Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to BC CANUCK
2015 Pinnacle door lock problem

Anyone with a 2015 Pinnacle that has had a problem with the Bauer Door Kock. I live in Claresholm AB and noticed a new Pinnacle in our RV park so I went over to say hello to the owner as I have exactly the same unit. Turns out that he and his wife had locked themselves out of the unit and had left their keys inside. We tried to unlock the key pad but no go. I went home and got the sheet from my warranty info but we could not get it to open. It happens that I have read his comments on our forum and he goes by the sign in "68 Camaro". We called Coachnet and he is waiting for a locksmith to arrive. He is stuck, any suggestions?????. Thanks.
BC CANUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #2

We had the same problem and all my wife did was touch the keypad. Luckily we have a rear door so I got in. The very next thing I did was pull the batteries, BAUER electronic locks are "JUNK"
Old 06-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #3

I agree that it is not a very good lock. I never trusted it on my unit and now I never use it. On my 2012 Pinnacle it was great and we used it all the time without any problem but it was a different setup.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #4

Well, all done, once again BC Canuck, thanks for your time and help. If you hadn't had your Bauer lock sheet, I wouldn't have had the number for Coachnet, cause my books where in the coach. So if you want to stop by anytime tonight and have a look at our sectional, your more than welcome. The locksmith was 5 minutes. So, note to self, never leave coach without keys, not the easiest note for me lol, and never trust the Bauer door lock, it is doing the same thing again, will function fine when door is wide open, when I close the door, it will lock but not open. I think Grumpy has the exact solution, remove the batteries.

2015 Pinnacle 36REQS
2010 F-350 Harley Davidson 6.4L Powerstroke
Short Box Crewcab
6" Procomp Suspension Lift & 35" M/T Toyo Tires
Doug & Nikki, 2 fur babies
Murphy & Chloe are Shar Pei
68 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #5

Doug, glad you are up and running. Will drop over later. Ian Robertson.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

I just got locked out last week. The keyless entry has never worked from day one. Ended up having to call a locksmith and after $150 got the door opened. I'm ready to go back to old key lock and get rid of the keyless entry. Seems like a piece of junk.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

Maybe the strike plate is adjusted so tight that it's putting the bolt in a bind when locked. I noticed on ours that we had to push the door closed a little extra to get it to latch fully , I adjusted it just a little and it works fine now.
Hope this makes sense the way I explained it.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #8

We keep a realitor lock box on our 5th wheel so we can get in if the battery's dead .

It work well on our manual locks in our tt when we had multiple people coming and going instead of making a bunch of keys if we were not there they could still get in and out of the weather
Fuldraw2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #9

Jayfowler, is your unit still in the first year, I didn't have to pay for the locksmith, just a quick sign, and on his way with Jayco roadside.

TexasRT, I think you may have it right, I will try the adjustment tomorrow, because it functions fine with door open, it's possible when door is closed, it may be getting into a bind, and won't retract to open. I'm thinking it may not be in the electronics.

Fuldraw, I have the same plan, it wouldn't be very proactive of me now, if I didn't place a backup on the coach somewhere. Unfortunately the second set is 3 hours away at home right now. So the wife is watching me close now.

Thanks guys.

2015 Pinnacle 36REQS
Short Box Crewcab
Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #10

We had a problem right from new with the lock on our 2015, 31 RETS was unlocking but not locking, found that the control wires were pinched during installation, phoned Bauer, they sent new lock set (which was pretty good seeing Jayco screwed up) installed it correctly, working just fine, always have a key accessible for manual operation, if it is electronic it will fail sooner or later
bankedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #11

The electronic Bauer door lock on our 13 Pinnacle gets its power from the house battery and has worked flawlessly for over a year. Did change out the keypad because the backlight did not work.(warranty covered). I have heard the newer self contained locks are not as reliable and they go through batteries pretty quick.
good luck on getting yours to function.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #12

You would hope to think ,that it would work with being a 2015
We have a 2015 pinnical 36rsqs the convection/microwave has had the light come on by its self the first time we used it
Then last week I brought it home from the storage lot and the fan was on in the morning
All by itself and all we did was plug it in and finish stocking it for our 2 week trip coming up
Hope no other issues with it since it won't see our state until July 3
Fuldraw2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #13

We had problems documented before with the Bauer keyless entry. Actually failed in the locked position and we were locked inside. Had to completely dismantle the lock to get out. Bauer and Jayco both sent new locks. I might add these are battery operated and we are on our third set of batteries in less than two years. We do use our unit every month however. It has just now failed again, so your post is timely. Last time it failed, it just lost the code. I reprogrammed it and it worked fine for the last couple of months. Still lights up and beeps so I'm wondering if it has lost its program again. Going to go out when it is under 90 degrees this evening and see if it will reprogram. 99 degrees outside right now so I'm staying inside!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #14

Mine has not worked correctly since I bought it. Keeps losing programming. No longer use it. I make sure I have the keys always.
Curt Q20 Hitch. Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Air bags. Airlift Wireless One compressor.
cgbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #15

Well, I managed to just re align the deadbolt, so it seems to be up and running. The wife is a little nervous about me forgetting the keys inside unit again, until we get the second set of keys planted on unit, oh well, just was so glad we had the Jayco roadside to get us out of the bind the other day. As for our unit, everything else is running just fine, we have about 20 nights in the unit and don't have anything on our warranty list yet. Happy camping everyone, Cheers

2015 Pinnacle 36REQS
Short Box Crewcab
Old 06-18-2015, 05:48 AM   #16

Well, ours had just lost the programming, again! I re-programmed it and it seems to be working fine now. Not sure why that happens. I have a new lock still in the box so may put it on later. That will be my third one. We do keep second set of keys with wife so one of us always has the keys. First time the lock failed, even key would not work an we had to dismantle lock to get outside. It is definitely not very dependable.

Joe Hinson
Old 06-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #17

I called Bauer this morning about the lock problem I am having. When it works, it will lock, but then not unlock.
I talked to a very nice lady who suggested the following:
1.Open the door and enter the lock code. If the dead bolt extends, push on it with your finger. If it goes back in, it did not fully extend. I tried this, and it did push back in with my finger.
2. She said to make usre there was enough room in the strike plate for the dead bolt to extend into. I did, it was fine.
3. She said to try Energizer batteries, that they seem to work better. (don't know why there would be that much difference between those and Duracell).

I removed the lock assembly from the door and put it on the bench to test it, (with Energizer batteries) I could get it to work fine, both locking and unlocking maybe 4 or 5 times, then it would lock, then not open. I then checked the deadbolt, and it was in a bind inside the unit, and took some effort to "unstick" it. I didn't remove the back plate to see if I could see the problem due to the sticker over one screw that says "Warranty void it broken".
This might explain why someone on here said they got locked inside their unit. With the effort it took to unlock the dead bolt with the knob, there is no way that the motor inside has enough torque to unlatch it when it binds.
Anyway, I called them back after all this, explained what I had done, and they are sending me another lock out by FedEX, along with a return tag for the other lock.
Guess we'll see what happens with the new one. So far, I can't complain about their customer service. (but I would have liked to open that lock to see if i could determine where it is binding)
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #18

jayco 2014rkts

The dealer replaced mine under warranty !!!! Locked myself out too. I crawled in through the emergency exit window that I had left open . Ladder was supplied to me by the camp host
Midtowncampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #19

…………...Locked myself out too.

Yep, I'm still not taking any chances. Got a spare set of keys hidden outside where I can get to them if needed.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #20

The spare set of keys is a good idea in most cases. However, when the motor or deadbolt is locked in a binding position, even the key want turn it to get it unlocked. Believe me, I know. Just about broke the key off!

Joe Hinson