Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2022, 01:13 PM   #1

Insurance Problems

I have a Progressive RV Replacement insurance policy. I was rear ended July of 2021. One collision center said it was totaled but the company took it to another place and they said they could fix it. Here it is January and no RV. They say it is due to not being able to get parts and they will not total it. I live in Missouri. Anyone have this type of experience. I was told that they will not reimburse for loss of use or loss of market value by the adjuster.
Walker0301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:24 PM   #2

I had a similar but not RV problem with State Farm and found that I could call in and ask for a different adjuster to review the claim. The second one was much better than the first.
You also may have the option of requesting it go to arbitration.

But one thing to do is go to the dealership near you or the one you bought it from and request they review the claim and see if they will help you. I did that with an RV claim where State Farm said the hail damage was to small to repair and the dealer said, in writing, that it would severely reduce the value. Last item to fight with is lost of value after repair. In many areas you have the right to claim that your resale value is reduced by the accident history which adds to the claim and could push it into a total.

Good luck and don't take it laying down, fight it!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:48 PM   #3

Putting trust in an insurance company to 'do the right thing' is most often unsatisfactory. With an attorney....things happen faster. With an attorney you will, I repeat...you will get the market value adjustment that always applies to accident impacted vehicles. With an attorney, insurance companies can see their costs going up the longer they try to 'adjust'. Adjusters know this. Insurance companies know this. The average guy doesn't. For about $200 you will get what you want, sooner rather than later and a fair settlement to boot. I've done the second adjuster routine with renters property damages and the attorney is a better way to go. Another option if the damage is high enough is a personal adjuster. They are a cross between an adjuster and an attorney. They will have a fee also.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:52 PM   #4

If I knew an attorney would only cost $200, I would jump on it. My experience is they want a cut of the settlement.
Walker0301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:55 PM   #5

It's a letter and a phone call. Get a better attorney.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker0301 View Post
I have a Progressive RV Replacement insurance policy. I was rear ended July of 2021. One collision center said it was totaled but the company took it to another place and they said they could fix it. Here it is January and no RV. They say it is due to not being able to get parts and they will not total it. I live in Missouri. Anyone have this type of experience. I was told that they will not reimburse for loss of use or loss of market value by the adjuster.
I was an adjuster for over 31 years and I ran into this situation several times. What you are owed depends on the policy and the state you are in. If you are using the insurance of the at fault party (if there was one), you are owed what the "insured is legally obligated to pay" which would include loss of use and diminishment of value (loss of value), depending on the state laws. If you are using first party coverage (your own policy), you would be owed only the cost to repair and any supplemental coverage such as loss of use (you pay extra for that).

The claim for diminishment of value (loss of market value) might get interesting. Traditionally, it is to pay for the difference in value before and after an accident because of a prior accident and the quality of the repair. However, with the market as it is, even with an accident record, the value may have increased due to the vehicle market.
Sorento
CRV
osbornk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:16 PM   #7

All perfect reasons to only insure using agreed value policies. Not stated value or god forbid, leaving that line blank. And in times like these, annual updates based on actual value letters from appraisers.