Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

12v current leak (attn. Boondockers)

There is another entire thread on this with pictures here:http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f4...tml#post424499
You can go to the last post in the tread.
I reposted it because I was afraid some of you might not notice the final post - it could be important if you boondock or use solar.

This may not be a problem on all rigs - in fact its possible that my trailer was mis-wired from the factory - or that it's just the Eagle HT 26.5RLS that are wired this way - but you might want to check.

On my rig, the Slide controller AND the Levelup automatic leveling controller were wired directly to the battery - NOT on the other side of the battery disconnect switch. Since both of these units always draw 12v power, even when "off", they can drain your battery dead in a couple of weeks in storage. And if you boondock - you're burning power you don't need to be burning while parked.

You might want to move any levelup and/or slide controllers onto a separate disconnect switch so you can eliminate that power usage when boondocking.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

Mine is like that. Not sure how much the leveling system pulls, but I was told it is to provide memory so that the function where it remembers hitch height works....When power is cut, it doesn't remember where the tow vehicle height was.
I have had the disconnect off on my trailer and after sitting for 2 weeks, I still saw 12.7 volts....
I have added a 200 amp breaker for my 1000 watt inverter on + side. I will disconnect it for long (winter) storage where I only charge once a month.
I may have to see how much current they draw to see if it is worth it to move when boondocking........
Old 07-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #3

Hmmm - didn't think of the memory feature. But I'm still glad I moved it. I would never use the cutoff switch when out camping - only in storage.
And in storage I never change the level after unhitching because it's already pretty close to level (enough for storage).

There may be a similar reason why they leave the slide controller wired up - if you cut power when the slide is out - it may loose synchronization. But again - I never put the slides out when it's on the storage lot.

If you read my other post - I measured the draw on those two units at .05 amp. So together, they were drawing .1 amps. Little over 2 amps per day. So over a couple of months that could draw down a battery pretty far.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote