Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2016, 05:07 AM   #1

2016, Air conditioning insuffiencies

Has anyone with these larger 5thrs added a air conditioner? Don't get me wrong, it works but It isn't keeping the unit cool enough lately. We usually keep ours set at 75 during the day. We didn't noticed it only had one unit when we purchased, you know looking at the big picture. So the problem is during the day between around 2pm and 6pm it won't keep it cooler than 80. It doesn't keep up during the warmest part of the day I guess since the air is coming in cold. Everything closed up such as doors and windows. I would assume another would have to be a stand alone and couldn't be ducted in with the other. I see others have usually two, one center and one front. Would that be the best place to put a second? Just asking since the rear bunk appears a larger area too cool.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #2

Most came with a 2nd a/c option. Surprised your dealer didn't offer the upgrade.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:02 AM   #3

Where are you located and where do you camp? Like Grumpy said, your trailer probably came with a factory option for a 2nd AC. Usually dealers in the south order trailers with the 2nd AC, whereas dealers in cooler climates may or may not order that option.

I have a 29QBS travel trailer that had an option for 50amp and 2 AC's. We live in the Mid Atlantic, so I didn't opt for that feature.

I'm sure you can add a 2nd AC, though it will be more expensive now. Your roof should already be structured for that 2nd unit, but you would either need to upgrade your entire wiring for 50amp, or just add a separate 20amp circuit with a household style plug just for your 2nd AC.

Short of doing that, you can change your environment. In very hot weather, camp in a shaded site. In absurdly hot weather, either skip camping completely or go to a pool/beach/lake during the day.

Reducing heat gain will help a lot too... Get some foam to place in the skylights and vents to help keep cooler air in and heat out. Get something to block the windows of the sunny side of the camper during the heat of the day. Keep the door closed as much as possible.

Keep a small fan in the camper for when it gets warmer. Cold drinks help too.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #4

Hi, we stay in South Tampa area, guess as temps are rising we are noticing the unit runs all the time and can't get below 80 till the sun goes down. It may help as you said to shade the vent holes. I'm hoping wiring is up there already. Wife has been on me about fixing it, so you know who will win. I can deal with it. I've been in tents before. *LOL* I wish I new about a upgrade before I purchased it. You know what closing day is like. I felt like I went 12 rounds with Iron Mike!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #5

Our dealer strongly urged us to get the second air conditioner when we ordered our unit. He was right. When we only have 30 A service (can only run one of the air conditioners) in hot weather we cannot get the trailer very cool. With 50 A service and both air conditioners it stays very comfortable.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #6

Shadester, Yes you can add a 2nd A/C unit. We had one added to our 36FBTS for the same reasons you have stated. Our unit was on the dealer's lot otherwise we would have ordered it with the 2nd one. Our dealer installed it and the cost was basically the same as the option. I'm sure your unit is already pre-wired and all the installer has to do is run the thermostat wire to wherever you want it. Ours went in place of the vent over the bed and is tied into the ductwork with the original unit-just as Jayco would have installed it- all you see is the louvered cover and the louvers can be opened or closed. Some of the units with the front living room have a third unit added to keep them cool.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:20 AM   #7

That sounds like good news. Putting in storage friday but want all the issues we have completed to start a fresh season. So when I finally get a date for repairs and approvals, Hopefully they can add. Also considering adding slide toppers. I don't having a problem paying for wants.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #8

You're going to need 2 and the front is pre-wired for it already it should drop right in the vent.

Due to my front cap being brown the front BR can get pretty hot during the day so I open the closet doors and run both. During the night only the main is going and it keeps it comfortable with limited noise.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #9

Ours also came prepped for 2nd air. I did the install myself. The hardest part was getting the unit on the roof, otherwise it was straigh forward once I figured out where the thermostat wires were located. The front unit is loud in the front br.

A temporary work around is to close some slides to reduce area to be cooled and loss through side slide windows. A fan in the br also can help along with adjusting vents.
Luvthenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #10

I am installing the new 2nd AC unit overt the front bedroom in our 2015 Jayco 345BHTS. Pretty slick so far, unit went in easy in the skylight opening and all of the wiring (thermostat and #12 AWG AC cable) is there as promised by Jayco. Does anyone have any idea where Mr. Jayco hid the end of the thermostat wire? Jayco told me to look next to the light fixture, and thats a no-go.

The wire starts at the AC unit and heads to the starboard side via the overhead. Anyone have any thoughts? Many thanks if you do.

Alan
Old 05-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #11

I'd pull light switches to see if it's near by one of them.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #12

Thanks. I'm on a mission tomorrow. I have to believe it is easy to find. I was looking for a loose wire today, tomorrow I look for one taped to a switch or outlet wire.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:11 PM   #13

It may just be hanging loose in the wall near the switch.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #14

Mine was near the slide out switch. With the second A/C, I can get that baby down to meat locker temperature even in the hottest Orlando has to offer!
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #15

looking at your floorplan it is possible you might access it by removing a switch in the bathroom... if you don't find it anywhere else.

It's got to be there somewhere.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:08 PM   #16

NYYLON gets the prize for the best and most correct answer! Many thanks. The thermostat wire was located next to the forward slide out switch in the forward cabin. After removing the slide out switch, and looking really hard, I spotted it about 8 inches to starboard. A little fishing and out it came, along with the +/- 12VDC wires also needed.

I did a temp wiring to see if it all worked, and again NYYLON was correct, icebox. Tomorrow I will wire it permanently and finish the AC trim work. For those wondering about installing the unit, excepting the time spent looking for the wire, total install time is about 4 hours, including the hour necessary to remove the old skylight and caulking around it. Hats off to JAYCO for the perfect rough in.

The bad news is I discovered a few new projects. While looking for the thermostat wire I removed a ceiling speaker to get a look around and discovered why they sound tinny. New upgrade speakers on order. I also pulled the shelves out of the forward wardrobe because Jayco had said the wire might be behind a removable panel. So I removed them. 8 screws. BEHIND them (actually forward of them) is enough space to store things that you like hidden. Drawing up plans now.

Thanks for all the great replies.

23 days till the summer road trip: Cape Cod to Utah. Plenty of time!
Old 01-01-2017, 10:43 PM   #17

Was the ducting there to tie into for the rest of the coach?
Old 01-01-2017, 11:03 PM   #18

yes, just posted on the other thread.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #19

How did you remove speaker, I can't seem to remove the ceiling speaker is there a trick
Sbourgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:04 AM   #20

To remove the speaker you first pry out the metal grill. A packing puller works great or a small awl. Once the grill is off, there are 4 screws to remove and the speaker will drop out.

I replaced all my speakers to get much better sound.