Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2022, 09:11 PM   #1

2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS

Hello group!! My name is Gary Welbon in Huntingdon,Tn. I bought this 2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS in January of this year. I'm getting it ready for the long trips. I have a 13000 watt dual fuel generator that I'm going to mount on a pullout rear under bumper tray. My issue is that I can't find any info on this tray - i.e. is it factory or an aftermarket? If it's factory, how much weight can it hold? This genny is probably 350-400 pounds plus 2 small LP tanks. My questions are 1) does anyone have one of these 5th wheelers, 2) does yours have this tray? 3) does anyone know how much weight it can hold? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks to everyone for the help!
Garywelbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:49 AM   #2

Welcome Gary!
The rear of a trailer is the bouncy-est, rough-est riding place to mount things. People have issues even with light weight bikes mounted in the rear. (me included, carrier weld broke, dragged bikes down the road for 1/4 mile). I'm not familiar with the tray you intend on mounting it to. Be very careful putting 400# plus 40 pounds of LP back there. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't do it.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:43 AM   #3

X2 - don't, carry it inside the camper, or your truck
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:55 AM   #4

Most of those pullout rear carriers are limited to 250 lbs. At least the two I had were.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #5

I can't find any info on it. I'll look at it further. Thanks for your info!
Old 07-09-2022, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywelbon View Post
I can't find any info on it. I'll look at it further. Thanks for your info!
is your rear tray mounted to the hitch, bumper or frame? If it is solidly mounted (welded) to the trailer frame, as most folding trays are, you should be good for 300 lbs. I have a 2nd generation home built version welded to the frame on my 19 321 RSTS and have carried about 250 lbs. for the last 2.5 years with no issues.. Other than dragging on steep driveways
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:13 PM   #7
Site Team

I have the exact same year and model with the same optional carrier. There have been several reports that I know of indicating that the carrier can break. The problem is not where it attaches but rather the square horizontal bars that telescope into the larger one when it is not used and slipped under the rig. I took mine off a few years back and had a welding shop add some smore steel supports in that area. Anything attached to the rear of a trailer will get a lot of stress as you can read on this or most other camping forums.

I carry 2 bikes and would not carry anything heavier without having 2 standard frame attached receivers to attach any type of carrier, especially a generator. I will try and locate and post this thread.

BTW, this is a great floor plan and a big seller for Jayco until they discontinued it in 2012 or 2013. Ours has been and still is providing us a virtually trouble free experience since new.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #8

From someone who has lost something back there I would recommend not putting much weight on that hitch, not only the weigh on the bumper itself but the added strain on the axles and other components whiling traveling down the Highway .
Old 07-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #9

Thanks to all that took the time to respond to my posting. I will re-examine my options on this. I'll post what I come up with at a later date. Thanks again to all!