Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2018, 05:22 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
DJI Spark (Drone)

There are a few earlier threads regarding drones. Most people don't care for them, and it's understandable. I have a DJI Phantom 3 Standard. Took it with us camping in the fall, when the park was fairly empty, and took it to the beach and the river and took some great photos. Thats what i have it for, not to spy on anyone. The Phantom is really a mid-sized Drone. DJI came out with their new Spark last summer, so right after Christmas, they went on sale, i did a whole lot of reading up on them, and bought one. It's tiny, about the size of a large cell phone, or a small 7" tablet. The difference between my 2 drones is one, the size, secondly the Spark can fly indoors. They both work off GPS, but the Spark has some internal system that lets it fly indoors. This is an incredibly stable Drone .... probably the easiest thing you can fly. If you have a cheaper drone, don't think thats how drones fly. The spark can be flown 3 ways, by hand gesture alone, by a cell phone, or by the optional controller. I went with the controller, 10 times better. What sets this one apart from all others is the size. It's not an intimidating drone, heck, it looks more like a $50 toy. The only difference is, it has a teriffic camera, stable, and it will come back to you when it gets in trouble ( low battery etc). Why do a Drone product review on our RV site, well, i for one believe there is a place for them and camping. They take incredible aerial photos, photos we were never able to take before, and i'm sure there are many many place we camp in the US and Canada with breathtaking landscapes .... just a simple rule, be respectful of others and respect their privacy. Check out all the youtube videos if you are considering a drone, this is a fantastic starter thats more than a starter Drone
Old 01-31-2018, 07:28 AM   #2

Don’t look at DJI.com if you just bought a spark. I bought a Mavic Pro in November after I crash my Phantom 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:36 AM   #3

Newer Mavic just came out last week Mavic Air
Old 01-31-2018, 05:33 PM   #4

DJI said was not a good idea to fly Spark or Mavic Air in campgrounds with WiFi repeaters. Was going to get one for DW, now I have to get her a Mavic Pro so she stops running my batteries down.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
Don’t look at DJI.com if you just bought a spark. I bought a Mavic Pro in November after I crash my Phantom 4.

I saw the introduction of the new Mavic Air. Very nice, but does not make me wish i had not purchased the Spark. Do note the $400 difference. Yes, it would be nice to have the 4k camera, but the 1080P on the Spark does a very nice job. Like the Jayflight is for the RV industry, the Spark is for the Drone industry ..... the best bang for the buck!
Old 02-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #6

Speaking of drones, last Camping season, the DW noted a low flying drone in the distance hovering towards her while in the outside shower. Sure enough the bas*ard stopped right above her. She had covered up by the time it got near her. She flipped it the bird at which point it flew away. I personally don’t think they should be allowed to fly over campgrounds by campers or anyone else. I take mine to the beach while at our seasonal site and fly the shoreline. I don’t fly over houses or buildings.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Speaking of drones, last Camping season, the DW noted a low flying drone in the distance hovering towards her while in the outside shower. Sure enough the bas*ard stopped right above her. She had covered up by the time it got near her. She flipped it the bird at which point it flew away. I personally don’t think they should be allowed to fly over campgrounds by campers or anyone else. I take mine to the beach while at our seasonal site and fly the shoreline. I don’t fly over houses or buildings.

Same with me ..... i respect others privacy. If used properly, and with respect to others, they can be a great way of passing time away, and getting some incredible photos!
Old 02-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
Same with me ..... i respect others privacy. If used properly, and with respect to others, they can be a great way of passing time away, and getting some incredible photos!
I get the great photo thing, but unless you are really into taking photos, I think I would get bored with the thing pretty quick and then I would start finding other things to do with the drone. Sneaking up on wildlife, annoying people by flying by their motion sensor devices setting off alarms / lights etc. An aireal view can be helpful for a lot of reasons but after filling my 4th memory card with photo's I think I would loose interest.

I don't have anything against drones but there are probably 2 problem drone owners for every one responsible owners. I don't want my neighbor, Amazon, or the local pizza delivery hovering over my property without my permission.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #9

DJI Spark (Drone)

Why the hate for drone? Is it the camera? If I was on the top of my Camper with telephoto camera pointed in your direction would you be as offended? Google maps have satellite images of your house and street view. I don’t fly to spy but if you’re out in the open, I will see. I used to have a point and shoot camera that have 30x zoom attached to a custom made drone. I don’t have to be on top of your backyard to see into it.

Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
Old 02-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Why the hate for drone? Is it the camera? If I was on the top of my Camper with telephoto camera pointed in your direction would you be as offended? Google maps have satellite images of your house and street view. I don’t fly to spy but if you’re out in the open, I will see. I used to have a point and shoot camera that have 30x zoom attached to a custom made drone. I don’t have to be on top of your backyard to see into it.

