Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #1

2011 vs 2012 Changes

I read on another forum that Jayco has changed the content of the 2012 Jayco Eagle. One of the items was the stainless sink gone for another plastic type material. The one time torgue lug nuts for many torgue lug nuts. Changed out the Corian counter tops for another type of surface.
It's the elimination of items like this that make some of the things I didn't like but was willing to overlook make me wonder all over again.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
I read on another forum that Jayco has changed the content of the 2012 Jayco Eagle. One of the items was the stainless sink gone for another plastic type material. The one time torgue lug nuts for many torgue lug nuts. Changed out the Corian counter tops for another type of surface.
It's the elimination of items like this that make some of the things I didn't like but was willing to overlook make me wonder all over again.
Don't believe everything you hear on the internet!

There are many very good changes to the 2012 Eagle.

They are going to a "Stonecast Kitchen Sink", that doesn't sound like plastic to me. Not sure what you mean about the lug nuts. Counter tops are the same, different colour.

A few additions: New front cap (looks like Pinacle), battery disconnect in battery compartment, step light, TV bracket in basement, digital thermostat, keyless entry option, etc

The bedroom looks very similar to the Pinacle also.

The 2012 is BETTER in many ways!

Call a Jayco dealer and they can give you a list of the upgrades.

Look at these pictures. It's the first 2012 I could find on the net.

http://www.harpercamperland.com/Inve...E-351RLTS.aspx

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Looking at the pics and comparing it to my 2011, I do not see any major differences. I prefer the 2011 colors. It is a great floorplan.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #4

Where are you guys finding this info?
Old 06-18-2011, 02:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Where are you guys finding this info?
From a Jayco dealer.

Also, if you build one on rvdirect it has the 2012 options listed.

I should be getting my 2012 next week.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #6

The 11 and 12 both look like awesome trailers to me. I do like a stainless sink, but from the photos posted above, even tho the counter tops may not be Corian brand, they are the same type of stuff from a different manufacturer. On the positive side, the bedroom storage is much improved. Besides a larger closet with upper and lower hanger bars (twice the hanging capacity) and deeper shelves, you also gain two bookcase type shelve units over the window with space for the TV in between, which leaves a more accessible two door cabinet where the TV was in the old Eagle.

It also looks like the baggage doors are slam type with air struts. An improvement in my opinion. Also, what's not to like about a digital thermostat?

I don't have much of an opinion about Torque and Go, lug nuts. I suppose they would be a positive.

Anyway, I am sure am looking forward to seeing mine. Should be in around mid July.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #7

I've been surfing the dealers but what few details I've found are a bit sketchy. This site I found has a fair number of photos:

http://www.ricksrv.com/rv/Jayco/Trav..._Eagle_330RLTS

Here's another one:

http://www.camperlandok.com/rv/jayco...ERIES_330_RLTS

I know these are for a TT and this is the fiver forum but they will give an idea of some of the changes and the sites may have similar photos for the fivers.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #8

Interesting

Thanks for the responses - It doesn't sound like the changes are as negative as I was lead to believe. I'm not the type to take what someone tells me as gospel, I'm usually the researcher who checks everything to death.
But found out some good info from the responses, good information. Thanks
Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #9

Here's a link to Stonecast Kitchen Sinks.

http://rv-sinks.com/Product-Overview.php

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwiss View Post
Here's a link to Stonecast Kitchen Sinks.

http://rv-sinks.com/Product-Overview.php
Thanks for the link. I was going nutz trying to find out anything about them.

I had to laugh at their comparison chart. Stainless rated only medium for heat resistance and cleanability while resin rated excellent? Puh-leeze! This isn't to say Stonecast isn't any good; my bathroom cultured marble sink has an acrylic surface and, after 15 years, still looks new.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3275 View Post
...They are going to a "Stonecast Kitchen Sink", that doesn't sound like plastic to me...
Per the site dzwiss provided the link to, Stonecast is plastic, probably a high quality one.

What I'm curious to know, where did you find out that the new sinks are Stonecast? I've been unable to find a reference to it, so far. A link or two would be helpful.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Per the site dzwiss provided the link to, Stonecast is plastic, probably a high quality one.

What I'm curious to know, where did you find out that the new sinks are Stonecast? I've been unable to find a reference to it, so far. A link or two would be helpful.
It is NOT plastic.

It says on the manufacturers web site, "Our sinks are not plastic or fiberglass; they are made from a polyester resin, and are compression-molded, designed for strength and durability."

I have a sheet of all the changes to the 2012 Eagle. I got it from the dealer. Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
CCI00000.jpg   CCI00001.jpg  

Old 06-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3275 View Post
It is NOT plastic.

It says on the manufacturers web site, "Our sinks are not plastic or fiberglass; they are made from a polyester resin, and are compression-molded, designed for strength and durability."

I have a sheet of all the changes to the 2012 Eagle. I got it from the dealer. Here it is:
Ok, let's not get into an argument over semantics here. And I did read their website.

First, thank you for the list of changes. I wonder why they dropped the Torque and Go nuts? Were they a failure? Are they replacing them with something better? Is it just a cost cutting measure?

Plastic is a catch all word to cover a wide range of chemically created (usually from petroleum) materials but, because of a poor past history and inappropriate usage of the materials, it is often associated with cheap materials. Not all plastics are cheap or poor quality. Try pricing Corian (also a plastic) sometime. There is no denying that Corian is a higher quality than high pressure laminate surfaces (laminate countertopping is another plastic based material) and most high pressure laminates are anything but cheap. Any resin based substance technically is a plastic, no matter the quality. If you read my other posts, you should see that I have said plastics are not necessarily all bad and are often good.

One thing I find interesting about the manufacturer's statement that their products are not fiberglass but are made from polyester resin. Most substances people call fiberglass are made from glass fiber reinforced polyester resin (epoxy resin is occasionally used on small items; it's too expensive in large quantites). The glass fiber reinforces the resin. It would thus seem that the unreinforced resin would be inferior to fiberglass.

However, many factors can come into play, such as the quality of the resin used, the thickness of the final product, and how the product is made, so it is quite possible for an unreinforced product to be superior to a reinforced one (although, being from Missouri, I wouldn't bet the farm on it).

Only time will tell if the Stonecast sink is actually better than stainless steel or not. However, I feel that the manufacturer's marketing deppartment's spin doctors must be downright dizzy after the spin they put on their products. I still question that polyester resin can have more heat resistance than stainless steel.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #14

Great Post

Lots of good info here, I was wondering if the the "removal" of the Torque Lug Nuts was a move prompted by the "Company Lawyers". I have seen it so many times in the past that actions were dictated by "Liability Hounds". One word can give cause to a healthy legal case.

But anyhow - most of the changes that I read on the company + & - sheets that someone scanned and posted were good ones.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Site Team

Here is a link to the torq n go lugnuts. http://www.easternmarine.com/DEXTER-...ck-1/2-Thread/

Could be just a cost cutting measure by Jayco. My 2011 has them and I would think they would be a asset, although expensive, on a towed trailer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Lots of good info here, I was wondering if the the "removal" of the Torque Lug Nuts was a move prompted by the "Company Lawyers". I have seen it so many times in the past that actions were dictated by "Liability Hounds". One word can give cause to a healthy legal case...
Good point. They did say deleted, not discontinued.

Quote:
...But anyhow - most of the changes that I read on the company + & - sheets that someone scanned and posted were good ones.
I agree. The big improvement I've seen is the Glacier Package is now available for the Eagle TTs. That one is huge! Of course, I've yet to see just what the Glacier Package is for the TT but any change is better than what there used to be. The specs show the main trailer roof as being R7 but hopefully that will be upped by the Glacier Package to the R22 claimed for '11 (that is a curious issue since the brochures contradict themselves and, even though a sales rep said it is R22, I found other things he said to be inaccurate so, being from Missouri, I want more concrete info, preferably from someone who actually works on them). I'm hoping they will also up the R value for the walls and floor like they have been doing for the fivers.

Another change I feel is an improvement is the flooring. The flooring for the '11 330RLTS is a dark plank pattern. It's very attractive but dust shows up pretty quickly. The '12 pattern is a lighter colored, ersatz tile pattern that will not show dust nearly as quickly. It's not quite as attractive but will be far less work to maintain (and I'm supposed to be retired!).

A possible improvement has to do with that silly divided kitchen drawer for cutlery. The divisions are too narrow and deep to be of any real use to me. Most of the descriptions I've read say it still comes with the divided drawer but one photo I found with all the drawers opened stairstep style has no dividers in any of the drawers. I'm hoping the description is a carryover from last year and the dividers are, indeed, gone.

Of course, I'm a bit concerned about the new kitchen sink, especially since it has a weird shape to it that would make replacing it with a stainless one a bugger. Rerouting out the opening to a larger size would be rough because of the idiot "bulge" on the left side of the sink lines up with the faucet holes. One would have to go much larger and relocate the faucet much closer to wall to get around that problem; the question is would there be enough room to do that? If not, the whole countertop would have to be replaced, along with the one by the stove if a close enough match couldn't be found by then. Hopefully, the new sink will live up to its claims. I'm not going to worry about unless it actually proves to be a problem.

I don't like the way the cabinet doors are being made now as much as the ones in the '11s. The inner profile in the rails and stiles is not as detailed and there is no accent color in those areas (the accent color gives the profile the appearance of more depth and increases visual texture). The new doors are still attractive but I feel Jayco took a step back when they did that (of course, the new style is less espensive to mass produce). Part of my problem with the change is I used to be a cabinet maker so I'm sensitive to those kinds of details; I'm sure most people will never see the difference. Another reason for my concern is if I should need to make a matching custom sized cabinet door (a real possibility since I plan on making major mods), duplicating the simpler profile will actually be harder for me with the tools I have. Oh well.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #17

I was talking to the friend I was staying with about the new Stonecast sinks and she said the dental office she works in gets things that are made from a similar, if not the same, material and it is considerably denser than non-pressure cured resin so it may be that the sink is as durable a stainless steel (although I'm still not buying that it is more heat resistant!).

My stay here in San Marcos, CA, has been extended to at least Wednesday morning. I might take the scenic route home through Prescott and stop at the Jayco dealer there. The three closest dealers to where I'm at now don't have any 2012 Eagles in right now but Prescott has a Pinnacle.