Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #1

12V Cigarette Lighter adapter wired backwards - Eagle 31.5 FBHS

Just posting another issue recently found in our 2013 Jayco Eagle 31.5 FBHS.
They have a 12V cigarette lighter adapter below the control panel as you enter the trailer on the left side of the entry way.
I thought this would be a perfect place to plug in a 12V volt meter that I found at Camping World so I can watch the charge on the trailer batteries all the time.
Unfortunately I plugged it in quickly and then walked away only to find it melted and burning a few minutes later.
Ends up the outlet is wired backwards - the +12V should be on the center connector in the outlet and the Ground should be on the inside casing (can) of the outlet. After getting out my multimeter it was clear that this was wired backwards from the dealer as i was reading -12V. Great, thanks Jayco.

I opened up the panel where all the lighting and slide controls are to see if I could easily get to the back of the lighter outlet to just swap the cables, but I couldn't see an easy way to get down there without probably having to from behind the cabinet its in and removing the wood interior there to get to it. So I closed it back and figure I'll have the dealer fix it the next time I have to take it in for something else.

Not that big of a deal, but if you have one of these you may want to check the polarity before you fry something of your own.
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #2

Good thing you didn't plug something expensive into that.

OTOH, something expensive woulda had reverse polarity protection (hopefully).