Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #21

All you have to do is crawl under a newer 3/4 ton truck and it is obvious what the difference is. Everything is basically way bigger, from the frame, brakes, drag links, suspension, transmission etc, etc. I had a Tundra CrewMax with 5.7 and it was more beefy than most 1/2 trucks. Once I bought my RAM 2500 and looked underneath it was rather eye-opening how more robust a 3/4 ton tuck really is. My Tundra towed our 24’ trailer fairly well but once we move up to a 28’ it took just a few trips to realize 1/2 ton trucks get moved around on the freeway when it’s windy or when big semi’s are passing you. Anyone who thinks their 1/2 ton is a beast of a tower, try Salt River Canyon in Arizona.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #22

I hold a very unpopular position on this subject.

See the attached picture.

I have done tons of research on this and I've become convinced that the overarching theme that overloading your truck is going to lead to certain death is just not accurate. No one can ever tell you that its ok. They will never want to take that liability. You also need to know how to drive and use common sense....something that may be lacking in our society these days. I have multiple friends who are structural engineers. We've gone over the numbers on my set up. We have concluded that I am well within the limits that the truck is capable of. By the numbers, I am over my rear axle weight rating. Everything else is within the factory numbers. In practice....the set up is far more stable than my previous tow behind trailer. I've towed this trailer a few thousand miles now. I've been up steep long grades and back down. I've been in wind both head and tail as while as cross wind. It handles just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
pic_of_truck_and_new_trailer_89b9b0d46ab43f86a77811a43f808426b2357e8c.jpg  
riddleswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #23

You’re going to poke your eye out.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddleswest View Post
I hold a very unpopular position on this subject.

See the attached picture.

I have done tons of research on this and I've become convinced that the overarching theme that overloading your truck is going to lead to certain death is just not accurate. No one can ever tell you that its ok. They will never want to take that liability. You also need to know how to drive and use common sense....something that may be lacking in our society these days. I have multiple friends who are structural engineers. We've gone over the numbers on my set up. We have concluded that I am well within the limits that the truck is capable of. By the numbers, I am over my rear axle weight rating. Everything else is within the factory numbers. In practice....the set up is far more stable than my previous tow behind trailer. I've towed this trailer a few thousand miles now. I've been up steep long grades and back down. I've been in wind both head and tail as while as cross wind. It handles just fine.

so if you are over your axle limit did you upgraded the tires and wheels to exceed the axle limit ?
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #25

The tires have been upgraded. Wheels are factory stock.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #26

With most 1/2 tons, once you reach the RAWR your at the GVWR, So chances are good that you're over that as well.
I will say that if you don't mind being over the GVWR, CCC and or RAWR then you may as well do it with a 5th wheel.

Towing a TT that long and heavy with that F150 would be a nightmare IMO. 5er's just handle so much better. I would much rather be on the road with the OP vs the guy with the 1/2 ton towing an 8,000 lb 34' TT.

If it where me I'd upgrade the 5er's brakes to disk brakes. That would give you much better stopping distances. Handling will be fine, acceleration is probably fine if the trucks got the 3.5 Eco.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
With most 1/2 tons, once you reach the RAWR your at the GVWR, So chances are good that you're over that as well.
I will say that if you don't mind being over the GVWR, CCC and or RAWR then you may as well do it with a 5th wheel.

Towing a TT that long and heavy with that F150 would be a nightmare IMO. 5er's just handle so much better. I would much rather be on the road with the OP vs the guy with the 1/2 ton towing an 8,000 lb 34' TT.

If it where me I'd upgrade the 5er's brakes to disk brakes. That would give you much better stopping distances. Handling will be fine, acceleration is probably fine if the trucks got the 3.5 Eco.
I've had it on the CAT scales a couple times and the weight that is on the front and rear axles of the truck is actually a couple hundred pounds under the GVW of the truck. I am also under the GCVWR as well. I totally agree with you on the handling and the disc brakes may be a good upgrade when the time comes too.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddleswest View Post
I've had it on the CAT scales a couple times and the weight that is on the front and rear axles of the truck is actually a couple hundred pounds under the GVW of the truck. I am also under the GCVWR as well. I totally agree with you on the handling and the disc brakes may be a good upgrade when the time comes too.
Cool. Sounds like you're on top of things.
Safe travels.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The 5er has the pivot point above the center of the axel. A TT is 3ft away from the center of the axle, this makes the difference. That's why it is safer with a 5er.
Windy condition makes things worse for a TT (not the weight if properly distributed).
By a gooseneck type of hitch a lightweight 5er can be an easy choice for a half ton, special if you only used a few times on the road and your daily driver is the half ton.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #30

I pull a 25RB with 2019 F150 2.7 twin turbo. It works hard going up steep inclines. Other than that it’s been good. Like others have said though, better to have more truck than you need than not enough. I’ll be upgrading to a F250 this summer.
Campinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
The half ton is for specific half tons... Not the run of the mill.
Ordered specifically with heavier tires, rear suspension and rear end ratio... Like everything else, buyer beware. You need to beware of the payload capacity on the truck. You can change tires add suspension upgrades but If you need to buy a truck buy a 250, 350, 2500, 3500 for hauling a 5th.
Heavier vehicle can control the 5th better. Bigger brakes, bearings axles. Money wise that special ordered half ton is going to be in the same price point or very close when you get done.

Just my 1/2 cent of knowledge.

RoadrunnerII
X2
Sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP53 View Post
no way I am pulling a 5er with a 1/2 ton truck sure you can pull it but how about stopping
It always amuses me when someone mentions stopping. They all have their own brakes so it’s not stopping that’s the issue. It’s not even pulling that’s a concern, but having enough weight to actually control what you’re towing. This is why this new thing with making trucks lighter, of aluminum, that’s worrisome. Also having enough tire, suspension strength. But braking?.....not an issue.
Joenissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #33

The short answer is.....maybe. As mentioned earlier, there are beefier half tons that can handle smaller fifth wheels. I pull a 2018 Eagle HT RLTS that’s about 32’ long with a diesel Titan XD and I can forget it’s behind me at times. The XD though has bigger brakes than a 3/4 truck, has a 3/4 ton frame and running gear as well as having the heft making it an actual class 2b truck. Anything bigger and I’d surely go with a heftier tv though. Just keep your weights in line with the trucks capacities.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #34

There are lighter HTs. I tow an HT RLTS that’s much lighter.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstor1 View Post
Are the half ton towables actually safe to pull with a half ton truck? Was looking at the 24RE at the Tampa RV show
The Ram says 12,750 trailer, Ram payload 1820, Your hitch weight is 1,495 your fully loaded 5th wheel is 9,995. The Ram is 4,805 plus 5th wheel total is 14,800, The Ram GCWR is 18,350 that leaves you with 3,550 extra. Ford should be even more
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #36
VKC

I had a 5th wheel that was "1/2 ton towable but I'm old school, The springs, brakes and cooling are all lighter on a 1/2 ton. I used a 1 ton for it but that's me.
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKC View Post
I had a 5th wheel that was "1/2 ton towable but I'm old school, The springs, brakes and cooling are all lighter on a 1/2 ton. I used a 1 ton for it but that's me.
Power Nation just sent me an email about the Ram HD and it will tow 37,100 pounds now. Bigger is better
Old 01-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #38

Tow unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstor1 View Post
Are the half ton towables actually safe to pull with a half ton truck? Was looking at the 24RE at the Tampa RV show
Yes you can tow with a 1/2 ton ... But My rule of thumb is tow a max of slightly over 1/2 of the towable capacity ... If your truck tows 8000 lbs I would not go over 5000 lb trailer ....... It works for me and keeps everybody safe !!! Never listen to a RV salesmen they will bury you in weight you dont want to have !!!
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:00 PM   #39

I have 2015 Ram Ecodiesel its GVWR is 6950, you add your trailer tongue weight and a couple people you have to be over your trucks GVWR, not safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumse to un3 View Post
My '13 1500 Ram crewcab 4wd has pulled our 27.5 camper with ease. My truck weighs in at 6,300 lbs with the slide hitch, trailer dry weight is 7 ,700#
I had TLC airbags as an assist, they kept leaking after 1st year . I added the Timron larger suspension bumpers which were under $300
They work great for me, no squat and control any abrupt bumps.
We only occasionally weekend camp but have traveled a 1,000 miles to our home state. Only if you're considering numerous cross country trips would I suggest a larger truck, and then a diesel to aide refueling.
When empty I've had best of 22mpg, pulling around 11mpg. My brothers new Chevy 2500 6.2 2wd.had best of 16mpg empty. Pulling his 12k camper he gets around 8mpg.
hoosierdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdome View Post
I have 2015 Ram Ecodiesel its GVWR is 6950, you add your trailer tongue weight and a couple people you have to be over your trucks GVWR, not safe.
Just need to order the right combination