Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

Is there a follow button? I just want to hear how this goes. Good info.

King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

Follow Options

I believe that you an subscribe to the post and receive emails. Please note that this problem will probably not be covered by any warranty. I am just trying to find out the specifications for the springs.

Max Tow Package 1895 lb Payload Capacity
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #13

Update

Had to wait through the holidays for everyone to return to work. I received a response from Dexter regarding the springs. The original springs were 2200 lb capacity and 26" long and 1.75" wide. Dexter indicated that I could go up to 2500 lb springs if I wanted the upgrade, which I did.

Ordered the springs and the Mor/ryde heavy duty shackle kit. Jacked and braced the trailer and removed the first spring. I laid the old spring over the new spring. The original spring was 3/4" shorter than the new spring. I checked the new spring and it was exactly 26" from center to center of the eyes. The old spring was 25 1/4" center to center and much flatter than the new spring. I thought that when the spring flattens out it would get longer. It has the original Dexter stamp on the back of the old spring.

I installed the first set of springs, which was very easy and although the springs are about in total an inch and a half longer than the springs I replaced, everything seemed to fit. The only concern I have is that the spring eyes and shackles adjacent to the CRE 3000 equalizer are very close to the equalizer (less than 1/4").

I have contacted Jayco to see if that installed shorter springs after they took delivery of the frames to accommodate the CRE 3000 system.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 101 View Post
Had to wait through the holidays for everyone to return to work. I received a response from Dexter regarding the springs. The original springs were 2200 lb capacity and 26" long and 1.75" wide. Dexter indicated that I could go up to 2500 lb springs if I wanted the upgrade, which I did.

Ordered the springs and the Mor/ryde heavy duty shackle kit. Jacked and braced the trailer and removed the first spring. I laid the old spring over the new spring. The original spring was 3/4" shorter than the new spring. I checked the new spring and it was exactly 26" from center to center of the eyes. The old spring was 25 1/4" center to center and much flatter than the new spring. I thought that when the spring flattens out it would get longer. It has the original Dexter stamp on the back of the old spring.

I installed the first set of springs, which was very easy and although the springs are about in total an inch and a half longer than the springs I replaced, everything seemed to fit. The only concern I have is that the spring eyes and shackles adjacent to the CRE 3000 equalizer are very close to the equalizer (less than 1/4").

I have contacted Jayco to see if that installed shorter springs after they took delivery of the frames to accommodate the CRE 3000 system.
Did you also get the wet bolt kit? Every one I've seen also comes with heavier shackles as well as the greasable bolts and new, bronze bushings. If you did =not= then you =should=. :-)

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #15

Update

Called Dexter (frame and axle manufacturer) and questioned the length of the springs on our fifth wheel. The specification that Dexter previously provided specifies 1.75 x 26", double eye, 2200# (see attached). When I questioned this size today, I was told that then measure the length of the spring with the capacity load on it and that causes the spring to elongate to 26", but the unloaded weight is 25 1/4". Nowhere in the specifications does it mention that the dimensions are calculated under a load. All of the sources for new springs measure by the unloaded length from the center of the eyes. Now I have to arrange the return of the springs and purchase new springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Specifications.JPG   Specifications 2.JPG  
Old 01-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #16

Update

Reordered springs that fit this time. Installed along with Mor/Ryde heavy duty shackles and wet bolts. Surprisingly, it did not make much if any difference in my wheel well clearance. I upgraded to 2400# from the stock 2200# leaf springs.

I just ordered progressive urethane bump stops to prevent the wheels from bottoming out in the wells.

Everyone is thinking I am overloaded, well, I have not taken the rig to the scales, but my tanks are empty, as well as all of the closets and drawers, with the exception of the kitchen, my set-up equipment and a few folding chairs under the bed and a few other things. I can't imagine that there is more than 500# of stuff in there right now, well short of the 3300# capacity. If it ever stops raining for more than a day, I will totally unload the rig to see if that changes the clearance.