Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #151

Most of that sounds typical for this system. It is worth noting, though, that the hydraulic Lippert system functions nothing like this crappy electric system. My last coach had it, and would level from more than 4 degrees off. It would easily pick up the whole trailer if asked to. I sincerely hope that Jayco switches to this system, but they won't as long as no one says anything. We need to be flooding them with these failed leveling attempts.

djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #152

Mike... I lifted the front of my rig 1.5 deg out of level (front way high)
Then pressed auto level and it had no problems.
It lowered the front and then carried on.

I don't understand why you have to start nose down

klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Mike... I lifted the front of my rig 1.5 deg out of level (front way high)
Then pressed auto level and it had no problems.
It lowered the front and then carried on.

I don't understand why you have to start nose down
I don't understand either. I've tried with the nose high and it will not work. I wish I was smart enough to create a system that would function as described and see it for a profit, but not to make people going broke to buy it.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #154

I have a question for those of you who own the 36 reqs. I really like this floor plan except for one thing. The kitchen. I has no pantry or a coat closet. Do you find you have enough room for kitchen supply's and food? Need some reviews from real world experience. Thank you
Cgelmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgelmini View Post
I have a question for those of you who own the 36 reqs. I really like this floor plan except for one thing. The kitchen. I has no pantry or a coat closet. Do you find you have enough room for kitchen supply's and food? Need some reviews from real world experience. Thank you
Hi Cgelmini,

We have the Eagle Premier 361REQS which is a very similar floor plan to the Pinnacle 36REQS.

They way my wife packs, I can definitely say we have more then enough room for kitchen supply's and food.

We (aka she) uses one of the wall cabinets next to the fire place for snacks, cereals, etc. In ours, the non-sink peninsula has a large base cabinet good for storing food & supplies. We have found plenty of drawers and cabinet space for pots, pans, dishes, cups, flatware, etc.

As far as coat closet, you're right, there is none. Our solution is to put hooks on the wall just to the left of the door to hang coats in-use. Other spare coats are hung in the front closet.

Hope this was of some help.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgelmini View Post
We have camped 4 times in the 36REQS. So far we've had enough room, but the cabinet / slide next to the garbage can will need some attention this fall. During travel things shift and fall between and sometimes you can't open the drawer, and when you get it open you have to reach the stuff that made it to the floor.
As far as closet space, there are only 2 of us so they get dumped over the kitchen chairs until my DW puts them in the front closet.
Not enough outlets on either side of the TV in the living area and to hook up a Bluray player because the top of the line Pinnacle only has a DVD player is difficult without an extra outlet.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #157

I want to show you guys something. Look at this chart. The system uses 10guage wire from controller to jacks. I estimated a 40 foot run at 12v and 20 amps. The voltage drop is nearly 2 volts so the Jack only sees a little over 10 volts. Consequently the amperage increases as voltage across the line drops, so the controller will see higher amperage due to the voltage drop over the long run of 10guage wire. To run 40 feet (or more possibly) and maintain voltage so as to get more efficiency and lift out of the system (no out of stroke due to over amperage) you need 6 gauge cable. See my next screenshot. If this makes no sense to you, the wire is too small. Needs bigger wire to the rear jacks. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439003902.863096.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	19578
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #158

Here is same calculation with 4guage wire and 12.4 volts (more realistic dual battery voltage). If you give the system 13.8v from your TV electrical system, that's even better. The jacks will see more voltage and the controller less amperage and more headroom and lift prior to out of stroke amp error. Hope this helps put I. Perspective why it peters out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439004086.015142.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	19579
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:35 PM   #159

So, plugging all this into Ohm's law equations reveals that this system has grossly undersized wiring. When the volts go down, there are not enough amps to run the motor under load and it fails. The system calls it an "out of stroke" error, which, according to the motor's "brain", is how it sees it. There are not enough amps to provide lift, just as if the motor had reached the end of its stroke and bottomed out. Interesting. That probably explains why they need the 12.5 volts at the control panel. Due to the voltage drop caused by cheap a** construction, we are probably running the lift motors at the edge of tolerance to begin with, so there is no way to provide the needed amps once they are under load.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #160

I will plug mine back into my TV after I've unhitched this weekend and see if it makes a difference. It makes sense to me that the motor would think it was at the end of stroke with the rise of the amperage sending back to the controller as it lifted and the batteries became weaker.
I guess another question is, with the 10ga wire and sending more "juice" down the line are we just asking for future troubles? In looking at my controller that is in no protected from things in the basement, I am not 100% sure that they are even 10ga. more like 14 or 16ga. They are very small. I will look at it Friday as I build something to protect this from say a chair being put into the basement in the dark by someone other than me that knows the wires are just dangling down there.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS