Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #1

Security Cam Thoughts?

Now that I have unlimited cell data via a Jetpack I am interested in a wireless security cam. My thoughts are putting it inside aimed at the front door and incoming area from the road behind it. I'm sure night vision won't work too well due to shooting through double pane windows, but I really don't want something outside. I definitely want internet notification when motion is detected and ability to view what is being seen by the camera as well as a few hours of storage for recall/saving when necessary.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but will spend what is necessary. Monthly subscriptions aren't high on my list, but for the right capability/price that is a possibility.

I have zero interest in Alexa connectivity or Alexa in any form.

Do any of you have any thoughts or products to take a look at. I'm sure I'm not the only one with security thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Now that I have unlimited cell data via a Jetpack I am interested in a wireless security cam. My thoughts are putting it inside aimed at the front door and incoming area from the road behind it. I'm sure night vision won't work too well due to shooting through double pane windows, but I really don't want something outside. I definitely want internet notification when motion is detected and ability to view what is being seen by the camera as well as a few hours of storage for recall/saving when necessary.
Is it parked on your lot?
Is it on shore-power 24/7?
If it is on your lot, do you have a home security system?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:14 AM   #3

It is on my home base lot and I live in it full time. It is on shore power 24/7 and my internet connection is excellent via the Jetpack (Verizon tower less than a mile away). I want security for when I'm not here during the day and some evenings as well as when I'm sleeping. I could also use the device via the RV battery system when boondocking.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 05-03-2019, 06:23 AM   #4

I've had very good luck with Zmodo wifi camera's. I have 10 of them.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
Site Team

I am not sure if you can assign a port to a mifi unit that would tie it to the wifi phone. That would be required if you want to log into your camera to view it remotely.

The best bet would be to get a cell-based RV monitoring system. Of course they come with a monthly fee, unless you build your own.

A possible solution link

Add on Sensors

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #6

Lots of different solutions out there in varied price ranges. I suggest searching Amazon and reading reviews, good and bad. Read the comments and the answered questions as well. You can learn a lot and find what's just right for your situation. Some of the popular brands aren't really rated all that well.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #7

Check out this thread.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post739440

Our situation is a little different, but we capture everything outside 24/7 and record it when there is activity.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #8

We went with Arlo by Netgear. Works great with network connectivity, and then we added a usb drive to the base station so it still records when offline.
1963 IH Scout
brained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #9
BJR

For inside the house we've been using Amazon's Cloud Cams. They're OK for small areas and inside use. I have thought about throwing one inside the camper to watch the door for when it's parked. $120 a pop and you get notifications and limited cloud storage free.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C4UY0JK

It's always on but records snippets when there's motion.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #10

Wyze cams from Amazon. You wont find a better bang for your buck with this kind of quality. Hopefully it will work for your situation.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #11

I installed a nest doorbell cam on mine. You have the initial cost up front for the doorbell and I pay $5 a month for storage. It actually ties in with Google Mini and verbally tells you if someone had rung the doorbell. It also alerts you to any movement on your phone.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:31 PM   #12

I have a SimpliSafe system. I don't have any cameras but I know that is an option. You might look into that. Also, if you have the Verizon Unlimited it is not truly unlimited. Hopefully, it would be enough for a camera setup like you're wanting though. I know it's not sufficient for streaming
MontyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyRV View Post
I have a SimpliSafe system. I don't have any cameras but I know that is an option. You might look into that. Also, if you have the Verizon Unlimited it is not truly unlimited. Hopefully, it would be enough for a camera setup like you're wanting though. I know it's not sufficient for streaming
If you switch to the Verizon prepaid jetpack it is unlimited. I use almost a terabyte a month and stream 4 firesticks, a laptop, and 3 phones as well as the nest camera without issues. I pull down around 75mb a second.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlkn View Post
If you switch to the Verizon prepaid jetpack it is unlimited. I use almost a terabyte a month and stream 4 firesticks, a laptop, and 3 phones as well as the nest camera without issues. I pull down around 75mb a second.

Yep, I have heard that the prepaid is the only way to go with Verizon. I have had Verizon since cell phones came out. I kept trying their different unlimited packages and they were not. They all throttled me. I never tried that prepaid though. I ended up switching to T-Mobile and now I have truly unlimited. Very happy with it. They give me free Netflix and a veteran discount and I stream lots of stuff.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyRV View Post
I have the Verizon Prepaid Jetpack plan which is unlimited. I have had it since January and typically stream enough/month that my usage is 50-80gb. While they say it can be network managed if the cell tower is overloaded I have never noticed a slowdown at all.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #16

Thanks to all who have responded. I'm doing my own research, but I always like to hear what other RV'ers are doing. Nothing like first hand knowledge.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:37 PM   #17

Look at this...

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-P...ot/m-p/1518484
2010 Ram 3500 4x4 long bed crew cab
2003 Royal Star Venture 1300cc
Old 05-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #18

Another vote for Wyze cam. We have them at home. They are inside use only, have a micro sd slot for 32GB of local storage, free cloud storage of triggered events. Remote access from anywhere you have internet connection with your cell phone or tablet. They have 2 versions. A stationary cam and one that can be moved up/down, left/right from the app on your device. It's very inexpensive for what it does.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #19

I love the Ring camera systems because the motion alerts are excellent, they always work, very clear Visio and 2 way audio.

I also use DLink works ok, no monthly fee, has a backup SIM card.

My regular camera system and DVR in my home works good, however motion settings are too sensitive. You have to set up a separate Gmail account to receive email alerts and if you get too many emails from your camera system for motion alerts they sometimes shut your account off. That is why I recommend using a separate email account. You don’t want your main email account shut down. I prefer the ring you can also control the sensitivity remotely from your phone And the alerts are instantaneous popping up right on your phone.

But everything wireless all depends upon your signal.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:29 AM   #20

BLINK is another Amazon product. Simple Wifi. Cloud-based storage. Requires 2meg internet. Unlimited storage. No monthly fees. $80-$129 per camera (cheaper in multipacks).
When shopping, read specifications carefully. Many of these cameras mentioned in this string (including Blink) do not detect motion through glass.
Blink is available in both indoor and outdoor (water resist) versions.
daveswanson is offline   Reply With Quote