Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Dish networks tailgater and problems with Dish Networks

Here's the deal, I bought a tailgater and receiver box in late Dec. 2015.
At that time I bought a $149.00 programing package , this plan has no contract and is a pay by the month plan, you pay in advance for programing. Overall, the dish and box works fine, HD is great. I paid in January another $149 to continue the programing package ( we were on the road traveling ). The wife and I were home in March so didn't pay the bill that comes in the mail 10 days before the programing ends, in this case 2/27/16. The programing ends 2/27 as planned.

We went to Ok. to visit Geronimo's grave at Ft. Sill and see the artillery and history of Ft. Sill Museums. we stayed at a rv park with poor cable and no ota reception so, over chat to dish networks I wanted to turn the programing back on.

The dish networks representative told me I had to settle the unpaid balance of $149.00 before they could help me further. I informed her I paid by the month in advance in my RV as needed when traveling and there was no way I could have a unpaid balance since I paid in advance. It took 2 more phone calls and a total of around 2 hours to get them to drop the $149.00 bill for nothing.

I was informed I should let them know 15 days before the service ends to prevent the billing problem and also at the same time tell them in advance when I would like to turn it back on. Not what I thought it would be like.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
Site Team

I have had a Tailgater for 4 years now and have had no issues with putting the service on hold. I usually call the day after the bill is paid to have it turned off before the next billing date.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #3

Now you know why DISH lost thousands of customers.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #4

I have Dish at home and simply pay for an extra receiver for the TT at a cost of $8 I think. In fact I added a 2nd extra receiver for the bedroom TV [Happy Wife]. I could shut off one or both of the receivers but use one of them on my houseboat in the summer. So I have one activated in the TT out back and another on the boat all for a few extra $$ on my monthly bill. What I spend on the extra receivers is in the ball park for what the OP spends on a single month of the no contract plan.

I also recently acquired a Pathway 2X auto dish and love it. Can be set to receive signals from both Eastern and Western sats and will support 2 receivers. Sets up in minutes.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I was informed I should let them know 15 days before the service ends to prevent the billing problem and also at the same time tell them in advance when I would like to turn it back on. Not what I thought it would be like.
I learned this the hard way as well when we first got our tailgater. They do a lousy job of explaining what you're supposed to do. Anyway, once I figured it out, all was well. One piece of advice - don't let them talk you into "pausing" your service when you aren't using it. They'll charge you $5 a month for the pause. Make sure you tell them you want to cancel. The only risk here is that you may have to pay a different rate if their pricing changes.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #6

I have a dish receiver in the basement gathering dust.. got it my first year snowbirding.. it is a pay as you go type.. the second winter I went South I tried to turn it back on and was told that receiver is no longer used and I have to buy a new one..BS..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I have a dish receiver in the basement gathering dust.. got it my first year snowbirding.. it is a pay as you go type.. the second winter I went South I tried to turn it back on and was told that receiver is no longer used and I have to buy a new one..BS..
The mobile receiver now is the VIP211Z and you can pick one up for $75 or less. They can be turned into a DVR that works just like the DVRs on the bigger house receivers and you don't pay a separate DVR fee. The 211Z will work with the tailgater and other Dish mobile antanee. I think it is the receiver that comes with the month to month plan. Receivers are kind of like cell phones, new ones replace old ones on a regular basis. I have a half dozen SD receivers that I need to take to the dumpster one of these days. Even have a spare 211Z that came with my Pathway 2x. Got it from the Amazon warehouse and it came with the receiver. Amazon did not list it as the "package" and priced it as the Pathway only. O well, receivers die from time to time and I'll just pull out the extra one. Bet you can fine one for $50 or less on Ebay.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #8

VIP211z dvr

VIP211Z one time fee for DVR $40.00, you have to supply a laptop drive with a USB connection. You can only record what you're watching or when the set is off.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
VIP211Z one time fee for DVR $40.00, you have to supply a laptop drive with a USB connection. You can only record what you're watching or when the set is off.
You are correct but the $40 fee is one time for your account and 2nd etc receivers are not charged. The portable harddrive [about the size of a small smart phone] cost $50 or less. Last one I bought was a net $35 after manuf rebate. Not sure why you would record the show that you are watching, but yes it only records one channel at a time. It is fully programmable just like any
DVR so you can set it to record shows while you sleep or are away from the rv.
The 211z w/dvr works pretty much the same as other Dish DVRs and is controlled via the same remote. Bottom line is with Dish you have access to HD programming and DVR recording using a regular tripod set up or one of their mobile ant. like a tailgater or Pathway.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #10

We have the same problem with the bills. Try adding the fact we also take the tailgator to Tawas and to our cabin In the U.P. We spend the whole day getting the service to work after going from one to the other...Now we just leave it at the cabin. We also will get over due bills. I never call to tell them when I am ending service as I never know when that will be...they made a huge mistake when they got rid of their rv dept that handled the calls for the tailgator...Seems no one knows about the pay as you go plan...So frustrating!

2012 Jayco 29rlds

Bailey our yellow lab
Seasonal siter in Tawas Mi
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #11

update on dish service

I'm not sure what Dish did, but they have been the greatest to deal with lately...I think they retrained their staff...After leaving the tailgator up north because of how long it took to get the right service, we decided we wanted the dish back at our seasonal site in Tawas...One 2 minute phone call was all it took...they even knew we had an rv account...amazing what a difference!

2012 Jayco 29rlds

Bailey our yellow lab
Seasonal siter in Tawas Mi
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote