Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2017, 03:20 AM   #1

2015 Pinnacle Water Odor

We only use our Pinnacle about every 3-4 months. Last couple of times the potable water has smelled like sewer or rotten eggs until it gets purged out a lot. Changed the water filter but it looked fine. Anyone with a similar problem or suggestion.?
Jefco
jefco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefco View Post
We only use our Pinnacle about every 3-4 months. Last couple of times the potable water has smelled like sewer or rotten eggs until it gets purged out a lot. Changed the water filter but it looked fine. Anyone with a similar problem or suggestion.?
Jefco
I full time so my fresh tank gets used frequently especially like right now due to freezing weather and my hose/pressure regulator are in the basement.

I have a two stage incoming water filter system consisting of a .5 micron particulate filter as the first stage with a .5 micron charcoal filter as the second. I have never had an odor problem, but you might need to sanitize the tank and then keep the water changed/used frequently to prevent this in the future.

Good luck.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #3

If you only are using the camper every 3-4 months, you should drain the water from the lines and water heater after using it. If you have a water filter, drain it or remove it and place it in a working refrigerator between usage.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #4

Sounds like the water supply you use/used is from a non chlorinated well. The only times we had that happen in 40 years of RVing is when the campground we stayed at last used well water.

Chlorinated water in a sealed system will not sour.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #5

Grumpy
Chlorinated water will loose chlorine sitting in a tank with no movement. It settles out in strands and the rest of the water will have none. Local water lab told me this getting our down island Coast Guard site water tested. That is the reason some large reserve water tanks have a mixer inside. That info was from the State water testing lab.
My FBTS gets the water smell after sitting for a few months. I have to run hot and cold thru all facets for about 5 min to get the smell to go away. I now take a gallon water jug and mix in a little chlorine and add to the tank (sanatize method). Than run thru my lines. This has cut down on the order. My boat and last camper did the same especially the water heater tank.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #6

In the tank, yes.

It does not happen in the water lines as there is no air present. If you leave you house for a month long trip do you drain all your water lines? We left for 6 months, with the water off, and it never affected our house system since we never opened any faucets before leaving.

Edit: All bottled water has a 2 year shelf life, same principal, it's a sealed container
Old 01-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefco View Post
Jefco
Do you ever sanitize your water system? If mine sits that long with water in the lines and tanks and not being used regularly, I sanitize the system. Overkill? Maybe, but I've never had an issue with stinky water or any other fresh water problem.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #8

A sealed airless vessel is different. Our water heaters in Rv's all have an air gap inside just like our water tanks all vent. Anytime I go to my Rv after a week or so and flip on water switch the pump runs to build up pressure again. So there is always some air some where. The park I am full timing in has city water and I will get air in the water, u can here it and see it sometimes showering. This now reminds me that my water tank half full has been sitting for two months. Time to empty fill halfway again and add some bleach. Try to keep half tank in reserve in case park has a problem.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #9

You must treat your fresh water every time while filling your tank. And you must santizie and flush the fresh water system at the beginning of the season. Also completely drain the fresh water system after each trip. Never allow RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank. Drain and flush the water heater regularly too.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #10

And just FYI, there should be complete instructions on "sanitizing" your water system in your owners manual.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote