Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: BAYTOWN
Posts: 11
Smile 1st RV purchase - Jayco Eagle 5th Wheel

Buying our first RV and decided on 5th wheel, and narrowed down to Jayco brand. We just got back from Elkhart IN and toured several manufacturers. Jayco quality and process won us over. One of the biggest factors was their use of plywood vs OSB, there were other factors as well.

Here is a list of what we "think" we're wanting:
No longer than a 36' length
Bunkhouse (with door to close off from rest of trailer)
Outdoor kitchen
Fireplace (for use to heat up trailer vs using propane)
Kitchen island (preference but not a deal breaker)
Auto leveler (preference unless manual is not a big deal)
Residential frig? we prefer because we want a larger size
Table/chairs (like the luxury of moving chairs around)

There is basically 1 model that fits the above "wants" (29.5 BHOK) it just doesn't have the kitchen island. I believe it's 36' Have only looked at this model online via 360 virtual tour. My concern is limited counter space in kitchen since no island.

Model #2 that we really like better is (325 BHQS) BUT it is a 38' footer.


Here's a couple questions for you veterans:

1. Best place to buy? The only Jayco authorized dealer in Houston,TX area is Lone Star RV and their reviews aren't the best. We went on RV Trader and there are models we're interested in but not at Lone Star. Lone Star only has the 29.5 BHOK model. We're concerned if you don't buy from them and then try to use them for service, you get redheaded step child treatment. SO, maybe the REAL question is, how to find best authorized warranty service department (possibly an independent that's not a dealership) if you don't buy locally?

2. Best time to buy? We're trying to get a great deal on a 2018 new model and possibly thinking of buying December 2018 or January 2019?

3. In regards to length of trailer, there is SO much conversations out there it's overwhelming. I think most people concur that actually PULLING it down the road there is no difference. It's the pulling in/out of places AND more importantly trying to get the larger spaces at State or National parks can be a problem. Our main travels plans are State and National parks. Is there really a problem getting into most parks with a 36' or 38' 5ther? Or can this be solved by staying at a private park close by? Not sure of likelihood of finding one close to a national park would be?

4. Our reasoning for the bunkhouse is although 90% of the time we will be traveling along (my hubby and I), we have 3 small dogs and plan on family and friends going on some adventures with us. We want to use the bunkhouse as a "doggie room / storage room" when we don't have others traveling with us. We like the luxury of being able to close off the room to storage/dogs and/or giving privacy to our fellow travelers.

Thanks for any help or input! This is an exciting yet SCARY purchase. And that is truly crazy seeing how the purchase of our new truck Ford F250 Diesel costs MORE than the 5ther will cost (hopefully)!

If our "Ideas" above or "wants" don't seem realistic or you have other suggestions, please chime in! Truly desire input and help from our future Jayco family!
THANK YOU!
__________________

mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: White Oak
Posts: 9
Hayes rv about 200 miles north of you in Longview. They have a good selection and really good to deal with.

Kenny Bryant
__________________

Kennessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 9,018
Congratulations on your first RV (no matter which one you buy) and welcome to the forum.
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescue Eydie (min Schnauzer) & Charley (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS, GY Endurance (E), Days: 102 '15, 90 '16, 80 '17, 161 '18
2006 Ford F350 PSD, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, Cmpr. pkg, Equal-i-zer 4-p, Continental ContiTrac TR
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gilmer, Texas
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennessa View Post
Hayes rv about 200 miles north of you in Longview. They have a good selection and really good to deal with.

Kenny Bryant
Great dealership. They actually do a " make ready " on your trailer resolving a lot of potential problems.
__________________
S.A.Young
2011 321RLTS
2012 Chevy duramax dually
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: BAYTOWN
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Great dealership. They actually do a " make ready " on your trailer resolving a lot of potential problems.
Does “make ready” mean the dealership has a policy that they do an overall inspection upon arrival of all new RV’s to ensure everything checks out and no damages from trip down from IN? I’ve read online about importance of choosing a good dealership and this is one of the MAJOR points of what separates an outstanding dealership to others. Some dealerships just give new units a wash down and no inspections. Just want to move product.

I believe it’s worth the drive when it comes to things like this. However, my concern is buying so far from home and when small warranty type jobs come up having to travel there for warranty work. Local dealerships won’t care about me cause I didn’t buy from them. Your thoughts?
One no advantage I do have though is my hubby is very handy and can fix almost anything so maybe the answer is to fix small stuff ourselves??
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: BAYTOWN
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Congratulations on your first RV (no matter which one you buy) and welcome to the forum.
Thank you. I’ve been reading all the new posts that I can. I love this forum. So much wealth of knowledge. I’m one that prefers to learn from others to help minimize our own mistakes or potential problems
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:40 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim Smyth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central Florida & S Central Wisconsin
Posts: 109
They are all supposedly to go through the New RVs to check everything out. Its only as good as the person doing it and if they really give a hoot. Sometimes its kids that really dont care.



Quality on RVs today is average at best. I have a 2017 28.5 and find things wrong almost every trip. I am hoping some day it slows down but I just got home a few days back with one of the dining room lights hanging by the wires where is broke the whole metal hosing. Took a few hours to fix correctly.



I am one of those guys like your husband and can fix anything so no worries there. I bought mine used so I have no warranty. IMO its best to take care of the little stuff yourself and take it in for bigger warranty items since it seems to have to sit there for long intervals and the stories you read is it usually comes home with more things wrong.


Whatever model you decide on I would really check that model out in detail. There is specific models that seem to keep having cracks and de-lamination problems. Those I would avoid at all costs because your talking major money and repairs with the factory usually needing to peel the trailer back to fix it correctly. Also big time slide issues for specific models.



Your on the right track with your questions and the above dealer you have been given I have read nothing but good comments about and they seem top notch. If there only a few hundred miles away I wouldnt hesitate to use them. You are right about other dealers not servicing your unit if you didnt buy it from them. I ran into that right away with our first unit a Rockwood. We bought it online and at 1300 miles from our house and had it delivered and saved a bunch of money. But the local dealer in that brand wouldnt work on it and I will never use them again for anything ever.



One thing I havent seen you touch on yet and is very important if what your going to pull this with. Just make sure you get more truck than you need if you dont already own the truck. That was a big mistake I made.
__________________
2018 Ford F350 6.7
2017 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: BAYTOWN
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
They are all supposedly to go through the New RVs to check everything out. Its only as good as the person doing it and if they really give a hoot. Sometimes its kids that really dont care.



Quality on RVs today is average at best. I have a 2017 28.5 and find things wrong almost every trip. I am hoping some day it slows down but I just got home a few days back with one of the dining room lights hanging by the wires where is broke the whole metal hosing. Took a few hours to fix correctly.



I am one of those guys like your husband and can fix anything so no worries there. I bought mine used so I have no warranty. IMO its best to take care of the little stuff yourself and take it in for bigger warranty items since it seems to have to sit there for long intervals and the stories you read is it usually comes home with more things wrong.


Whatever model you decide on I would really check that model out in detail. There is specific models that seem to keep having cracks and de-lamination problems. Those I would avoid at all costs because your talking major money and repairs with the factory usually needing to peel the trailer back to fix it correctly. Also big time slide issues for specific models.



Your on the right track with your questions and the above dealer you have been given I have read nothing but good comments about and they seem top notch. If there only a few hundred miles away I wouldnt hesitate to use them. You are right about other dealers not servicing your unit if you didnt buy it from them. I ran into that right away with our first unit a Rockwood. We bought it online and at 1300 miles from our house and had it delivered and saved a bunch of money. But the local dealer in that brand wouldnt work on it and I will never use them again for anything ever.



One thing I havent seen you touch on yet and is very important if what your going to pull this with. Just make sure you get more truck than you need if you dont already own the truck. That was a big mistake I made.
Thank you for your input. Can you tell me Best place to find out models with problems?
Also can you elaborate on purchasing online and having it delivered and how you saved a lot of money? Would this work if you’re buying last years model (2018) basically what’s left on lots now that 2019 models are out?
My concern about not buying direct from a good dealership is warranty work. So buying online worries me for that reason.
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jim Smyth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central Florida & S Central Wisconsin
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
Thank you for your input. Can you tell me Best place to find out models with problems?
Also can you elaborate on purchasing online and having it delivered and how you saved a lot of money? Would this work if you’re buying last years model (2018) basically what’s left on lots now that 2019 models are out?
My concern about not buying direct from a good dealership is warranty work. So buying online worries me for that reason.

I bought from Wana RV in Shipshawana Indiana. They are right next to the manufacturer thus saving over a grand in the shipping charge alone. I bought a current year model (2018 Rockwood that we traded in to go bigger) and had them deliver it from Indiana to Florida (2K delivery charge) and I still saved 5K from the cheapest Florida dealer on the same exact model on a 35K purchase.



I used this to find what I wanted 5th wheel wise.


https://www.rvtrader.com/


I would say find the exact 5th wheel you want. Then start reading and do searches on that model. Right here on this forum has tons of info. This will give you your best odds but its going to take leg work on your part.
__________________
2018 Ford F350 6.7
2017 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: BAYTOWN
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I bought from Wana RV in Shipshawana Indiana. They are right next to the manufacturer thus saving over a grand in the shipping charge alone. I bought a current year model (2018 Rockwood that we traded in to go bigger) and had them deliver it from Indiana to Florida (2K delivery charge) and I still saved 5K from the cheapest Florida dealer on the same exact model on a 35K purchase.



I used this to find what I wanted 5th wheel wise.


https://www.rvtrader.com/


I would say find the exact 5th wheel you want. Then start reading and do searches on that model. Right here on this forum has tons of info. This will give you your best odds but its going to take leg work on your part.
Where do you have your unit serviced since you bought thousands of miles away? Have you had any issues finding someone that does a good job even though you didn't buy from them?
We did the RV tour and so I know exactly where you purchased your unit, that is definitely RV capital of the world! We did ask our Jayco RV tour guide about buying from a "local" dealership to save on delivery fees, and he said he didn't know anything about it, we'd have to check into it ourselves. So, you're experience tells us yes it is probable. Can you expand on the process? I'm wondering if we can get a 2019 model for a price CLOSE to the same 2018 model by doing this process vs buying from local dealership.
__________________

mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.