Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2017, 01:07 PM   #21
Site Team

Looks like another Can I tow it thread headed to the JOF towing thread graveyard.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500. Crew care with short bed. Has the 6.2 liter engine 420 hp.

I am wondering if any of the Japco 5th wheels are being pulled by 1/2 ton trucks.

Steve
Read this: 2017 Half-ton Truck Tow Rating Reviews
Old 01-03-2018, 12:24 AM   #23

seems like if you want a 29.5 Jayco BHDS then you should get a 3/4 like a Ford 2500 or Chevy 2500. I am looking to buy a new truck and trailer. 1st time
JScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
What's the gross weight of you 5th wheel you want to buy?

Mine is a 2016 27.5 Eagle HT (half-ton towable) RLTS with most options. My gross weight 8400 lbs. I tow it 2015 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab with 4 wheel drive and short bed. I added vented rotors to the front brakes with double piston rotors and air bags on the rear. 10 ply off road tires all around. The Sliverado max toe weight from factory is 9200 with 5.3 v8. It's all about stopping.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Looks like another Can I tow it thread headed to the JOF towing thread graveyard.
Crabman, can you please advise why every thread where somebody asks a question about pulling with a "half-ton" has to be closed because of uninformed and pointless posts by the "Can't tow with a half-ton crowd" ?

It can be very useful for potential purchasers to review the actual experiences of other forum members with a similar trailer and what weights they have to be concerned about to properly equip their trucks. If false and inaccurate statements are made and not commented on or corrected because a thread is closed JOF members may be mislead into believing that these statements are accurate.

It would be far more effective for the moderators to simply delete these types of posts and instruct the posters to refrain from these types of posts in the future. It is the same posters making the same uninformed statements over and over again with dire safety warnings to anybody who contemplates towing with a half-ton. It is safe to tow with a properly equipped modern half-ton provided the manufacturers weight ratings are respected. Examples of clearly pointless uninformed statements in the present thread include:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
It's not always about pulling a fifth wheel it's about stopping a fifth wheel.Attachment 36413

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
Yes, but if the trailer brakes fail the truck must handle it
Quote:
If the trailer brakes fail and in a emergency situation where some cuts you off then comes to a quick stops your truck maybe not able to handle it.
Any knowledgeable person with any towing experience that has driven half tons, 3/4 tons and one-tons, 3/4 tons and one-tons do not stop in a shorter distance than a similarly equipped half-ton (DRW's would be the exception but they are a category of their own) and hitching a trailer does not change this. Trailer brakes stop trailers unless proper maintenance and annual checks are not performed and if you don't perform any maintenance on your trailer, you might be safer with a DRW 350/3500 when your brakes fail.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #26

Have you done in a half ton? We have and it's doable.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Crabman, can you please advise why every thread where somebody asks a question about pulling with a "half-ton" has to be closed because of uninformed and pointless posts by the "Can't tow with a half-ton crowd" ?

It can be very useful for potential purchasers to review the actual experiences of other forum members with a similar trailer and what weights they have to be concerned about to properly equip their trucks. If false and inaccurate statements are made and not commented on or corrected because a thread is closed JOF members may be mislead into believing that these statements are accurate.

It would be far more effective for the moderators to simply delete these types of posts and instruct the posters to refrain from these types of posts in the future. It is the same posters making the same uninformed statements over and over again with dire safety warnings to anybody who contemplates towing with a half-ton. It is safe to tow with a properly equipped modern half-ton provided the manufacturers weight ratings are respected. Examples of clearly pointless uninformed statements in the present thread include:

Any knowledgeable person with any towing experience that has driven half tons, 3/4 tons and one-tons, 3/4 tons and one-tons do not stop in a shorter distance than a similarly equipped half-ton (DRW's would be the exception but they are a category of their own) and hitching a trailer does not change this. Trailer brakes stop trailers unless proper maintenance and annual checks are not performed and if you don't perform any maintenance on your trailer, you might be safer with a DRW 350/3500 when your brakes fail.
We do not close them all, and this one has already been edited but remains open, at least for now. We tire of coming back to the same threads for editing or having them reported daily so eventually staff shuts em down. We do not remove posts or close threads that may or may not make sense to one party or the other (within reason), but rather the ones that turn into pissing contests, name calling, or being generally uncivil to each other. The subject matter can and should be debated in a civil manner or not at all. Sometimes a simple reminder or warning like I posted the other day can stop a post from heading further south, and sometimes not.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #28

To poster Ottawastevec

You may not know this fact but Jayco has a line of fifth wheels called Eagle HT. HT stands for Half Ton. These rigs were designed and built for the half ton pick up market. Jayco relaized that there is more half tons being built and sold then any other class of pick up on the market today. If you don't believe me talk to you local Jayco dealer or call the factory.

Better to be kept current and informed of this ever changing RV market then to ask to be sensored on this blog.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
To poster Ottawastevec

You may not know this fact but Jayco has a line of fifth wheels called Eagle HT. HT stands for Half Ton. These rigs were designed and built for the half ton pick up market. Jayco relaized that there is more half tons being built and sold then any other class of pick up on the market today. If you don't believe me talk to you local Jayco dealer or call the factory.

Better to be kept current and informed of this ever changing RV market then to ask to be sensored on this blog.

