Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

2010 converter problem solved

After a trip on Wisconsin 27 and US 61 SE of LaCrosse (about 30 miles of very rough road) in our 31.5 RLDS this past weekend, we arose Tuesday morning to nearly drained batteries and slides that would barely move. This problem had occurred once before right after we picked up the trailer in 2010, and was fixed under warranty. Testing the converter by removing the negative battery cable showed no power being generated. I contacted Jayco customer service and was advised that the converter would be found in the cabinet containing the power distribution center. It was not there. At my wife's suggestion, I joined the forum and did a search, which lead to threads suggesting that the converter might be behind the back panel of the baggage compartment. After unloading the compartment and removing the panel, I found the converter right where the forum members had said it would be. The trailer was on shore power so we could run a battery charger, and as I reached to test output with my meter, I lightly brushed against the converter power cord, which caused the unit to come on! The converter plugged into a single 20A-125volt outlet, and appeared to be solidly connected - however, the slightest movement of the cord caused the converter to go on and off. After testing the converter with an extension cord, we determined that the female plug in the trailer was not gripping the plug tightly. We were camped not far from a hardware store, so after a quick trip and an expenditure of about $6, I hardwired the converter to the AC power supply. If the converter ever has to be replaced, it will take perhaps 10 minutes longer to do than with the stock set-up, but we shouldn't have to worry about a loose plug again.

Thanks to the Jayco forum members for their suggestions!

Chuck
Chuck Hovonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good troubleshooting. Glad you found the issue.

Happy camping,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #3

Nice work!
Name:  imagesCASTHVX9.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  5.7 KB
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote