Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 07:25 AM   #1

Will comment no more on Generator threads

I totally understand the need for info and recommendations on a whole raft of different topics. I also understand that newbies [we were all there at one time or another] and folks looking to upgrade their camping experience come to the forum for advice. Hardly a week goes by that a new Generator/Inverter thread starts up. What they bought, what they are thinking about buying, what does it take to run your AC, best Inverter, quietest inverter, or the more for less solution. I get it!! Many of us have responded time and time again on many of these and after a few posts, they all seem to morph into I've got the XYZ inverter at XYZ retailer for 1/2 the cost of aHonda or Yamaha. Ya Ya Da and the thread slows and a new one starts up.

Just like Google, this site has a search function and it is pretty easy to use. Go to SEARCH and enter key words like generator, inverter etc and its all there. After reading if you still have questions or a clarification, then ask or even better PM the member who offered the original post.

As I have indicated before, I am in the Honda camp. I own them, use them and recommend them. That is just my opinion and other members recommend Yamaha or the new offerings from HF or Home Depo or Cosco or where ever. Guess I have just gotten tired of repeating the same posts or defending a choice over and over and over.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #2

That's kinda what happened to me on the RV NET this season... The RV NET is mostly big rigs with lots of Motohomes etc...

My comments for the most part was from my experiences running my OFF-ROAD POPUP Tent Trailer. I tried to stay away from the Motorhome threads but eventually I would throw some comments based on my experiences which usually got me into trouble with more of the smarter Motorhome owners. The Motorhomes with the built-in Truck makes things a bit different...

I have been down for all of this season due to trying to get my Battery Bank up and going again so I finally made the decision to tone down my RV NET participation.

JAYCO and especially POPUPPORTAL are more for the smaller trailers so I still participate here. Here again I sort of stay away from the large trailer comments. I know everyone is probably getting bored to death with my same ole story-line and same supporting photos I like to add.

I also consider my operations as a RV CAMPING mode verses the RV TRAVELER mode. My experiences fit better on these two forums... I also check into the STARCRAFT forum but there is not much participation there. IT has been getting more comments of late however...

I agree with on folks not checking in with the forum search or even GOOGLE first but it so easy to just ask... There seems to be a hugh questions just on Batteries haha It goes on and on about batteries...

Being a poor retirement man here I know what I need for batteries here but just can't afford the new ones haha... I'm looking to get going again next season but now I am starting to get OLD haha... I'll be 77 this October and love to camp off-road by myself. Probably not a safe idea anymore as the off-trails in the Woods seems to have starting filling up with lots of folks. Makes one think they be living there now. Used to never see anyone when I was OFF-GRID - Now I have at least one come up and ask for help in the food side during a 4-5 day visit...

I probably need to get a big dog to go with me...

Here I am babbling on haha...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
Old 09-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #3

This site's "Search" function has never worked on my iPad Pro.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #4

Search??

When I try to use the search all I get is " no results found "
I have wished for a search many times - maybe someday

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Old 09-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Aren't forums the chatter box channels from this day and age? Some people are just lazy to look up information themselves. How many do read manuals? Also there are many who need validations because they can not manage to make a choice themselves. Some have technical skill, others not at all. Some like to brag about their stuff and some not at all. Some are snobs, some are snoobs and some are simple. It is what it is. All kinds of people make a world...............of interest wouldn't you say. Is there lack of tolerance nowadays.......there definitely is. Just have fun on this forum or wherever you might go........Happy camping and be happy on this forum. Nobody is perfect! Work on increasing your tolerance and be patience.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
Old 09-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Aren't forums the chatter box channels from this day and age? Some people are just lazy to look up information themselves. How many do read manuals? Also there are many who need validations because they can not manage to make a choice themselves. Some have technical skill, others not at all. Some like to brag about their stuff and some not at all. Some are snobs, some are snoobs and some are simple. It is what it is. All kinds of people make a world...............of interest wouldn't you say. Is there lack of tolerance nowadays.......there definitely is. Just have fun on this forum or wherever you might go........Happy camping and be happy on this forum. Nobody is perfect! Work on increasing your tolerance and be patience.
aljo -=- you rant but miss my point entirely and that may be part of the problem that I spoke about. Nobody wants to do any research to gather info to their inquiry BEFORE doing the inquiry. If you noted, I didn't say they had to stop seeking validation or are just too lazy [your words] to read manuals should not continue to post or start threads as they wish. I simply said I was done repeating myself on the same ol same ol. Its a bit like Einstein said doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity. There are all kinds of people in the world and that is not the point in my post. I have and will offer whatever help I might be able to pass on. I will not waste my time on the threads as they were mentioned about generators. Valadation or whatever, my participation on this and other forums is not focused on mindless chit chat. Not going anywhere but there is a reason I have never ran across any of your posts before.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
If I was smarter I would post the link, but in the Forum Admin and Announcement thread there is a search link that works fine. This is not the search option at the top of the site.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #8

It's also a problem when you write "nobody wants."
That's blaming some of those who might have a generator question or issue to pass a long and have used the search function.

I know lets talk about tires, or wdh, or weights or solar, or add a wood thing
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
Old 09-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
I think the key is to keep it simple. Just search on one key word [like generator] rather than a more detailed phrase. I use the search function at the top of the page.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #10

It's not the constant repetition of the same topics that gets me, it's the people that start these threads and then never reply. We need forum software to evolve. I'd like to see some logic statements applied.

If user post count ≤5, then, no starting generator thread.
If user post count ≤5, then, no starting solar thread.
If user post count ≤5, then, no starting tow vehicle thread.

Then I would like to see a rating system applied to the forum posts. Some forums now have like buttons for a post. In this scenario, the forum software should be intelligent enough to scrape the data and classify the quality of the information. If 230 members click the like button on some awesome post about generators, it could be easily presented. A key word search for generator would come back with something like... "It appears you're searching for generators?" Based on forum feedback, these are the top 10 posts from forum members regarding generators.

Wishful thinking

Another reason we need artificial intelligence to evolve for forum use would be to determine whether you're trying to find information on what generator you want to buy, or if you're creating another thread to complain about generator usage.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #11

[QUOTE=geezerbob;569062]It's also a problem when you write "nobody wants."
That's blaming some of those who might have a generator question or issue to pass a long and have used the search function.

I know lets talk about tires, or wdh, or weights or solar, or add a wood thing
[/QUOTE

You are correct and I did not mean to say everybody rather should have said those who don't want.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #12

At one point on this site, I routinely suggested to newbies that they use the search function because lots of information was already posted here related to their question(s).

BOY did some JOF members jump on me for that! They said I should either know the answer(s) or look it up for newbies and post it.They said that JOF members should not suggest that newbies use the search.

OK. Lesson learned: I no longer suggest to anybody that they use our search function. I have occasionally suggested they join a social group; Solar, for example. Hopefully I haven't crossed a line suggesting that.

(BTW, I used the search function for weeks before I ever posted on this site. I learned lots of things. Some things I learned before I even knew I had a question about them. )
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #13

Actually I like to be able to make comments to the questions etc... Seems like however when I do make comments there is always someone who is alittle more knowledgeable and then the bad comments come out "Don't do what ROY says - he doesn't know what he is talking about"... That always turns me off right away... I try to only make comments that comes from my experiences only now, not telling someone what to do but pass along what I usually do in a similar experience... Since I only have done Sleeping Bag Camping, Tent Camping and POPUP Tent Trailer Camping and very little RV TRAVELING kinda reduces my knowledge input values I guess...

This falls under the old saying "Too many Indian Chiefs and not enough Indians haha..."

Have done a many of LEAN TO CAMPING back in my JEEP days similar to this GOOGLE IMAGE. All the comforts one needs. Not much room in the JEEP to carry things... Now days they have all the added appliances and all which makes everyone wanting to setup a homestead in the woods haha

Captain Kirk tells Scotty "Scotty, We Need More Power!" Scotty says “I'm givin' her all she's got, Captain!"

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
Old 09-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Have tried the google search for this site? It's much more thorough than the vBulletin one. I have it in my forum sig.

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...95:_douuy_o5dq
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
This site's "Search" function has never worked on my iPad Pro.
Try this one: https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...95:_douuy_o5dq
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #16

Every forum I visit is the same way. It's just what happens when humans are involved.

On the sailing forum, it's questions on anchors, or what boat should I buy to sail around the world for less than seven-thousand dollars.

On the guitar forum, it's how do I get my Stratocaster to stay in tune?

On the gun forum, it's what is the best handgun caliber, and why do the jerks on the for sale forum want way to much money?

Antique sewing machine forum? What's the best cleaner to use on a 1932 Singer?

There's plenty to get annoyed about on the typical forum. When I get annoyed, I ask myself, "why should I get annoyed by some guy sitting at his computer in another state?".
Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbd View Post
If I was smarter I would post the link, but in the Forum Admin and Announcement thread there is a search link that works fine. This is not the search option at the top of the site.
Forum admin can/should put a redirect or header to the Google search on the Forum search link...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

Old 09-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
At one point on this site, I routinely suggested to newbies that they use the search function because lots of information was already posted here related to their question(s).

BOY did some JOF members jump on me for that! They said I should either know the answer(s) or look it up for newbies and post it.They said that JOF members should not suggest that newbies use the search.

OK. Lesson learned: I no longer suggest to anybody that they use our search function. I have occasionally suggested they join a social group; Solar, for example. Hopefully I haven't crossed a line suggesting that.

(BTW, I used the search function for weeks before I ever posted on this site. I learned lots of things. Some things I learned before I even knew I had a question about them. )
I would not be offended if someone could guide me to the search function without being hostile. If all we did was search, there would not be much to talk about IMO. BTW, I do plenty of searching.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 09-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

The search function can be good thing and if some are really having a problem with using it then the moderators should step in and help. I have to keep coming back though and point out that this was about ME no longer posting to generator related threads and the reason why. I would like to see members effectively use the search function to refine their inquiries. The idea of joining a social group as you suggested is a very good idea.

Maybe this thread will give a boost to more self help thru the search function or maybe not. I am not a generator expert, just a long time user and familiar first hand with a lot of experience. I'd be glad to assist anyone if they would like to contact me via a pm. For those more focused on social chit chat I say have at it and I will move on.

Signed Happy CAmper who has dogs that don't bark or bite
Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #20

Just tried the search that norty posted and it works great, I have tried the search at the top of the page many times and getting no information on what I am looking for. Maybe if the search button on the page worked better it would slow down the repeat threads. Thanks Norty
Closed Thread