Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2019, 06:29 AM   #1

AAA Plus RV

I have been a member of AAA (American Automobile Association) for 35 years. I have had their extended protection plan AAA Plus RV for a number of years. I have never ever had to use it, which is a good thing.

Its time to renew my membership now and the cost of this plan has increased substantially over the past few years. I have always had excellent service from AAA for my other personal vehicles and will probably stick with them.

Are any of you fine folks members of AAA Plus RV? I would like to specifically hear about your experiences if you are. I know about Good Sam Club and others, but I will likely stick with AAA unless you know something that I don’t. Thanks!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
I have been a member of AAA (American Automobile Association) for 35 years. I have had their extended protection plan AAA Plus RV for a number of years. I have never ever had to use it, which is a good thing.

Its time to renew my membership now and the cost of this plan has increased substantially over the past few years. I have always had excellent service from AAA for my other personal vehicles and will probably stick with them.

Are any of you fine folks members of AAA Plus RV? I would like to specifically hear about your experiences if you are. I know about Good Sam Club and others, but I will likely stick with AAA unless you know something that I don’t. Thanks!
Have it, and have used it. Had a flat on the TT last year, they came out and fixed it. Good service.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #3

We use to have it but it is way too expensive for what you get. Good Sam, Allstate offer the same level of service (only used it once) at a considerable cost savings. Typically in outlying areas, they all use the same service providers.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #4

Read all the benefits and compare plans. When all is said and done they all use the same tow companies to which are subject to demand. There are cheaper plans, but you need to know what you are getting. When you need help is not the time to find out you are not covered. It's the benefits that can make one better for you than another.

One thing I like about AAA RV Plus over plans is that I can get one tow per year up to 200 miles, and 3 additional up to 100 miles to the destination of my choice. Not to the nearest repair center, but to my house if that's where I want to be towed. And I did have to use it once when we moved my daughter out of town. We were 180 miles away. I got a tow to my house. With most other clubs they will only tow you to the nearest repair facility.

One thing I do not like about AAA is the national AAA 800 # is not the same club as the club in your state to which you belong. They are affiliated but not the same. The national club call center often does not know the specific coverage for each state. Worse, they will bad mouth each other to the customers.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #5

I have it, never personally used it but my daughter has several times, that makes it worth it right there! For the price and service I will definitely keep it!
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #6

We have used AAA for over 50 years. When we purchased at Travel Trailer we purchased the AAA RV service. My priority is in the quality of service. In all my years I've never had one negative experience. Price only matters to those that have unlimited time, unlimited patience, and limited resources. The cost difference between programs may be a few hundred dollars. When I am out on the road, my safety and convenience is worth any difference in cost. Though I do understand why others may make a choice that fits their situation.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #7

I would just say....be sure to read the fine print. Benefits such as towing distance, services, etc. can vary widely between AAA, Good Sam, auto insurance roadside assist, etc. I researched quite a bit a few years ago, as I was in the same position as you are currently, and I stuck with AAA Plus+RV.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:51 AM   #8

I have it and I am getting ready to renew mines, only cost $140 dollars for the year, I did had to use it a couple of years ago when I had a flat, great service.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:04 AM   #9

Got rid of mine and went with FMCA. AAA kept raising the prices and the DW cost extra. Had them for over 20 years and used them about 3 times before the dump. Benefits were not worth almost 400 a year. Yes, almost 400 a year after 20 years. Now that my membership has expired and I would be considered new from day 1 I might go back at the cheaper rate. Not sure but might.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:06 AM   #10

We were members of AAA for many years until we had to use them. They refused to send someone out because we were on I-10 In NM and they said it was too dangerous. They refused to title my fiver in AZ when I bought it in OH and they didn't like the OH title. Went to DMV and they transferred with no problem but the wait.So I cancelled my membership and went to Good Sam. Have had a couple of China bomb blowouts and they sent somebody out to help. Although know your tire size before you call
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
We were members of AAA for many years until we had to use them. They refused to send someone out because we were on I-10 In NM and they said it was too dangerous. They refused to title my fiver in AZ when I bought it in OH and they didn't like the OH title. Went to DMV and they transferred with no problem but the wait.So I cancelled my membership and went to Good Sam. Have had a couple of China bomb blowouts and they sent somebody out to help. Although know your tire size before you call
Huh? The first thing they ask is if you are in a safe place. If not they put a higher priority on the call. AAA does not have their own tow trucks. They contract out. Towing companies are professionals. They can and will deal with dangerous situations. If you were in a bad spot, most likely a LEO would have also been there to help you out. Did you write a letter after the fact to complain and ask for reimbursement?
Old 02-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #12

We're members with the RV coverage and last October I had a breakdown just south of Walsenburg, Co while towing. Glad I had it or I would have had to pay who knows how much or leave the trailer on the highway with all my belongings in it. I've used it probably 5 times for towing and tons for hotel & general shopping discounts as well.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Huh? The first thing they ask is if you are in a safe place. If not they put a higher priority on the call. AAA does not have their own tow trucks. They contract out. Towing companies are professionals. They can and will deal with dangerous situations. If you were in a bad spot, most likely a LEO would have also been there to help you out. Did you write a letter after the fact to complain and ask for reimbursement?
Yes. They sent me three $20 certificates to be used for my next subscription. You know what they could do with them. I don't know where you got your information, but they left me stranded and refused to pay for the tire change or the tow. That's why I left them. They couldn't care about you and your problems. Only to collect the money.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
I don't know where you got your information, but they left me stranded and refused to pay for the tire change or the tow.
Personal experience.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #15
CAG

Quote:
They can and will deal with dangerous situations
Over the years that I owned the toy hauler (10) I had occasion to call Good Sam three times. The first was on I-10 about 10 miles out of Benson. The tow company showed up and changed the tire I was on my way.

The second was on I-17 going up the grade to Sunset Point north of Phoenix. The tire company showed up and changed the tire and I went on my way.

The third time I was almost home but pulling off of I-17. I crossed over to the other side of the cross street onto the down ramp. The tire company showed up and changed the tire but said that it was a good thing I was on the ramp because if I had been on I-17 they could not change the tire. Too dangerous.

The only difference in the three was the last tire was on the traffic side and that may have been the reason. I did not think to ask.

And as a side note all three were different brand tires. The first were TowMax and would have been removed earlier had I known the horror stories about that brand.
The two following sets were good name brand tires but at or just over the three year max that Discount Tire recommends for changing RV trailer tires in Arizona. The second blow out came about 10 minutes after I told my wife that we were over the three years and needed to get new tires on after this short trip.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #16

I had it on my AK trip.... experience
needed tow of about 5 miles to the dealer with my trailer on.

I had towing still from GM so i called them and they sent a wrecker out.. then i called AAA and they wouldn't tow my trailer without towing my truck too.. so after a go around i just payed the tow truck driver $40 and he tugged my trailer to the campground across the street from the dealer...
AAA wanted me to call them back and start from scratch, it wasn't worth my time to start over and send the guy there away... on a good note though apparently the campgrounds don't want you coming in without a truck to tow away your trailer and the truck driver convinced them that I wasn't going to do that ... so it was worth the $40 bucks...

AAA - was a double insurance policy... I don't believe I would use it again as my insurance company would have towed me as well... but with being a long way from home at least I knew I would get towed somewhere out of the way.
I wouldn't buy it if I was in the lower 48... YMMV
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote