Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #1

Truck bed cover opinions

I’m considering a bed cover for my new truck, and I’m vascilating between a Bakflip Recolver rolling cover, or a folding (MX4) cover; the other considerations are an Extang Solid Fold, or Trifecta folding cover.
Who has either of the above mentioned covers, and can share their experiences?
Truck is 2019 Super Duty, short bed.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #2

I'm not a big fan of covers because 1. They limit what you can carry 2. Most are easily broken into. It depends on what you are planning to secure inside of your bed. I have used trucks with covers (never owned one) I did have a pickup with a cap once it was a pain to get stuff out of the front, I made a rolling bed that could be pulled to the front. I could stack stuff on it slide it to the front lock it in and use the back half for bulk stuff behind the fender wells I could slide long stuff under it
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #3

I have an Extang Solid Fold. I've had it for about 5 years now. I love it. You can stand on it. It's fully locking so long as your tailgate locks, and while not fool proof, it makes it very hard to break into. It keeps the bed dry, though I will say that when I first got it it did allow a little water in until the seals settled in. It is easily removable but it is heavy. The seals have held up well. One small seal on a folding edge was crushed when I bought it, Extang over-nighted me a new one. Overall it's been pretty flawless. When it's open it does not allow full use of the bed, but that does not impede my ability to use the bed. It might be an issue for others. However, unlike the Bakflip, it doesn't block the rear window either, which is one of the reasons I chose it.

You should also add the Undercover Flex to you list to consider. I really like these as it can be used like both the Solid Fold and Bakflip.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
BJR

I know it wasn't in your list but if you're open to other options I'd like to suggest the Tyger Auto T3 cover on Amazon. On my last truck I had a tri-fold Chevy cover and it was great. I wanted the same thing on my new truck and so far have been very pleased with the Tyger.

https://www.amazon.com/Tyger-Auto-TG...r=1-3-fkmrnull

It compares well to other fabric tri-folds.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

We have the Bakflip MX4 on our Ram 3500. It covers our Pullrite hitch and 60 gallon RDS auxiliary tank when closed. Now, as far as issues, in Texas, it's hot. And with it being black, it gets hotter. The cushions have come off. Bakflip sent me a new roll of 3m cushions which has held up. Current trip we're on, the cover was locked in the 4th stacked position. Had high winds, and both snaps broke during the trip that hold the folded panels down. We're lucky they didn't fly back and hit the 5th wheel front cap. Bakflip is two-day packaging me the new straps. I really like the cover. Just a few issues. Oh, also it leaks. Quite a bit and the installer tried to stop the leaks and wasn't successful. I gave up.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #6

It's not one of the brands you mentioned, but I've had a TruXedo TruXport rollup cover on my truck for a number years and have been very pleased with it.

If your truck is a diesel, keep in mind iyou may want an in-bed auxiliary fuel tank some day.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

I have a Bakflip folding cover (either a G2 or MX4, I don't remember) on my Ridgeline for 6 years now. Not a single issue with it, except for a quick spray of silicone on the latches once. The seals are still holding up great, let very little water in. It's really solid, I can stand on it and have carried gear on top of it.

Flipping it back isn't a big issue when carrying something big, or removing it by unscrewing the four nobs is a easy project. Someone would really have to pry their way in if they wanted to steal something from the bed. But that's not a issue for me, since I have the in-bed trunk, where anything important is locked up.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #8

I bought my truck used and it came with the Trifecta 3-fold for my 8' bed.
It's been great for my usage and I have no complaints.
It keeps the rain out and is very easy to take on an off.
While it is a "soft" cover that could easily be broken into - it is still a deterrent to theft and helpful to keep things out of sight. I don't particularly need it in the summer time because I do alot of kayaking but use it all winter long and no problems with snow, ice, etc so far!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdon Journeys View Post
I'm not a big fan of covers because 1. They limit what you can carry 2. Most are easily broken into. It depends on what you are planning to secure inside of your bed. I have used trucks with covers (never owned one) I did have a pickup with a cap once it was a pain to get stuff out of the front, I made a rolling bed that could be pulled to the front. I could stack stuff on it slide it to the front lock it in and use the back half for bulk stuff behind the fender wells I could slide long stuff under it
In the 30 years I've owned trucks, I've never owned a cover either because of the reasons you cite. However, I've refined my thinking on why I need one, and the benefits: 1) protect my golf clubs from the elements (when I was 25 I didn't have this concern); 2) keep the snow and ice out of the bed of the truck (makes the bed useless in the winter); 3) keep honest people honest for other items I may throw in there, such as skis in the winter. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I have an Extang Solid Fold. I've had it for about 5 years now. I love it. You can stand on it. It's fully locking so long as your tailgate locks, and while not fool proof, it makes it very hard to break into. It keeps the bed dry, though I will say that when I first got it it did allow a little water in until the seals settled in. It is easily removable but it is heavy. The seals have held up well. One small seal on a folding edge was crushed when I bought it, Extang over-nighted me a new one. Overall it's been pretty flawless. When it's open it does not allow full use of the bed, but that does not impede my ability to use the bed. It might be an issue for others. However, unlike the Bakflip, it doesn't block the rear window either, which is one of the reasons I chose it.

You should also add the Undercover Flex to you list to consider. I really like these as it can be used like both the Solid Fold and Bakflip.