Nice attitude (not). Whether it is intentional or not, it's still an invasion of privacy. And if you were on top of the roof of your camper with a telephoto lens pointed my way, you would be talking with the police and my lawyer. I don't have any problems with drones (I'm considering getting one for various reasons including inspecting the roof of my mobile home; I'm just too old and decrepit to be crawling around up there anymore) but I do have problems with people with attitudes toward the privacy of others like yours.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #11

We have different definition of invasion of privacy. In my picture, above my drone was attack because the person in the boat thought I was invading their privacy. They were out in the open for everyone to see. Me looking at them through the camera on my drone didn’t give them the right to attack my property.

Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
Old 02-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #12

I have a 4Pro and use it for aerial photos of areas when we are boondocking. Few days ago I was flying it through Box Canyon east of Mecca, CA. I flew it in Joshua Tree as well to get some aerials of the trees and rock formations. Can get some great pictures. I have no interest in taking pictures of other people with it.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
We have different definition of invasion of privacy. In my picture, above my drone was attack because the person in the boat thought I was invading their privacy. They were out in the open for everyone to see. Me looking at them through the camera on my drone didn’t give them the right to attack my property.

I don't get it but I understand it... the issue is if you take those pictures and post them up to the web then you have removed their privacy... I am surprised Google hasn't been sued... if you put up someone and you see their face they own their face and you shouldn't be able to use it for anything... you have no right to publish that.. along with plates etc... this whole public and we can do whatever we want because it is public property is BS... I certainly hope someone doesn't take a pic of you or your kids and put it on say a less than reputable site.. think about the pervs out there... would you be okay with yourself being on the personals of CL? I know I wouldn't... nor my kids...

You don't want them stealing your property but you are okay with stealing their privacy...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I don't get it but I understand it... the issue is if you take those pictures and post them up to the web then you have removed their privacy... I am surprised Google hasn't been sued... if you put up someone and you see their face they own their face and you shouldn't be able to use it for anything... you have no right to publish that.. along with plates etc... this whole public and we can do whatever we want because it is public property is BS... I certainly hope someone doesn't take a pic of you or your kids and put it on say a less than reputable site.. think about the pervs out there... would you be okay with yourself being on the personals of CL? I know I wouldn't... nor my kids...

You don't want them stealing your property but you are okay with stealing their privacy...
So you’re say when I take pictures of my kids or camper at the campground and you’re in the background, that I need to blurred out your face? I have pictures of my kids on internet and anyone can steal those images but stealing is a crime. When I take pictures of your face, I am not stealing your face.

Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
Old 02-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I have a 4Pro and use it for aerial photos of areas when we are boondocking. Few days ago I was flying it through Box Canyon east of Mecca, CA. I flew it in Joshua Tree as well to get some aerials of the trees and rock formations. Can get some great pictures. I have no interest in taking pictures of other people with it.
Box Canyon is a misnomer for that interesting little canyon. That is a fascinating drive. Please share your aerial pictures. Having seen it at ground level, I would love to see it from above.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #16

I thought I read a law was passed, not sure when it was going in effect, but making everyone with a drone to get a license. It also included very strict usage restrictions. Anyone know if that was correct?

I can see the good side of drones, but, I can also see a huge potential for bad with drones. Personally I have no desire for one.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #17

Quote:
So you’re say when I take pictures of my kids or camper at the campground and you’re in the background, that I need to blurred out your face? I have pictures of my kids on internet and anyone can steal those images but stealing is a crime. When I take pictures of your face, I am not stealing your face.

Again, the problem is your attitude. You appear to have no respect for the privacy of others. Just because something may be legal doesn't make it morally ethical.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #18
Site Team

This thread has been reported to staff and will be monitored.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #19

Like my first post, flying a drone can be a lot of fun BUT it can go south really fast because so many owners have a low respect for neighbors and fellow campers or boaters. The ? that was ask, YES it has a lot to do with the camera and the knowledge that someone who we don't know might be filming our private activity. To make my point, forget the drone thing and just imagine what would happen if you set on the picnic table on an empty site and spent a couple hours just sitting there staring at my campsite. I know that my reaction would be to confront you and ask why you were sitting there staring at my family. Now back to the drone thing and you just ramp up that "what are you doing?" when I see you flitting around and hovering near my site. You could just be bored or having fun with your new toy, OR you could be casing my Honda 2000 or moped with a plan for later.

There are so many analogies to this. Playing a wild game of wiffle ball on an empty site beside mine, is an invasion of my space. A colorful light show as soon as it gets dark is an invasion of my space. Etc, etc.

Drone use should be limited to open areas like unused ball parks, or private property. Your hobby is not my hobby and it doesn't matter if you are hovering over my back yard or sitting on your 3d story patio using a 12x telephoto camera. I am one who hopes that the fantasy with drones goes the way of the hulahoop.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
...I am one who hopes that the fantasy with drones goes the way of the hulahoop.
We both know that is not going to happen, if only because they can be so darned useful (and fun). But people need to learn to be respectful of others and use some common sense (which seems to have become uncommon lately) when using them or governments will step in and either regulate them excessively or ban them outright. All it takes is a few chowder heads to ruin it for everyone.