Marko, we are not in disagreement, I am well aware that properly equipped half-tons are more than capable of towing the Eagle HT series as well as some of the other lighter 5th wheels. No offense intended. You will see in past posts that I have been accused on multiple occasions of endangering my family and everybody else on the road because I am towing with a "half-ton".

It is a common theme on this forum that "half-tons" are unable to tow safely and you need at least a 3/4 ton to stop safely. We are unable to see your tow setup in your signature and you were looped in with the comments from JScottH that "you should get a 3/4 ton" which followed the other two comments that the OP's truck won't be able to handle braking if he does not have a 3/4 ton. You would not believe the number of claims on this forum that you need a 3/4 ton so you can stop safely.

I now see that you are towing with a "half-ton", as do I, within your tow ratings and likely have many safe miles under your belt despite what the "Gotta have a 3/4 ton" fan club says.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #30

Thanks for your comments. Half tons unite. Nothing rides like a half ton.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. Half tons unite. Nothing rides like a half ton.

Nothing stop like a 3/4 ton. But Toyota Sequoia are the best riding and stopping period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
Nothing stop like a 3/4 ton. But Toyota Sequoia are the best riding and stopping period

Everyone has an opinion but mine is American owned and American made. Chevrolet made

Old 01-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #33

1/2 Ton pullable.

My is own by me ( title free and clear)and made in TN, USA

mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Nothing rides like a half ton.

My wife’s Nissan Murano. It’s nice..... couldn’t resist.

People get so spun about this subject. You’d think we were talking religion or politics. In the light weight fiver world, I’d say it’s whatever works for the individual. It’s like leaf blowers. Chorded, battery, gas powered. Take your pick. They’ll get it done. Some just make the job easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #35

Ok people here's what and how I asked my questions to a pickup dealer. I asked if a 1/2 ton pickup could pull a 5th wheel? He said No 1/2 ton with a short bed could. I was trying to figure out if my Chevy with the 5.3L engine and 3:42 gears could pull the 5ther I was wanting. He said No manufacture would say yes to a 1/2 ton pulling a 5th wheel because it's all about liability in today's world. So I reworded the question, could my 1/2 ton pull a trailer that weights less that 9500lbs. The dealer then said yes. Taking that into mind, I bought a Pullrite 12K superglide hitch and put a Firestone air bag system on my Chevy. Bottom line in my opinion is, if the weights of the camper you have stay in the pulling capacity of your pickup your ok.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #36

What ever works for you.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:43 PM   #37

Isn't the really important number the cargo weight limit of your TV rather than the towing capacity. A 5er will add a lot more weight onto the TV than a TT. And a farm wagon where almost all the weight is on the trailer really what towing capacity is all about, not a TT or 5er. I love my Tundra, best truck I have ever had and it's a beast with power, but, I don't believe your going to find many 5ers that my Tundra could handle without being over loaded. Overloading, over time, will cause excessive wear and tear on the vehicle. I would not want to tow a 5er with my tundra, air bags and other add on's don't increase the load capacity of the axle, or transmission or anything else.

Common sense needs to be practiced. I may stretch what I tow, if I know I'm only going to tow a 100 miles all flat and no heavy traffic. I tow out west, typically 1,000 miles or more each way and most time in mountains...so I take that into account. My 27RLS is about as much TT as I would want to tow with my Tundra. It handles it with no issues and stopping (even without TT brakes) have never been an issue. I enjoy towing when I get no sway, no white knuckles and no OMG moments.

Use common sense, taking into account all the numbers and how and where your going to be towing.

Enjoy...5 weeks till Pitchers and Catchers start reporting for Spring training

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #38

1/2 ton ?

The payload rating on any truck is based on the weakest link- not only brakes !
Our so called HT 27.5RLTS mildly loaded has a pin weight of 1800 lbs. (2) person and hitch we are adding 600 lbs for a total payload of 2400 lbs. I believe the new 2018 ford 1/2 ton has a model that can safely handle this--- but I've yet to see a any other 1/2 ton with a payload rating of 2400 lbs +. That is why I traded my 2015 1/2 ton ford for a 2500 Chevrolet.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #39

Archie is right on the money. The lightest (based on pin weight) 2018 Jayco HT 5th, the 25.5REOK, has 1235# of pin weight. Throw a few hundred # of cargo in the camper, a 100# hitch and a few passengers and firewood and all but the heaviest payload equipped 1/2 ton truck are overloaded by a lot! In reality, my 2500 Ram Cummins will be overloaded hauling about 1/2 of the HT 5th wheels!

Will the 1/2 ton pull the weight...absolutely. Will the added weight overload the drivetrain and wear it out faster...absolutely. Will the owner of said truck keep it long enough to ever see these issues...most likely not nor will they care.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
The payload rating on any truck is based on the weakest link- not only brakes !
Our so called HT 27.5RLTS mildly loaded has a pin weight of 1800 lbs. (2) person and hitch we are adding 600 lbs for a total payload of 2400 lbs. I believe the new 2018 ford 1/2 ton has a model that can safely handle this--- but I've yet to see a any other 1/2 ton with a payload rating of 2400 lbs +. That is why I traded my 2015 1/2 ton ford for a 2500 Chevrolet.
Archie-I have a 2009 F150 with a payload 2405 lbs. Was special ordered and its called the "Unicorn." Not very many around but it does the job.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote