Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #1

TankTechsRx RV Holding Tank Treatment & Cleaner Review

I've always have had problems with the 1/3 sensor of our kitchen gray tank never getting clean. It always showed that the tank was 1/3 full.

I saw this product "TankTechsRx RV Holding Tank Treatment & Cleaner". I might have initially seen it here on the forum, but I can't remember.

See a picture of the bottle below. Here's a link to the TankTechsRx on Amazon.

It's a natural organic probiotics product - see their web site here for additional information TankTechsRx

They offer it in 8oz and 33.8oz sizes. I initially bought the 8oz bottle for a test trial to see if it would clean the 1/3 sensor in my galley gray tank.

On initial use it worked, the sensor was cleaned and is operating better then it has operated before.

Here's what I did on my initial test:
Last week-end when I sanitized the water system, I cleaned out the galley gray tank and added 2oz of TankTechsRx mixed with ~2+ gallons of water.

I let it sit in galley gray tank for a week and during our week-end camping.

After dumping the galley gray tank, the 1/3 sensor was still lit. That's what has normally happened - I was initially skeptical if it worked. I decided to do a rinse of the galley tank using my Flush King, it wasn’t a full flush but a quick flush. After that, the 1/3 sensor was off, which was the 1st time that’s happened after a short / quick flush using the Flush King. So now I'm thinking it worked.

I decided to put another 2oz of TankTechsRx mixture with ~2+ gallons of water in the galley tank before we drove home. After adding the mixture, the 1/3 sensor was lit again, which is typical and has always occurred when I’ve added ~2 gallons in the galley gray tank. But by the time we got home the 1/3 sensor was reporting empty, which has never happened before.

So now my initial assessment is that TankTechsRx really works.

They say for initial cleaning of a tank to start with a 2oz mixture.
Then once the tank is cleaned only a ½ oz mixture is needed for normal maintaining the tank.

I plan to continue using the TankTechsRx in the galley tank to see if it keeps the tank and sensors clean.

Note: They say you can use it for the black tank also, but I do not plan on using the TankTechsRx in the blank tank. I currently use Thetford's Aqua Chem in the blank tank, flush it regularly and that seems to work good for keeping the black tank and its sensors clean.

Hope this review was informative and maybe helpful to some of you.
Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
TankTecksRx.jpg  
Old 04-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #2

I tried it during my 2 week stint back and forth to Disney. Maybe it's b/c my black tank is relatively small thus making me evac it every 3 days, but I didn't find it worked at all. My sensors were reading wrong and the smell was awful (I only smell it when I'm topping the black tank off via the toilet before dumping).

I'm going to back throwing some Calgon down the tank to keep the sides slick (never had mis-reading sensors prior) and Walex blue packs for the stink.

I'm glad it worked for you though.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #3

Jopopsy,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with it. It's good to hear from others that use it.

Your experiences just re-confirm my position not to use it in the black tank.

Again thanks for your reply.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #4

It doesn't work for black tank like it says in the label. Smell is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

Update on TankTechsRx RV Holding Tank Treatment & Cleaner Review

After using this product for a few times into the summary on the galley gray tank, it hasn't performed as well in the warmer weather as it did in the cool weather of the spring.

In fact, IMO it didn't perform at all in the warmer weather. I'm talking about temps in the 80's.

I have a friend that works in the food manufacturing business and provided some insight to what may be happening.

This information is from a microbiologists that works in the food industry that is focused on creating sterile systems and microorganism growth in water systems and machines that have to kill them.

Microorganism can't swim but they do have a rapid reproduction cycle and there are many factors that accelerate and retard their growth. They do float with water currents and travel from place to place that way, but they do not swim. At 140 to approx 150 F if they have a food source, water and oxygen then can double in numbers every 20 minutes. They can actually grow into the millions/billions over night given the right conditions. If that temp drops to 40 to 50, they have very little growth as the they are temperature dependent. They can still survive, but not thrive.

From this explanation, I'm guessing the temps in the gray tank can get very high resulting in the TankTechRx solution not to be able to keep up with the growth of the microorganisms.

Bottom line, I have to retract my original statement indicating that I felt the product worked and I now agree with Jopopsy & farnik78 that in fact it doesn't work.

I hope some of you found this information useful.
Thanks for reading
Old 07-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnik78 View Post
It doesn't work for black tank like it says in the label. Smell is awful.
I go 10 days no odor.

Also if you didn't flush the tank several times to remove any previous chemicals you kill off the enzymes so it won't work.

They specifically tell you no cleaning or other chemicals should go into the tank.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
After using this product for a few times into the summary on the galley gray tank, it hasn't performed as well in the warmer weather as it did in the cool weather of the spring.

...snip....

From this explanation, I'm guessing the temps in the gray tank can get very high resulting in the TankTechRx solution not to be able to keep up with the growth of the microorganisms.
Any dish detergent that is not 100% natural will kill off the enzymes.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #8

They also mention not to completely drain your tank each time as you are removing all the helpful bacteria.

I just started using it so the Jury is still out on if it helps at all.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Any dish detergent that is not 100% natural will kill off the enzymes.
Good point Grumpy, thanks for the tip.

I'll have to check to see what the DW uses, to see if it's 100% natural. I think she may use Dawn dish soap.

I just ordered another small bottle of it, so I'll continue to use it to see if I get any better results.

I also plan to install a Tornado Flush kit in the galley tank to provide some additional rinsing and cleaning capability.