Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #1

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 bhs-looking for the solar wire drop

So, been looking for the drop point for the wires that exit the rooftop solar rewire. For now, I just want to hook up a couple of panels to keep the battery charged.

The wires on the Go Power entry point look to be Red and Black (no picture sorry!). I have pulled off the cabinet wiring cover, on which the other side is the solar prep template, right above the green circuit board (first pic, looks like wiring spaghetti). I have examined the "hidden" fusebox/distribution center, don't see anything (all accounted for as far as i can determine, looks like a 12v dist. center). I have found what appears to be heavier gauge wires that lead back to the battery (Picture of the black and white wires parallel in the foreground, wiring spaghetti in the background, terminating in disconnected leads in the driverside battery/lift storage area). The last pic is whats behind the microwave.

I Can't find the solar drop! Is it behind the fridge? Am i missing something obvious? It seems that the solar prewire drop is not...there...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160302_125011.jpg   IMG_20160302_125101.jpg   IMG_20160302_125109.jpg   IMG_20160302_125130.jpg  
lancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #2

Lancehead, I think your hidden distribution is the remote board.

Where is your converter?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:31 PM   #3

The controller is down below, offset of the Oven. I can provide pictures tomorrow. I have not installed anything yet!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

If it's not behind your panel and not behind the basement wall under the stair area, then it must be behind the converter
Old 03-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #5

did you call jayco .they will walk you through it.or get you in touch with a tech.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #6

I found mine long ago.
I'm just wondering why it's so hard for you HT guys to find.
Look here http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...les-27207.html
Old 03-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #7

ok, thanks all. I will call Jayco and provide a status update.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #8

The pics are where Jayco said the solar controller goes (mine wasn't sent with the template). The drawing and measurements are from their factory techs - the CS manager sent me the template with the diagram on the back. I took a pic of where it looks like it should be, but I'm hesitant to cut into the wall at that location. I'm checking with my dealer to see if it's something their service techs can do.
I might have found the wires at the battery - one white and one black - both 8G - getting there slowly!

Kevlar119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #9

That does not look like a good location for the solar charge controller even if the wires do go there. You want the controller as close to the batteries as possible.

I would look into re-running wires if that is the case. Good spot for a remote but not the controller itself.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #10

This is the "controller" I'm referring to - thinking it's actually the remote for the controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
The wires are coiled up and hung behind the wall in the front storage. Where the rats nest of wires and plumbing are.

Here is the template, it is attached to the wall. Read the bottom line in yellow.

Kevlar119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #11

I just picked up my 29.5BHDS yesterday and was out looking for my solar drop after work. The "Solar on the side" that is up under the overhang runs directly to the battery compartment.

The Solar on the roof, has the connectors very near the vent that runs up from our bathroom sink (our bath is up front). Seems pretty close to where you are showing maybe....

I took apart the walls in the front basement storage expecting for the wires to be coiled and waiting for me. While I found quite a bit of wiring, I'm pretty sure that none of it is the solar wires that lead to the roof. I do have a template sticker on the wall. Something tells me that the wires are coiled up inside the wall. Going out to check and see if there is any way into the wall that doesn't involve cutting a huge hole....

Grrrrr.......
Old 03-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

Ok, here is what I found:

I tried to pull the shroud for the bathroom fan, not as easy as I thought, so I retreated from that idea. No other access to the wall, but wait, I wonder if I can see anything through the hole behind the thermostat.....

BINGO! The thermostat has a 2" hole behind it and i was able to get a couple fingers in there to fish around. They are inside the wall that is along the steps up to the bedroom, which is where my template sticker is on the wall. (May help to look at my floor plan).

Not sure if there is enough slack to make it to the basement, but I'll check that later. It's dark now.

So, from what I can tell, in order to get the wires where they need to go, you'll need to access the wall, then drill a hole up from the basement into said wall, somehow feed the solar wire through that hole and go from there. Would have been easier if they terminated them in the basement.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar119 View Post
This is the "controller" I'm referring to - thinking it's actually the remote for the controller?
Spent some time looking at Go-power's website. That template is intended to be for their charge controller. Their instructions say to install as close to the battery as possible(as you typically heard stated), but then go on to say that they are "usually installed above the fridge", I guess since the top of the fridge is so close to the batteries???

Is there anything in the back side of that wall that would provide access?

Your only other option may be too cut a hole in the wall, possible for a remote monitor?
Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #14

Well that is a ridiculous spot for them to expect you to put the controller.
What if you wanted a Morningstar controller? They aren't the most attractive controller and it would have to be flush mounted sticking off the wall with wires hanging out the bottom.

What is your plan for a controller?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #15

Well, anyone find them in a 26.5BHS yet?

@lancehead: Well, any update?
I see all the well intended replies from all except someone with a 26.5BHS but since my trailer is a 26.5 BHS I can't go look in those locations as they don't exist in mine. Lancehead's photos so far look just like mine.
I wrote Jayco 2x and got twice documents but one was a generic handout that was very much high-level about the solar (single page flyer for solar ready). The second direct request for specifically "where are the other ends of the wires from the roof solar connector" got me two schematics which are helpful and essentially say the wires go to the battery in both cases. Just the schematic shows the termination is at the battery.
The trailer was sold without a battery. When I went to pick up the trailer I brought one and just connected the two pairs of black/white cables (8 gauge) that were there. That seemed to power the trailer. Actually I didn't do it the tech at the dealership connected them but said there were two black, two whites and black went to positive and white to negative.
So, I do not see anything else labeled up there or unconnected. Is one of those pairs from the roof solar? Can't wait to find out.
Uploading an image of my small battery compartment rear side that according to the schematic one of those fuses/breakers back in there could be from the solar on the roof? However look at the connector in the photo from my roof. It is certainly not like the one in the schematic. There is one up front by the switch to extend/lower the legs/jacks that matches the schematic and has a Ready for Solar sticker there.
Attached Thumbnails
RoofConnector.jpg   BatteryAreaRear.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0062999_F_1-2_032415.pdf (89.0 KB, 48 views)
Onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #16

That's it right there Daddy... The top breaker with the red wire.
Is that an 8 ga?
The bottom breaker is going to your battery and the solar comes from its breaker and is attached to the 4 guage going to the battery.
Other side of the bottom breaker is going to the disconnect. Where the 4 guage wires from the converter are. And the green wire is 12v from your truck.

And if it's not an 8ga then it's the side solar connector.
You seem to be missing a breaker. You should have 3
Old 03-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #17

One more time with my picture.
The red 8ga is the roof solar (middle) the 12ga is the side solar (lower middle)
The battery breaker is in the battery compartment (not shown).
The other far left breaker 10g is the levelling.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
That's it right there Daddy... The top breaker with the red wire.
Is that an 8 ga?
The bottom breaker is going to your battery and the solar comes from its breaker and is attached to the 4 guage going to the battery.
Other side of the bottom breaker is going to the disconnect. Where the 4 guage wires from the converter are. And the green wire is 12v from your truck.

And if it's not an 8ga then it's the side solar connector.
You seem to be missing a breaker. You should have 3
Hmm, well according to the schematic it's 12 gauge. Can you imagine? If I wired it I'd have used 8 gauge minimum.

It seems Jayco is very progressive with the rainbow colored wiring. I think every time I turn the wire changes color

I am learning a lot though. I mean I thought boats were wired in interesting ways. They have nothing on RVs. Definitely not complaining or labeling it good or bad. Just quite interesting to see behind the scenes in my trailer.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #19

@klassic: I'm sure you mean well but that photo really doesn't help me understand what I have. I do have a much better idea how yours is wired though.
It wouldn't make sense to patch that connector up top to my Battery disconnect switch like it appears. That orange round thing is the main battery disconnect AFAIK.
Nope, no 8 gauge in mine. Must be the Eagle HT "Lightness" secret.
Oh, about the front connector for solar. I can see the wires for that to the front side of this same compartment. This is on the left side, the photo is to the right side.
The front connector appears to just be 12 gauge like the PDF schematic I attached a couple of replies ago. I guess I'll have to take a photo of that side.
I will go on the roof and measure the voltages on those connectors up there. If it's wired up as that photo shows I should get battery voltage up there.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #20

I think the one in your picture is the side solar.
Put a meter on your side solar connector see if you have 12v, then unhook that red wire from the breaker and see if it dies. Then you know that one is the side solar.
Then you know you don't have any roof solar