Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

Portable Air Compressor

Wanting to purchase a small pancake or hot dog type air compressor. Something that I can carry in my truck on trips and use for small projects around the house.

Reviews are all over the board on 6 pound type units.

What brand, type and size do you guys use and recommend?

Thanks.
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #2

I bought this one and keep it in my trailer. Use it to air up my tires to 80PSI, air bags on the truck (since I don't have an onboard compressor yet), balls, and floats while camping. I really like it. It is not 12v so it will only work at the house, while on shore power, or while plugged into the generator. None of those have been an issue for me since one has always been available.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fini-1-2-Ga...essor/50385522

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #3

I’m looking forward to responses on this as well. Just bought a Viair 400P-RV after reading reviews but decided I want to blow my lines to winterize and it doesn’t have the volume for that. So I’ll return it and will wait to see what folks are recommending here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmiddlebrooks View Post
I bought this one and keep it in my trailer. Use it to air up my tires to 80PSI, air bags on the truck (since I don't have an onboard compressor yet), balls, and floats while camping. I really like it. It is not 12v so it will only work at the house, while on shore power, or while plugged into the generator. None of those have been an issue for me since one has always been available.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fini-1-2-Ga...essor/50385522

I have that one as well. Works great. I have since added a viair compressor to my truck so I don’t need to plug into 110v to use it.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #5

I carry a small "pancake" compressor frequently especially on long trips. If I'm bringing my generator, I'm bringing my 110V pancake compressor. Beyond that I have a Viair 12V that I keep in the truck permanently.

One thing to keep in mind if you're using a 12V compressor is to make sure you have provisions for it to reach your trailer tires. Most 12V compressors don't have cordage/hoses long enough to reach from the front of the truck (where the battery is) to the trailer tires. I don't know that mine is long enough to reach from the battery on my tongue to my tires, but if I have to use it that way, I will make it work one way or another...

I wouldn't get one that plugs into a cigarette lighter; get one that has alligator clips for a battery.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #6

Don't shoot the messenger... I've had a Harbor Freight compressor for almost 10 years now and it works great all the time. I bought it to roof a barn, figured it was cheaper than renting a compressor for a week. If it didn't work I could return it and get my money back. It worked great and has continue to work for 10 years with no issues.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another HFT compressor for projects around the house like that.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #7

Recently purchased the $50 Kobalt at Lowes. 12 or 120 volt, I can set the dial for the desired pressure, connect to the tire valve, press the on switch and it simply shuts off at the set pressure. Up to 120 psi. Have aired up 9 tires so far. 8 were just topped off, 1 skinny spare went from 5 to 60 psi in about 3 minutes. Very light weight. I used 120v for power.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #8

DW bought me a combo unit. It is a Dewalt Battery Booster with a built in Air Compressor. Great unit. It is good for 120lbs and runs off the internal battery. Not overly fast but has never struggled to get the Greyhawks rubber up to 80lbs. I doubt it would produce enough flow to blow the lines though if that was the goal.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #9

Ok. I have a 2017 GMC 2500. It has a 110v outlet in the dash.

The compressor I am looking at draws 9.5 amps.

That compressor will probably not run on that plug will it?
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbranscum View Post
Ok. I have a 2017 GMC 2500. It has a 110v outlet in the dash.

The compressor I am looking at draws 9.5 amps.

That compressor will probably not run on that plug will it?
You would have to see how many watts your inverter is rated for. 110 x 9.5 = 1045 watts

I would doubt the inverter in your truck can handle that but I could be wrong. The one in my truck (2012 Ram 3500) will only handle 150watts.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmiddlebrooks View Post
You would have to see how many watts your inverter is rated for. 110 x 9.5 = 1045 watts

I would doubt the inverter in your truck can handle that but I could be wrong. The one in my truck (2012 Ram 3500) will only handle 150watts.
+1

Those in-dash inverters usually have just enough wattage to charge a phone or maybe a laptop.

Funny story: We were RVing on a friend's farm for the eclipse earlier this year. One of the other "guests" was tail-gate camping nearby. Early one morning while DW and I were sitting in the dinette after breakfast enjoying our coffee (brewed with our Keurig), we saw the wife of the couple carrying a Keurig machine up to the main house with a very "disgruntled" expression on her face. I knew immediately what had happened. I told DW they probably tried to run the machine from a plug in their dash or a small cigarette lighter inverter. Turns out that's exactly what happened. They had a 150 watt inverter (could've been 300, I don't remember exactly now) and thought it would run their Keurig! I literally laughed out loud when they confirmed my suspicions. I informed them that I use a 3500 watt generator, and when I fire up the Keurig, you can hear my generator hiccup slightly; not like it's going to overload or anything, but you can definitely tell something is drawing power. Those little heating elements use A LOT of juice!

