Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #1

Ivation desiccant dehumidifier

I've been on a search for a good quiet dehumidifier for years. Found one several years ago that I thought was perfect until I went through two of them in three years (Soleus). Decidedly unreliable.

Came across a fairly new type recently (desiccant) that I think really fills the bill. I'll know more in a couple of years as to whether it's reliable or not but it has a lot less to go wrong with it than a compressor dehumidifier.

Here in the northwest humidity is a real problem in the winter with all the rain. I like to keep the humidity of my rig below 60% to keep it from getting moldy and musty. This dehumidifier easily keeps it in that range and the really nice part is that it will go down to 33 degrees before it quits. A compressor dehumidifier only works down to about 50 or 55 and then spends most of its time in defrost mode. This one is also very quiet as the only noise generated is the fan. On low (which is where I keep it) you can barely hear it. On high its audible but much quieter than a compressor dehumidifier.

Just be aware that it draws so much water and the tank is so small that you have to hook it up to an external tank or drain. I'm draining mine into a recycled one gallon vinegar jug and I check it every week. Depending on the weather it'll be about half full.

I like it so much I bought another one for my garage. I can park a wet car in there at night and it'll be dry by morning. I have that one hooked to an outside drain. I also wired up a switch so it'll shut off if the garage door is open.

They're not cheap ($200) and they use quite a bit of power (500 watts on high), but I really don't care if I can protect my equipment. I monitored the power use for the one in my MH (it's on low) and it used a lot in the first couple of days and then settled in at 53% (as measured by an external hygrometer) and hardly any power usage. I figure it might cost me about 3 to 4 bucks a month at $.10 a KWH. The garage one (it's on high) will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-$30 a month.

For those that are interested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #2

After reading your review I also purchased one of these. I've only had it a week so we'll have to see about reliability. It really does a good job of getting the moisture out of the air. When I,m not using the trailer I have it on the counter top with a hose draining it into the sink.
I have always liked having a dehumidifier but like you have also had trouble finding one I like.
So for now I really like this one.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #3

So far I've found the operational design quite good except for the inadequate tank size. I've also had a minor problem with the output hosing leaking into the tank and the unit shutting off for a full tank. That problem was easily solved by pushing a bit harder on the hose connection.

I've also had two wet cars in the garage at once and in 3 or 4 hours the humidity is down to 60% again.

I've also noticed that the indication on my garage dehumidifier reads about 10% lower than an external hygrometer while my MH dehumidifier agrees with an external hygrometer. I don't find this really a big deal as none of these indicators are calibrated anyway. It's just an FYI as one the Amazon reviews mentioned poor hygrometer indications.

Now here's hoping that they're reliable!
Old 12-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #4

Added to my wish list. My current one has been doing a good job for almost 2 years.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
When it goes this will replace it with the one in your link.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Added to my wish list. My current one has been doing a good job for almost 2 years.
I have been using two like this for a while now. I had one go out and replaced it this year. Now the other went out so I got this new Ivation and it works a LOT better (so far).
Old 12-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I had also tried a peltier dehumidifier but didn't feel like it did much good. It removed a little bit of moisture, but my hygrometer didn't change any.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:05 AM   #7

This works fantastically try it out.
https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG50F.../dp/B06XJNM5PN
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #8

I'm a year in with two of these dehumidifiers and and they're doing a great job so far. The biggest problem is the small tank but that can easily be overcome with a hose going to the outside world or a bigger jug. Just make sure you push the hose on tightly or the connection will leak, fill up the tank, and shut the unit off. Spoken from experience and Amazon complaints.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #9

I don't have a problem with humidity in my RV but do in my basement. I installed a 50 ft. hose to my dehumidifier and put it up on blocks. Drains all the way around the edge of my basement to the sump pump.

I added a water sensor to my alarm system by the sump pump. That worked as it overflowed last winter while we were in Florida. My son was able to replace it since he lives nearby.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #10

Rodro- We also used this product with an older tiny camper. How many do you put in your rig for the winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
This works fantastically try it out.
https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG50F.../dp/B06XJNM5PN
Old 12-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
After reading your review I also purchased one of these. I've only had it a week so we'll have to see about reliability. It really does a good job of getting the moisture out of the air. When I,m not using the trailer I have it on the counter top with a hose draining it into the sink.
I have always liked having a dehumidifier but like you have also had trouble finding one I like.
So for now I really like this one.
Update.

This has stopped working at just under one year. Email has been sent to Ivation. Awaiting reply.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Update.

This has stopped working at just under one year. Email has been sent to Ivation. Awaiting reply.

Update:
After a short email back and forth got a new one delivered today. Good customer service (by email) and reasonably fast.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Update. This has stopped working at just under one year.....snip
Did the whole unit fail to operate, or was it a specific feature?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #14

It shutdown completely after about 30 seconds. I could unplug and plug back up and it would shutdown again.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:12 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It shutdown completely after about 30 seconds.......snip
Appreciate the updates......., and good to hear Ivation responded to you favorably.

I'm two months into using my Ivation and all good thus far. I'll report back if I incur any product issues.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Update:
After a short email back and forth got a new one delivered today. Good customer service (by email) and reasonably fast.
Thank you for the update. My biggest concern with this unit was reliability. This is my second year with two units running about 8 months out of the year. So far, so good.

It's also nice to know that Ivation has good customer service. Hopefully I won't need it.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #17

Are you still using this dehumidifier and do you still recommend? I have a Jayco Whitehawk 2020 27RB with 1 slide center of trailer. I live in North Florida, hot and humid. Our camper is currently stored 45 minutes away in covered (not enclosed) parking with electricity. I would definitely need to hook up drain through sink to grey water tank. Advice on whether the 13 pint or 19 pint is appropriate...will it be able to draw moisture from the bedroom which has a very small opening with slide pulled in?
Peanutbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #18

The one I have has been working good. It has gotten a loud knocking sound from the fan but it's working.