Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2022, 01:17 PM   #1

"Bad Sam Club"

My brother and his wife (age mid 70’s) were towing their TT this past weekend and had a tire blowout on the NYS Thruway near Rochester. They are members of Good Sam Club and had purchased the Platinum Complete Roadside Assistance Package, about $120.00 annually.

They called GSC for roadside assistance. After two hours being stranded on the Thruway, they called again but got a voice mail message. They left voice mail messages and text messages as well. Needless to say, no return phone call, no return text message and no-show for roadside assistance. Finally they called a towing service to come to change the tire.

The towing company charged them $380.00 for the service.

I have AAA+RV coverage and thankfully I’ve never had to use it. After hearing my brother's ordeal (plus others on this forum), I tend to believe that purchasing RV roadside assistance is a waste of money.

What is your experience with roadside assistance policies? Please opine your thoughts.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
My brother and his wife (age mid 70’s) were towing their TT this past weekend and had a tire blowout on the NYS Thruway near Rochester. They are members of Good Sam Club and had purchased the Platinum Complete Roadside Assistance Package, about $120.00 annually.

They called GSC for roadside assistance. After two hours being stranded on the Thruway, they called again but got a voice mail message. They left voice mail messages and text messages as well. Needless to say, no return phone call, no return text message and no-show for roadside assistance. Finally they called a towing service to come to change the tire.

The towing company charged them $380.00 for the service.

I have AAA+RV coverage and thankfully I’ve never had to use it. After hearing my brother's ordeal (plus others on this forum), I tend to believe that purchasing RV roadside assistance is a waste of money.

What is your experience with roadside assistance policies? Please opine your thoughts.
AAA+ RV couldn't provide service for a tire change 13 miles outside of Indianapolis.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:51 PM   #3

That is a bummer, but have heard of it many times on the forum, in regards to a number of major companies.

We have roadside assistance through our automotive insurance company. Its like $10 year. We can call them and they can arrange service. Or I can call whoever I want. And submit the bill.

I have only used them once to tow our old car when it went it rusted to death. No issues.

Parents when they were still camping have the same insurance. They lost the ignition on their Suburban, on the way home from a campout. They contacted a tow company. they loaded the Sub on the flatbed, hooked the TT to the under reach. Towed them just under 100 miles home, dropped off the TT in the yard, then dropped off the Sub at the shop. Parents submitted the tow bill, and received a check from the insurance co within a few weeks.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #4

Don't ask AAA-RV to bring diesel, gas yes!!!
Although they will tow!!
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:15 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
Don't ask AAA-RV to bring diesel, gas yes!!!
Although they will tow!!
PaulB12
Ever tried to start a diesel engine after it's run out of fuel? That could be why they won't bring diesel fuel.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Ever tried to start a diesel engine after it's run out of fuel? That could be why they won't bring diesel fuel.
I have. Better have a couple of really good batteries.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #7

AAA+RV may not be available in all states. Each state has it's own rules and web sites. They're all AAA but each state is independent so make sure the states you're driving through support AAA+RV. We've had AAA for years but use Good Sam for for the RV.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:07 PM   #8

I have emergency road service on my RV insurance with Progressive. In September of last year I had a blowout on my 5th wheel and just called the nearest road service. They were there in 30 minutes. I paid the bill which was $198.00 and then submitted the bill to Progressive and they reimbursed me immediately no questions asked. I don't need any of those phony roadside assistant programs when I have Progressive. I Don't leave home without them
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:08 PM   #9

We have had AAA for 35+ years. Before they had AAA +RV, we had AAA Premium. On the freeway in Kentucky, the F450 shut down while towing previous 5vr. AAA was contacted and they towed the F450 & 5vr to a local hotel as it was late in the evening and businesses were closed. The next morning we contacted AAA, explained the issue. They sent out a big rig tow truck and he towed us 90 miles to the dealership - as one unit.

Basically, we have not had any issue with AAA no matter what state we have been in.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:27 AM   #10

We have AAA+RV and the came to help us within a reasonable time when we lost 2 trailer tires on I-55 in the middle of nowhere central Illinois in 2018. I've used it a few times with my cars within town without problems too.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:47 AM   #11

The trouble with any RA service is that they contract with only so many towing companies. So if the company they have the contract with is slammed or shorthanded in the area you break down, you wait. If you call that company directly you get better service because you're paying more than AAA or Coachnet or whomever they have the contract with.

