Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #1

1/2 Ton pullable.

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500. Crew care with short bed. Has the 6.2 liter engine 420 hp.

I am wondering if any of the Japco 5th wheels are being pulled by 1/2 ton trucks.

Steve

Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #2

I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 and have towed a Eagle HT 28.5 rsts over 4000 miles occasionally pulling a 13 Boston Whaler behind without any problems at all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500. Crew care with short bed. Has the 6.2 liter engine 420 hp.

I am wondering if any of the Japco 5th wheels are being pulled by 1/2 ton trucks.

Steve
Many trucks will drag an RV down the road, but run the numbers to see if it can be done safely. Typically load capacity will be exceeded long before towing capability. Check your door jamb for the total cargo capacity of your truck, this will include anything in your truck, ie people, cargo plus the tongue weight of your RV with hitch. Not many 1/2 ton trucks have the capacity to haul a 5er but yours may. Numbers will give you hard facts as to what is safe and what may not be.

Good Luck.

NEVER rely on a dealer, either truck or Rv to give you an honest answer to your question.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
NEVER rely on a dealer, either truck or Rv to give you an honest answer to your question.
I take offence to this statement ..... i am a dealer (GM), and i am always answering towing questions regarding tow ratings etc. Maybe it's because i'm GM, and we can tow , so i can give the facts....unlike those other manufacturers who wanna be big 3 pickups!
2017 Jayflight 26BH ..... Jayflight #6 ( and holding)
jaycojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
snip..... I am wondering if any of the Japco 5th wheels are being pulled by 1/2 ton trucks. Steve
Steve,

The best thing you can do is take your TV under "loaded" conditions (full fuel, passengers, cargo) to a CAT scale and weigh it (3-minutes and about $9). Subtract the CAT scale weight from your TV's specified GVWR...., the remaining weight is your "available payload capacity".

Your available payload capacity is what you have for your hitch weight and the FW's "loaded" pin weight. Average recommended "loaded" FW pin weights fall in the 20% to 25% weight range of the FW's gross loaded weight.

Knowing your 1/2 ton's "available" payload capacity will narrow down the 5th wheels that may be a match for your particular TV.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
I take offence to this statement ..... i am a dealer (GM), and i am always answering towing questions regarding tow ratings etc. Maybe it's because i'm GM, and we can tow , so i can give the facts....unlike those other manufacturers who wanna be big 3 pickups!
I guess he should have said many dealers not imply that all dealers lie. My experience is with the previous poster's statement. We were at Camping World in Dathan Ala getting a feeling if we could handle a 5'er with our 2008 Silverado 1500. The salesman was all to reassuring that our crew cab 1/2 ton with a short bed would be fine to pull one and was working up a sweat trying to sell us a used unit that was not anything close to a a light weight. But since we were just starting our search his efforts fell on deaf ears. Later when we go home and I did some research, I was directed to the section in our manual that clearly stated that you should NOT pull a 5er with a short bed. So much for honest dealers.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:18 PM   #7

Most all 1/2 tons pulling 5th wheels are over loaded. 1/2 tons need special option packages to have enough payload to carry the pin weight. Pin weights on 5th wheels are lots heavier than TT's.
Look on your door jamb to find the yellow sticker that shows you max cargo capacity. If you don't have at least 2000 lbs then you'll be overloaded.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:37 AM   #8

It's not always about pulling a fifth wheel it's about stopping a fifth wheel.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170820_162208.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	36413

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
[QUOTE
I take offence to this statement ..... i am a dealer (GM), and i am always answering towing questions regarding tow ratings etc. Maybe it's because i'm GM, and we can tow , so i can give the facts....unlike those other manufacturers who wanna be big 3 pickups![/QUOTE]

I am sorry if I offended you but in my experience 99.9% of sales people know nothing about towing. They may at best, quote the towing capacity of a vehicle, which we know, is almost meaningless, as cargo capacity is reached long before towing capacity. Perhaps if your towing farm wagons, where you have little weight on the tongue, that number means nothing.

I have shopped at Ford, Chevy, Toyota, GM, and none gave me a correct answer. It may not be their fault, they just don't have a clue. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

The yellow sticker on the door jamb is the important number when towing.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
I am sorry if I offended you but in my experience 99.9% of sales people know nothing about towing. They may at best, quote the towing capacity of a vehicle, which we know, is almost meaningless, as cargo capacity is reached long before towing capacity. Perhaps if your towing farm wagons, where you have little weight on the tongue, that number means nothing.

I have shopped at Ford, Chevy, Toyota, GM, and none gave me a correct answer. It may not be their fault, they just don't have a clue. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

The yellow sticker on the door jamb is the important number when towing.[/QUOTE]

Then maybe it should have been said, they never give an informed or educated answer. In any reagard, when a potential sale is on the table the truth is all to often sluffed to the side.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote