is better than keeping money in the bank because your get more use of it.
See their selections here: https://www.costco.com/generators.html
Old 01-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info on Costco generator upgrades.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #3

Sounds like a great way to ABUSE a lenient return policy.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #4

It’s those actions that cause prices to go up for everyone else and for policies to change. I have taken items back to Costco but not because I abused it and needed it repacked for free.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasiki View Post
sounds like a great way to abuse a lenient return policy.
x2😔
Old 01-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #6

I have heard the same on batteries, they never even check them. We just hate to buy memberships! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
xxxcamper.jpg  
Old 01-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettt View Post
I have heard the same on batteries, they never even check them. We just hate to buy memberships! Thanks
Automotive batteries are one year and they do not check them if returning within that time frame.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #8

I wonder how some people sleep at night. I saw a picture of a woman returning a dead Christmas tree to Costco a couple of weeks into January a few years ago. Obviously there was something lost when morals were taught.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasiki View Post
Sounds like a great way to ABUSE a lenient return policy.
Gotta agree. There’s no free lunch. Companies will build the cost of abusive returns into their prices or tighten up the policy. Either way it affects those of us who aren’t looking to get something for nothing.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #10

I guess I should have explained this a little better?
I actually have firsthand knowledge on how this works on Costco’s side. No one should feel sorry for Costco or think it will affect prices or is wrong to do.
Costco makes money on the return also!
Here is how this works:
Almost every manufacture in the country wants their items in Costco.
If it is an item Costco wants to have in their stores, they tell the manufacture about their return policy and the average return rate.
On the return, Manufactures will give Costco a full refund and either a small extra percentage or full retail.
The manufacture will either take the product back or let Costco do what it wants with the item.
If Costco keeps the item, then they make even more money on the item through 3rd party sources.

It is an acceptable loss for the manufacture and everybody wins. Each manufacture goes into this with eyes fully open and full knowledge of what takes place. If the manufacture losses money they just pull out and focus on other places like Sam’s Club or somewhere else.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #11

Do you own a company that does business with Costco or other big box retailers? My company did in the past so I take exception to what you are qualifying as an “acceptable loss”. I have no problem with returning my products if they are in fact defective. You are not entitled to a lifetime of free upgrades from my company because you shop at Costco.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I guess I should have explained this a little better?
I actually have firsthand knowledge on how this works on Costco’s side. No one should feel sorry for Costco or think it will affect prices or is wrong to do.
Costco makes money on the return also!
Here is how this works:
Almost every manufacture in the country wants their items in Costco.
If it is an item Costco wants to have in their stores, they tell the manufacture about their return policy and the average return rate.
On the return, Manufactures will give Costco a full refund and either a small extra percentage or full retail.
The manufacture will either take the product back or let Costco do what it wants with the item.
If Costco keeps the item, then they make even more money on the item through 3rd party sources.

It is an acceptable loss for the manufacture and everybody wins. Each manufacture goes into this with eyes fully open and full knowledge of what takes place. If the manufacture losses money they just pull out and focus on other places like Sam’s Club or somewhere else.
The key word here is “loss,” acceptable or not. Loss means cost and the only one paying that cost is the consumer, one way or another. Just sayin’.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #13

One of our customers pays 20% more for our product than another large customer because we assume the loss of the product dies or is returned. Their margin is lower because of this. We also decided this year that it is not a sustainable business model for us in one region so we stopped selling in that area and took that business elsewhere. Acceptable loss is a lose/lose for all involved. Companies budget for the 'acceptable loss' as you call it and the consumer is the one who pays for it.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #14

Sorry, waste and fraud are NOT acceptable losses to any manufacturer or retail organization. Likewise, fraud and deception are not considered a base for being a good customer. Just my .02
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Old 01-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
i’m new here and noticed there is a lot of discussion about generators.

I have taken back maybe 4 different generators in the last couple years mainly because i kept seeing another one they had that i wanted instead later. In fact, the first generator that i took back was over 8 years old and had been sitting outside all busted up. I didn’t even need the receipt when i took it back.

lol
Old 01-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #16

Sounds like it's the same as free heath care.
Everybody gets it but nobody is paying for it.

If you really think that the manufacturer isn't charging for these returns by raising the price you're crazy. Costco may not be losing money and the manufacturer is definitely not losing money so that means the people buying the product are having to pay more for it than it should really be sold for and EVERYBODY ELSE is paying for it.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Old 01-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #17

More about this

I guess I will throw a little more light or fuel on the fire about this since so many people are commenting
There is a lot of talk about Fraud and the loss being passed onto the consumer. It doesn’t work that way! And….it is not deceptive, criminal, or morally wrong either when everyone (Supplier, Costco, & Buyer) knows what is going on and is ok with it?
Yes, I have owned a business. And yes, I did for almost 22 years do business with Costco. There is not one item placed in Costco where the supplier does not know going in with full knowledge the end buyer’s return average. The loss is acceptable because of the volume gained with a Costco placement. It is still very profitable. Also, the ability to have items in Costco gives more brand recognition and enhances your ability to get in with other “Big Box Retailers”. Very few other places have such a liberal return policy as Costco. Prices are not raised simply because of the returns and other buyers are not eating the loss. Most manufacture / suppliers already want to sell their items for the highest possible price to begin with. Some with a none competitive item will want to control the price point to some degree to try and gain more volume. Competitive items like generators are not going to raise their prices because of returns. They will be out priced from others manufactures.
People can spin this anyway they like but the truth is that Costco has an ingenious method of pulling in consumers from their competition at the expense of Manufactures / Suppliers. All the Manufacturers and Suppliers know this and accept it. Buyer loyalty is increased because of their return policy is far better than Sam’s Club and others.
For a $60 membership I think it is worth it.
If people still do not believe me just ask any Costco employee next time you’re in one of their stores?
Old 01-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
... In fact, the first generator that I took back was over 8 years old and had been sitting outside all busted up. I didn’t even need the receipt when I took it back.
Just one question: When you returned your gennie, did you tell them it had been sitting outside and thrashed, and you just wanted a newer model as you mentioned? If they were fine with the truth, I’m surprised.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #19

Yes I did. I believe my exact words was "It's getting old and beat up and time for another one" And of course they had to look at it since I was returning it. They had to get the make and model so they could search my purchase history. All they cared about was if it had gas in it or not. Since it still had gas they they had to take it back to the automotive area.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #20

I'm of two minds here.

One, if they're happy to do it, then it would be stupid not to swap out generators whenever you feel like it.

Two, it's like littering. It would be fine if I was the only one doing it, but when everyone takes that attitude, it doesn't work so well.
Closed Thread

Tags
best generators, free generator