Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #1

'17 28.5RSTS bdrm slide wires hanging down

Just brought home a very nice Jayco yesterday. When I opened the bedroom slide, I saw the cable/wire squashed between bottom of the frame of the slide and the wall it goes up against. I pulled it in about halfway and figure the wiring needed a couple of plastic looms to hold it up. Well, I went to the hardware store and installed them.

The first time I opened it up, pressure from the slide opening pulled on to them out. I messed around trying various locations, but never got it right. Then I noticed a stretch band thing keeping tension on it. This making no sense to me and I'm at the end of my rope trying to figure out how to keep the wires from hanging down when the slide is retracted.

I did a search but came up empty. Maybe I wasn't using the right terms as I remember in a thread about problems and someone mentioned it. But did not see a remedy. So, any is appreciated.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:54 PM   #2

I have the same problem on my 2018 29.5 bhds. I just run the slide almost all the way out then tuck the wires up and then put it all the way out. This post reminded me I was going to find a way to fix that this winter. Just added it to my list.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:21 AM   #3

Pictures would help. I have no exposed wires below my bedroom slide.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #4

I have a brand new 2020 30.5 CKTS with a bedroom slide. There is the elastic stretch cord that keeps tension on the wiring harness so it does not hang down. My issue is that the stretch cord is so tight that it is pinching the harness where it goes through the floor up into the slide. I had a difficult time relieving some of the pressure on the harness. I assume the stretch cord you found on yours may need to be replaced or adjusted so it keeps tension on the harness to prevent it from hanging down. It sounds to me that maybe your cord no longer has the correct amount of stretch. I would replace it.
Remember that with the Schwintek slides it is not a good idea to stop the motor mid-cycle when extending or retracting the slide. If your doing that, you will cause the motors on each side to get out of sync and you will have issues as a result. If you are not familiar with the Schwintek system, research it on the Lippert website and watch some of the YouTube videos that are very helpful.
I don't think it will be that hard for you to correct the issue you are having with the wiring harness, and you'll be glad you did.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
I have a brand new 2020 30.5 CKTS with a bedroom slide. There is the elastic stretch cord that keeps tension on the wiring harness so it does not hang down. My issue is that the stretch cord is so tight that it is pinching the harness where it goes through the floor up into the slide. I had a difficult time relieving some of the pressure on the harness. I assume the stretch cord you found on yours may need to be replaced or adjusted so it keeps tension on the harness to prevent it from hanging down. It sounds to me that maybe your cord no longer has the correct amount of stretch. I would replace it.
Remember that with the Schwintek slides it is not a good idea to stop the motor mid-cycle when extending or retracting the slide. If your doing that, you will cause the motors on each side to get out of sync and you will have issues as a result. If you are not familiar with the Schwintek system, research it on the Lippert website and watch some of the YouTube videos that are very helpful.
I don't think it will be that hard for you to correct the issue you are having with the wiring harness, and you'll be glad you did.
The Wildcat I traded had the same exact slide and never any problem like this. Like you say, that elastic cord is SUPER tight when retracted. Although it is not doing its job pulling the wires taught when it is extended for whatever reason. It seems that it loosens up when the slide is retracted. I will go out and mess with it some more today. Thanks for the tip on not extending it completely. I did that a couple times yesterday trying to figure out where the wire is getting loose, but so far so good. I won't be doing that any more.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #6

I finally got around to looking into this. What I ended up doing was using a piece of eternabond tape to hold the wires up near the hole where they go into the slide. It looked like when the slide was put out the tension came off the stretch band and allowed it to sag. Operated the slide several times and no longer had the problem. BTW I put the tape on when the slide was fully retracted
Attached Thumbnails
20200302_120033.jpg  
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
I finally got around to looking into this. What I ended up doing was using a piece of eternabond tape to hold the wires up near the hole where they go into the slide. It looked like when the slide was put out the tension came off the stretch band and allowed it to sag. Operated the slide several times and no longer had the problem. BTW I put the tape on when the slide was fully retracted
Thanks for the reply, I had about given up on it. I may give that a try.