Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would not be offended if someone could guide me to the search function without being hostile. If all we did was search, there would not be much to talk about IMO. BTW, I do plenty of searching.
I think there would be plenty to talk about, just less of people repeating themselves and others doing the same when they feel obligated to stay engaged to defend their previous statements. As suggested by others, joining or seeking out social groups based on interest in things like solar, generators, etc would open a world of knowledge on a subject to a newbie on something like solar or composting toilets etc.

To the forum administrators: is there a problem with the search functions. How about some help on how to use it.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #22
Site Team

I believe that you have to use a * after your keyword if I remember correctly..

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Old 09-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #23

I use GOOGLE to store all of my active photos. It seems all of the forums will post your threads as soon as you make them..

I have a couple of unique words in my signature line so when I search for K9PHT 14RT and when it loads up then select images it brings up all of my photos I have posted in my threads..

Try it out on your end...Use GOOGLE SEARCH and type in 'K9PHT 14RT' in the search form and select images when it loads up. You will see most of my photos I post on the forums. These already have the HTTP URL address assigned so I can add these to my threads again with almost CLICK CLICK...

Been doing this years now...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
Old 09-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #24

It's okay everybody. Click on something else.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #25
Site Team

Using the search tool at the top of the page I typed in generators using "titles only" and got 16 pages and 379 hits
on generators. Typed in inverter generators and got 14 hits. The search feature works fine if you keep it simple, not too many words and do not choose "search entire posts". Perhaps that is what new members are doing and becoming overwhelmed when doing a search.

RoyBraddy keep on posting all you want here, glad to see you are still going strong at 77.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #26
Site Team

It does work if you keep it to a couple of words and threads only. But the google tool is much more useful IMO.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #27

I like that if you type in the word "beer" in the above search you get 499 thread returns!

Just saying! It's Saturday, we all should be camping and having a beer!
Old 09-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #28

Using the search tool at the top of the page I typed in generators using "titles only" and got 16 pages and 379 hits
on generators. Typed in inverter generators and got 14 hits. The search feature works fine if you keep it simple, not too many words and do not choose "search entire posts". Perhaps that is what new members are doing and becoming overwhelmed when doing a search. Search results below.

I found what you did and it worked great, so why is that not the default search as soon as you click on the search at the top of the page instead going to the advance search
Old 09-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #29

All this valuable forum search function information.
Buried in a thread with "generator" in the title.

Ironic.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
All this valuable forum search function information.
Buried in a thread with "generator" in the title.

Ironic.
Misterious but so true. If I had simply ask about using the search function I don't think there would have been this kind of response. I am just glad that Norty and others have made some very constructive and helpful inputs.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:26 AM   #31

Bassdogs, while I share your frustration with some of the users, there is new information that comes out. When I joined the forum there was virtually no information about the 2000W Predator, or the A-1 Power Generator now offered by Costco. I agree about people searching but I am an experienced user (worked at Apple for 10 years) and the Jayco Search platform is OK, if you know what you are looking for. Note how many pages one gets on a search with "Generator." A Newbie might not know enough to limit the search. Too late to hijack this thread but my frustration is with the Newbies that not only don't search, they appear to not even open their manuals. I think it was Norty who told me to try the Google search, but then again, if you are new you are not sure what to ask. I know, at 67 I am getting a bit cranky but try to give each one of the Newbies a chance. If they continue to ask the most basic questions (and I do PM them suggesting they read the manual or use the Google search) I also stop responding to any basic questions. But please keep it up, you and a number of the users on this thread are my "go to people" for trusted information.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:06 AM   #32
Site Team

We have not been able to make the Google search function any more convenient that putting it in a Sticky in the "Forum Admin and Announcement" section.

Use it, it is good.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f23/
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-25-2018, 05:16 AM   #33

A forum is for discussion, if all people did is search... this forum would dry up in just a few days.

Have you seen the new Sportsman 1000 inverter generator. Sams Club has it for only $189... it is quiet as a mouse and charges batteries just as well as any red one.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:25 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
A forum is for discussion, if all people did is search... this forum would dry up in just a few days.
Correct! Many new members ask the same questions that us old timers have heard lots of times. The new members have not heard them. Asking questions is communication and patience is a virtue. I like to hear about new camping related things and learn a lot from just reading about what others have had good luck with. Also several times I have been surprised at something I thought I knew about that has changed and left me asking questions.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-25-2018, 05:32 AM   #35

delete
Old 01-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #36

Quote:
Asking questions is communication and patience is a virtue. I like to hear about new camping related things and learn a lot from just reading about what others have had good luck with. Also several times I have been surprised at something I thought I knew about that has changed and left me asking questions.
Couldn't have said it better. I might also add that writing is a difficult and completely different form of communication than speaking. Sometimes a simple misplaced word can turn an honest compliment into a perceived insult.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Correct! Many new members ask the same questions that us old timers have heard lots of times. The new members have not heard them. Asking questions is communication and patience is a virtue. I like to hear about new camping related things and learn a lot from just reading about what others have had good luck with. Also several times I have been surprised at something I thought I knew about that has changed and left me asking questions.
I agree 100%

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Old 01-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #38

We have been on many different web forums, newsgroups, and bulletin boards since 1995. Our primary purpose has always been to help others with information needed, and hopefully learn a few new things along the way.

Answering the same old questions over and over again can be laboring at times, and we think it's also human nature of some people to think that unless they ask the same question themselves they don't read or understand what had been previously posted.

We also understand that we had become a little overzealous the last time we regularly participated in these forums, and will strive for taking a lower profile this time around, not forgetting why we are here.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #39

I enjoy exchanging knowledge with people who respect each other's time, can fend for themselves, and can anticipate whether their particular question is one that's been asked and answered many times already. We live in the information age after all, so basic research has never been easier.

As an example: how did I choose a generator?
I watched several youtube videos by campers, read countless reviews, and studied the specifications on the leading generators. After a pleasant evening of research, I felt fairly well informed, and was able to make an intelligent purchase. If I was to pose a question about generators, it would have be something specific that wasn't covered elsewhere already.

I suppose I'm motivated by respect for my fellow forum members, curiosity about the subject at hand, an inclination to fend for myself whenever possible, and a desire not to appear stupid or lazy.

If someone appears unable to lift their food from their plate to their mouth, I close the thread and move on.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #40

When I became interested in the RV world I used forums as a library and I was amazed that every question I had was easily answered by doing a search!

I think new comers should be encouraged to do a search first.

But maybe all the posting activity is good for attracting advertisers to the forum.

I just get tired of seeing questions that have been answered (or argued) a hundred times.
Closed Thread