Anyway, moral of the story; most of those on-board inverters aren't going to run much. For a 12V accessory that's going to draw any significant wattage, I always go for alligator clips and go straight to the battery. We use a 500W inverter on the ranch to run a 110V submersible pump to transfer water, and we always hook directly to the battery of an idling truck. Works great every time for me, but then I have twin 160A alternators.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #12

My 2017 F-350 has a 400 watt inverter. But it restricts what should be used, and I’m not sure why, and where an air compressor falls on this list:

“You can Use the 400 watt power outlet for these types of electric devices:
-Electric hand drills
-Rechargeable power tools
-Video games
-Laptops
-Televisions
Do not use the PowerPoint for certain electric devices, including:
-Cathode ray, tube-type televisions
-Motor loads, such as vacuum cleaners, electric saws and other electric power tools or compressor-driven refrigerators
-Measuring devices, which process precise data, such as medical equipment or measuring equipment
-Other appliances requiring an extremely stable power supply such as Microcomputer-controlled electric blankets or touch-sensor lamps.”

Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire View Post
My 2017 F-350 has a 400 watt inverter. But it restricts what should be used, and I’m not sure why, and where an air compressor falls on this list:

“You can Use the 400 watt power outlet for these types of electric devices:
-Electric hand drills
-Rechargeable power tools
-Video games
-Laptops
-Televisions
Do not use the PowerPoint for certain electric devices, including:
-Cathode ray, tube-type televisions
-Motor loads, such as vacuum cleaners, electric saws and other electric power tools or compressor-driven refrigerators
-Measuring devices, which process precise data, such as medical equipment or measuring equipment
-Other appliances requiring an extremely stable power supply such as Microcomputer-controlled electric blankets or touch-sensor lamps.”

400W is pretty impressive! I wonder if that's something of a "commercial" option? Like my truck is a "Tradesman"; that's why it has twin 160A alternators. The intention is for the truck to be used in a commercial application, or as a chassis for an ambulance/fire/police truck.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #14

Just be sure to get a quiet compressor.
We wouldn't want anyone in the campground to hear it running.

Heh
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Don't shoot the messenger... I've had a Harbor Freight compressor for almost 10 years now and it works great all the time. I bought it to roof a barn, figured it was cheaper than renting a compressor for a week. If it didn't work I could return it and get my money back. It worked great and has continue to work for 10 years with no issues.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another HFT compressor for projects around the house like that.
99% of my pneumatic tools are from Harbor Freight and are over 10 years old.. work GREAT for me... price was right also.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #16

I use this portable tankless 12VDC Air Compressor sitting in my truck tool box...
Purchased thru AMAZON back then...

Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow High-Volume 12-Volt DC Air Compressor... $60-$70 price range.

Google image

Everything stows away in a nice tote bag...

I set this on the tail gate of the truck and hook into the trailer batteries for 12VDC Power. Then I can walk around all of the tires on the truck or trailer to air them up.

I also use this setup to BLOW OUT my water lines on the trailer using a air adapter for the city water port on the trailer...

The beauty of not have a TANK is it takes a minute or so coming up to pressure which is perfect when blowing out water lines on my POPUP trailer. I can start it up and go inside and open and close valves as needed and not worry about having too much line pressure...

This unit is getting old now from lots of use but I can still air up a 80lbs tire pretty easy... When it was new it was suppose to have 150PSI capability...

Perfect for my OFF-ROAD Jeep trails and my OFF-ROAD Camping trips...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippers View Post
Recently purchased the $50 Kobalt at Lowes. 12 or 120 volt, I can set the dial for the desired pressure, connect to the tire valve, press the on switch and it simply shuts off at the set pressure. Up to 120 psi. Have aired up 9 tires so far. 8 were just topped off, 1 skinny spare went from 5 to 60 psi in about 3 minutes. Very light weight. I used 120v for power.
This is the one we use also small compact and works well for us.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #18

Makita

Use this at home and on the road.

2015 28.5 RSTS
2012 Ram 6.7L 2500 CCLWB
Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #19

I use a Craftsman inflator.
Sears.com
Battery is sold seperate. It uses the same battery as my brushless drill and 1/2" impact gun. I take all three with me every time and one charging unit. Takes up less space and if it runs out of battery, I got 2 more. I have a newer truck that has a 110v outlet in it so if I get in a pinch and all three batteries are dead, the truck will charge them.