Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #1

Carlisle Trail RH 180/85R13 Load Range D Review

I upgraded my Tow Max 180/85R13 load range C tires for my X23B to Carlisle Trail RH 180/85R13 Load Range D. This is a new tire by Carlisle. I have not been able to find any information online yet for these tires.

I spent a fair amount of time over the winter looking at options for new tires. I found for 13” tires there are very few options. In radials I could only find load range C. If I switched to Bias tires I could procure load range D tires. As spring approached as I was contacting tire companies, getting pricing, it was brought to my attention that a new tire had just come on the market, only two months earlier. These are the Carlisle Trail RH tires. I investigated Maxis and Marathons, along with many other tires. I could only get them as Load Range C tires.

I replaced all the tires including the spare. I paid to have the tires balanced. 2 tires needed no weights at all. 1 tire needed a ½ ounce. 2 tires (including the spare) needed a ¼ ounce, neither of these tires had weights added as the tire company had weights that fit the rims.

We went up north over the weekend (200 miles round trip). On the way up I accidently towed with a full FW tank. I never noticed it. If I had been towing with my old tires, the tires most likely would have been over loaded. On the way home we had dry tanks. I never noticed a difference between the trips.

With our old Towmax tires, the HTT towed very nicely. I could tell if a Greyhound bus was passing me or if a semi-truck with a large flat frontal area was passing. I would get a little wiggle as they approached. I did not get passed much over the weekend. However, I never noticed any wiggle at all.

So far I am very happy with these new tires.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Thanks for the report. It's great that a tire manufacturer is stepping up with some new tire choices for campers, especially in the 13" size.

Keep us posted on your experiences.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #3

Too funny. I was looking for tires for my x23b and wanted something better then what was on the trailer which are Goodyear marathons( which so far I have had good luck). However I also wanted something a little beefier. Talking to tire dealer they mention the Carlisle and how they just came out with the radial 8ply load range D and 81mph speed rating. This tire store claims they were made just for them... I got quoted $91 dollars a tire not sure if it is a good price or not. Thinking of trying them out.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
Too funny. I was looking for tires for my x23b and wanted something better then what was on the trailer which are Goodyear marathons( which so far I have had good luck). However I also wanted something a little beefier. Talking to tire dealer they mention the Carlisle and how they just came out with the radial 8ply load range D and 81mph speed rating. This tire store claims they were made just for them... I got quoted $91 dollars a tire not sure if it is a good price or not. Thinking of trying them out.
That's about the price I paid for 5 tires. After tax and balancing and other fees it was about $530.

Trailer has been sitting due to work and scouting, so no additional miles.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
That's about the price I paid for 5 tires. After tax and balancing and other fees it was about $530.

Trailer has been sitting due to work and scouting, so no additional miles.

Thanks for the reviews, been shopping and really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Origjcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
13 inch, 13", carlisle, tires