So, your Extang will not fold up to the rear window to allow full bed access?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #11

Undercover Flex on my 2018 Super Duty short bed. It is a great cover!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
So, your Extang will not fold up to the rear window to allow full bed access?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
No. But that's why I bought it. I did not want the window blocked when traveling with it open. On the rare occasions I need full bed access the cover is removable and comes off in minutes.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
=Super Eagle;752932 However, I've refined my thinking on why I need one, and the benefits: 1) protect my golf clubs from the elements (when I was 25 I didn't have this concern); 2) keep the snow and ice out of the bed of the truck (makes the bed useless in the winter); 3) keep honest people honest for other items I may throw in there, such as skis in the winter. Thanks for the reply.
Those are the reasons I got one. If someone is determined to break in, they will. The cover keeps wandering eyes out of your truck and keeps the average person honest.. Plus, it's a lot easier to brush the snow off of the top versus shoveling it out of the bed.

Also, not that it really mattered, but I noticed a little bit of improvement in gas mileage after installing the bed cover. I guess not having a big hole and exposed "parachute" in the rear was a improvement in aerodynamics.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
I know it wasn't in your list but if you're open to other options I'd like to suggest the Tyger Auto T3 cover on Amazon. On my last truck I had a tri-fold Chevy cover and it was great. I wanted the same thing on my new truck and so far have been very pleased with the Tyger.

https://www.amazon.com/Tyger-Auto-TG...r=1-3-fkmrnull

It compares well to other fabric tri-folds.
We'll check that on out too. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
We have the Bakflip MX4 on our Ram 3500. It covers our Pullrite hitch and 60 gallon RDS auxiliary tank when closed. Now, as far as issues, in Texas, it's hot. And with it being black, it gets hotter. The cushions have come off. Bakflip sent me a new roll of 3m cushions which has held up. Current trip we're on, the cover was locked in the 4th stacked position. Had high winds, and both snaps broke during the trip that hold the folded panels down. We're lucky they didn't fly back and hit the 5th wheel front cap. Bakflip is two-day packaging me the new straps. I really like the cover. Just a few issues. Oh, also it leaks. Quite a bit and the installer tried to stop the leaks and wasn't successful. I gave up.
I'm glad you still like it after those experiences, I'm not sure how I would feel....
Regarding the leaks, isn't there a gasket, and gutter system that carries the water to a weep tube? Or, is it leaking at the corners? The thing about water is it's difficult to find the source, I understand.....
Thank you for sharing.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
It's not one of the brands you mentioned, but I've had a TruXedo TruXport rollup cover on my truck for a number years and have been very pleased with it.

If your truck is a diesel, keep in mind iyou may want an in-bed auxiliary fuel tank some day.
Yes, I do have a diesel, and I am considering an auxiliary tank someday. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #17

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm finding it a lot of work to reply to all, so i apologize if I didn't, but I certainly have read every reply, and appreciate the help!
Hoping someone will also comment on the Bakflip Revolvers as well for another perspective.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #18

Quote:
In the 30 years I've owned trucks, I've never owned a cover either because of the reasons you cite. However, I've refined my thinking on why I need one, and the benefits: 1) protect my golf clubs from the elements (when I was 25 I didn't have this concern); 2) keep the snow and ice out of the bed of the truck (makes the bed useless in the winter); 3) keep honest people honest for other items I may throw in there, such as skis in the winter. Thanks for the reply.
Those are pretty much the reasons I bought a cover. I am not overly concerned about security, unless someone watches you put something in there that they really want, they aren't really likely to break in just to see.

I have the Trifecta and like it a lot. Very lightweight and easy to install I installed mine by myself in the driveway during an ice storm - the only casualty were my frozen fingers. And the only reason I was out there that long was that the brackets for my bedrail system were a bit fussy to install (15 minutes?) Brackets are only installed once, and most models don't have them.

In regular use it is very easy to use and leak proof; mine goes through the car wash every couple of weeks in the winter. The whole thing pops right off with the release of two big wingnuts and weighs next to nothing. Reinstalling takes no longer than removing.

Highly recommend Trifecta 2.0 for an inexpensive useful and handsome looking cover.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Those are pretty much the reasons I bought a cover. I am not overly concerned about security, unless someone watches you put something in there that they really want, they aren't really likely to break in just to see.

I have the Trifecta and like it a lot. Very lightweight and easy to install I installed mine by myself in the driveway during an ice storm - the only casualty were my frozen fingers. And the only reason I was out there that long was that the brackets for my bedrail system were a bit fussy to install (15 minutes?) Brackets are only installed once, and most models don't have them.

In regular use it is very easy to use and leak proof; mine goes through the car wash every couple of weeks in the winter. The whole thing pops right off with the release of two big wingnuts and weighs next to nothing. Reinstalling takes no longer than removing.

Highly recommend Trifecta 2.0 for an inexpensive useful and handsome looking cover.
.....and the Extang website has another use for the cover: to protect your apples while a nice looking young lady rides on the tailgate....
Old 05-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm glad you still like it after those experiences, I'm not sure how I would feel....
Regarding the leaks, isn't there a gasket, and gutter system that carries the water to a weep tube? Or, is it leaking at the corners? The thing about water is it's difficult to find the source, I understand.....
Thank you for sharing.
Yes, there's a guttering system that's supposed to run into the drain hoses. At least that's the concept. And the leaks are mostly on the corners. All this talk about my cover is pissing me off. Now I want to get mine fixed! LOL! It does have a three year warranty so once I get back home I'm gonna work on getting it fixed.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote