Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA (Brakes)

Help Needed! I have a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW 4WD truck. When I plug into the trailer it shows it's attached, get brake lights, turn signals and when I press on the brake it shows it sending the signal to the brakes..
If i squeeze the controller to send max power I can just roll my trailer back as if it has no brakes what so ever.
I have 4 option's to choose from in EVIC.. Light Electric, Heavy Electric, Light Electric over Hydraulic and Heavy Electric over Hydraulic.
I only tested with Light and Heavy Electric before returning to the dealership. Will test the other two options Thursday.

Took my trailer to the dealer they couldn't find any issues.. They connected to a Ford and its got brakes, hook it back to my Ram and have no brakes....

I pulled a 2013 Keystone Raptor with this same truck for over 5k miles and never had an issue....

Any other Ram owners seeing or having the same issue? Greatly appreciate any feedback or help.. Our first trip to FL is less then 3 weeks away.

RV-IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #2

I'm not a ram owner but I have that issue in my Ford
Ford says there's nothing wrong with it.
I drive it at 10 and have very little braking.

klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-IN View Post
Help Needed! I have a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW 4WD truck. When I plug into the trailer it shows it's attached, get brake lights, turn signals and when I press on the brake it shows it sending the signal to the brakes..
If i squeeze the controller to send max power I can just roll my trailer back as if it has no brakes what so ever.
I have 4 option's to choose from in EVIC.. Light Electric, Heavy Electric, Light Electric over Hydraulic and Heavy Electric over Hydraulic.
I only tested with Light and Heavy Electric before returning to the dealership. Will test the other two options Thursday.

Took my trailer to the dealer they couldn't find any issues.. They connected to a Ford and its got brakes, hook it back to my Ram and have no brakes....

I pulled a 2013 Keystone Raptor with this same truck for over 5k miles and never had an issue....

Any other Ram owners seeing or having the same issue? Greatly appreciate any feedback or help.. Our first trip to FL is less then 3 weeks away.
Have you tried pulling the breakaway switch to set the trailer brakes with the TT battery?
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I'm not a ram owner but I have that issue in my Ford
Ford says there's nothing wrong with it.
I drive it at 10 and have very little braking.
Are you using the Ford integrated brake controller? If so, IIRC for my '06 when you step on the TV brake pedal, trailer braking is gradually reduced as the vehicle slows down. Manually applying the trailer brakes by using the controller overrides the gradual braking reduction.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:01 AM   #5

My 12 Ram is like that. I recently read that Ram de-rates the voltage at lower speeds which would certainly cause the trailer brakes to not lock up. I do know that if I'm running at 35-?mph and hit the brakes hard for a panic stop the trailer brakes will work. It's really frustrating. I towed the same TT with both my Ram 2500 and a 2010 F150. With the F150 I could set the TBC up like you're supposed to and it was smooth and strong. The Ram feels weak until you have to hammer the brakes.
On a side not I had to take my Ram in for a recall and the dealer said there was a service bulletin for the TBC. I had them do it but haven't towed with it since. Won't know for a month or so if it changed any thing or not.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Are you using the Ford integrated brake controller? If so, IIRC for my '06 when you step on the TV brake pedal, trailer braking is gradually reduced as the vehicle slows down. Manually applying the trailer brakes by using the controller overrides the gradual braking reduction.
When squeezing the controller at 10.. Very little braking
I had an 06 and an 09 that worked perfectly.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #7

oldmanAZ, Driving a Ram and using the integrated brake controller on my truck. We tested my pinnacle with a Ford on the lot and it worked flawless.. Seems to be an issue with the integrated controller that Ram uses...
RV-IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #8

I have a 2015 Pinnacle and tow with a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW. I have mine on heavy electric set at 5 and have no issues.
When setting it to heavy electric and then going back in the display it would not be indicated that it was in fact on heavy electric. It took a few tries before it stayed there. I physically have to be hooked up with the cord plugged in or it won't allow you to set the option for what braking you want
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #9

There is a long thread on a Ram forum about this issue and the 2015 HD trucks. Supposedly Ram is looking into it but the thread is becoming old and may have just died. I'm having similar issues with my 2015 and would like better guidance than what is being provided.

Brake Controller - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums
Old 02-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #10

I have my Ram on heavy electric set at 6 on the IBC. No issues. Use max manual to test for proper hitch locking and it doesn't move. Not sure if anything is different between the 2014 and 2015.