What you are paying for is the "one call" to get help, and the additional benefits that go with RA. Over the years we've only needed tows a couple of times, but never while towing. AAA has saved us a lot of money so it's worth paying for.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:17 AM   #12

those services are a waste of money in my opinion....especially for the hassle when needed. Save your money and pay someone if needed when needed.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:57 AM   #13

I had similar problem last year twice. I was told that the contractors who make deals with any road side assistance company had the right to refuse to go out.

What I also discovered is you can send Good Sam your bill from the tow company and they will reimburse you.

Just my experience your may vary.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:17 PM   #14

To the op, I would take the bill, make a copy of it and send it to Good Sam along with your story. Tell them in light of the fact that you had membership with them that was supposed to cover this, and that they dropped the ball , you expect them to reimburse you for not providing the coverage you already had with them. You might let them know that the internet is a great place to vent your feelings.
Randy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:39 PM   #15

We were traveling on I-469 around Fort Wayne In. and TPMS went off for trailer tire. got off at an exit and checked tire and it had a broken belt. Called AAA and had someone there in about an hour. He put on the spare and we went to Discount Tire in Fort Wayne and bought four tires. That's the RV lifestyle.
Chuckles57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:40 PM   #16

AAA Premier RV

My husband and I have the AAA Premier RV. It has paid for itself several times over. We live in WA State and in 2020, we were in Florida, traveling on the turnpike in our F350 towing our Northpoint 43 ft 5th wheel when we stopped to pay a toll at a toll booth. My husband turned the engine off so we could hear the attendant and when he tried to re start the engine, it wouldn't. To make a long story short, we we towed out of the way to the side of the road and I called AAA for assistance. We had to wait a few hours, but they send 2 tow trucks out to us, one to transport our F350 to a repair shop 1 hour away and another one for the fifth wheel to be towed to a camp site in the opposite direction from the truck. They were so professional and at one point the AAA person was consoling me over the phone. We didn't pay a dime for either tow and they were our heroes that day!! They may be a little more expensive than other services but that one tow paid for about 5 years membership easily. They've earned my respect and membership and every year when I pay my fee, I think about that one incident.
jlhill1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #17

A friend of mine owns a tire company, he will not contract with AAA or any other company. He says the rates they want him to accept are way below market value. He also says that many times, the insurance company will call him and when he refuses, they will eventually call him back and agree to his standard charges.
Peoples16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:16 PM   #18

We had the exact same experience with GSRA in Nevada. Highway Patrol came by called a tire guy and we were on the road in 15 minutes. I contacted Marcus on this forum and was immediately sent a check for the $300 we spent plus GS gave us another year free. GSRA is not worth the money. Betsy.
Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:56 PM   #19

AAA+RV has been OK for us.
TV and TT totaled by hail - they gave us great price for TT, really lowballed us on TV.
I-90 broken spring call - service in less than half hour, towed by Borntrager's, Tremont, MN, who replaced all springs with heavier duty for very reasonable price. On road in less than 5 hours.
Will stick with AAA for now.
Will always hope to find another Borntrager if another breakdown occurs. They were amazing!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:31 PM   #20

Have had GSRA for many years. Used them a few times for family vehicle tow here on Long Island and for my kids in college upstate, NY (way back, when) with good results. Two years ago, one of our trailer's tires went flat, on its pad in my yard, from a rotted valve stem. I couldn't jack it up enough to free the wheel (don't ask!). Called GSRA, explained my dilemma, they sent a guy who jacked it up with a pneumatic jack and we changed the tire. Took the tire for a new valve. Three weeks later, surprise, the tire on the other side went flat. Called GSRA and we repeated the dance. SO... very old tires (10 yrs.) & valves sitting in my yard, but GSRA came to my rescue and I was able to dismount the tires and take 'em for replacement.
Would they be able to help everyone in that situation? I don't know. We're in a heavily populated, suburban area and they found the outfit I needed and came to my rescue. They seemed to make every effort to try and it worked out. Just sayin'...
Cookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote