Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #1

12 volt exterior lights

I have a 2012 Eagle 321 RLTS. I discovered during a walk around this evening that my right side tail light is not working. The bulb seems fine. I appears I don't have power going to the socket. It started raining before I could do anymore trouble shooting this evening.

Does anyone know if the right tail light assembly feeds from the left side tail light assembly? I realize the turn signal wire would be different for each light. Just wondering if maybe there is a splice behind the left tail light.

A wiring diagram would be nice. I requested diagrams from Jayco last year but all they sent me was the 12 volt interior diagram and the 120 volt interior diagram.

Any help would be appreciated before I start tearing into things looking for a bad splice.

KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #2

Do you have tail light power at the truck side of the 7 pin connector? Looking into the socket, it's at 11:00.

Are the marker lights all working?

The tail light circuit should be split up front, so the side markers feed from the tail light circuit on each side. The roof marker lights will feed from either side.

JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #3

Yes, All other lights are working which makes me think I have a bad splice somewhere going to the right tail light.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #4

Yes, possible splice problem. Also look into corrosion on the bulb/socket contacts or a burned out bulb. A cheap VOM can help you diagnose this type of prob. These type of problems sometimes have simple yet subtle solutions.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #5

Did you try a known good bulb on that side? Sometimes it's not noticeable that the filament is only bad, not blown black like usual.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Did you try a known good bulb on that side? Sometimes it's not noticeable that the filament is only bad, not blown black like usual.
Yes, I got that far before the rain. I have a new bulb that would not work either. That was the first thing I did was change the bulb There was a little corrosion on one contact in the socket. I cleaned that up and still no go. I have a good 12 volt test light and also an expensive Fluke meter. There is no power at the socket.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #7

At this point, if it was my problem, I'd start checking for power at the junction box where the trailer plug wire goes into. There may be a dreaded wire nut splice that's lost connection. Our box sits on the frame face behind the battery.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
At this point, if it was my problem, I'd start checking for power at the junction box where the trailer plug wire goes into. There may be a dreaded wire nut splice that's lost connection. Our box sits on the frame face behind the battery.
I can do that but it sure doesn't make sense to me that each individual light has it's own run all the way up front to the junction box.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
I can do that but it sure doesn't make sense to me that each individual light has it's own run all the way up front to the junction box.
Yea, sorry, it's late. Can you pull the light off the rear, and check for power/connections there? It's possible you lost the ground connection, but you usually get the dim light problem first.

I found our grounds screwed to the rear lower frame in front of the bumper. Just for a reference.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Yea, sorry, it's late. Can you pull the light off the rear, and check for power/connections there? It's possible you lost the ground connection, but you usually get the dim light problem first.

I found our grounds screwed to the rear lower frame in front of the bumper. Just for a reference.
Thanks. I did pull the light off the trailer to check the splice there. The 3 wires go to the left in the direction of the other tail light but the rain came before I could pull it off and check. finding a ground connection on the frame might be difficult with the artic kit. All that is visible underneath is the very bottom of the frame rail. I don't believe it's a bad ground. I grounded the meter and test ;light to the frame and did not get a voltage reading at the socket.