Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I thought I read a law was passed, not sure when it was going in effect, but making everyone with a drone to get a license. It also included very strict usage restrictions. Anyone know if that was correct?

I can see the good side of drones, but, I can also see a huge potential for bad with drones. Personally I have no desire for one.
Only need a license in the US is if you are selling videos. Most drones must have a FAA registration.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #22

Do I Need a License to Fly a Drone? [Read Before You Fly]

Interesting information about drones. How and where you can fly it, when you need a license and other interesting information. Obviously a very fluid area of the law.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
So, anyways ..... before this totally got out of hand, i bought this DJI Spark. It's a really fun, easy Drone to fly..... with onboard GPS, it is virtually impossible to crash ..... so, if you are like me, who remembers years ago going to the flying field and watching my Dad fly his radio controlled airplane, and have always had an interest in them, this is just the modern version.... with a camera! My dad would have given anything to have had a camera mounted to his airplane back than, because he loved photography and the great outdoors. As for the privacy issues with Drones, i agree with all is said here, but i'll tell you one thing, i'd be more worried about someone taking a photo of you with their cell phone than someone with a Drone .....
Old 02-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Box Canyon is a misnomer for that interesting little canyon. That is a fascinating drive. Please share your aerial pictures. Having seen it at ground level, I would love to see it from above.
No, it's not actually a box canyon but I refer to it as that from the road name.

Here's a couple of pics, taken in a bit from the west end. Salton Sea in the one pic.

You can hear a drone long before it gets close enough to get any kind of picture of you. I'm not getting into the whole privacy issue of photography.
Attached Thumbnails
DJI_0006 (2)-rfw.jpg   DJI_0002 (2)-rfw.jpg  
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #25

.... and those 2 pics are exactly why i have my Drones , those are great photos.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
No, it's not actually a box canyon but I refer to it as that from the road name.

Here's a couple of pics, taken in a bit from the west end. Salton Sea in the one pic.

You can hear a drone long before it gets close enough to get any kind of picture of you. I'm not getting into the whole privacy issue of photography.
Thanks for sharing. Photos like that of places I'm familiar with from ground level are more and more compelling me to pony up for a drone and learn how to fly it.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Photos like that of places I'm familiar with from ground level are more and more compelling me to pony up for a drone and learn how to fly it.
..... I know exactly what you mean, i have tons and tons of pictures/videos of our favorite Provincial Parks, but last fall when i took my larger drone with us, i was able to take photos of areas you could never get at, and photos of areas we go to often, but at a totally different view. I was hoping last fall when i had it up above the small river that runs through the park, that one of the few Eagles that live in the park would have flown by ..... what a shot that would have been!

As for learning how to fly, the DJI Spark is one of the easiest things to fly.... anyone can fly it, and expand their photo taking experiences!
Attached Thumbnails
DJI_0084.jpg  
Old 02-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #28

Quote:
My Phantom 4Pro is so easy to fly. One touch takes it to 3' off the ground and it'll just sit there and hover. I usually don't fly it in high winds. When I was in the canyon it was gone around the corner and out of sight about 400m from my location. Once it's more than 50' away I switch to using the iPad to fly it. If the landing area is too dusty I grab it out of the air when returning.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #29

Have had a couple of months to play with this Spark, indoors and some outdoor flying when Mother Nature gave us some warmth ..... This has to be the easiest Drone to fly, bar none. Much easier than my Phantom 3 Standard. I have taken some great photos of the RV, even just sitting in the driveway. Looking forward to getting some good shots at the campground of friends, family, the RV and nature! One disappointment, the price of the Spark has dropped ..... oh well, sucks to be me, but a bonus for anyone thinking of buying one ..... u'll love it, i guarantee it!
Old 03-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #30

I’ve been looking for a more compact drone in addition to my P4. I’m thinking mavic pro for some great offshore tuna fishing videos this season. Of course I’ll be mounting a float system! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 02:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I’ve been looking for a more compact drone in addition to my P4. I’m thinking mavic pro for some great offshore tuna fishing videos this season. Of course I’ll be mounting a float system! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My younger brother just bought the New Mavic Air, always has to be one step on me. Very nice, the thing is like a rocket in Sport mode. I'll keep my Spark, at less than 1/2 the price of the Air, it's a far better deal, and to me, a great little drone to hover around the campsite taking photos/videos .....The Phantom will do the high stuff.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #32

I bought a spark earlier this week - it's supposed to show up tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting some shots of the places we ride quads during the summer - one in particular a nice waterfall.

Years ago, I bought a collective pitch RC Helicopter with the intention of mounting a sd card based camera on it for cool footage from the air - it would turn out that after crashing it, drone progress outpaced my desire to learn to fly that darn thing. lol
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
I bought a spark earlier this week - it's supposed to show up tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting some shots of the places we ride quads during the summer - one in particular a nice waterfall.

Years ago, I bought a collective pitch RC Helicopter with the intention of mounting a sd card based camera on it for cool footage from the air - it would turn out that after crashing it, drone progress outpaced my desire to learn to fly that darn thing. lol
Years ago I had a Hirobo Shuttle gas chopper. Never got more than 6ft off the ground with it before I'd lose control. With my drone I can let go of the sticks and go for a beer and it'll be right where I left it when I come back